PDA

View Full Version : Track

tommygun
26-02-2013, 08:28 PM
What's the track going to be like? :confused:

jameswilkinson7
26-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Don't know, why don't you have a go at designing one and stick it on here? I'm always up for ideas when it comes to track building!

Swell
26-02-2013, 09:35 PM
What happens to culingworth as the season changes?
Do you carry on indoors all year, wind up for summer or re-locate outdoors..... ?

jameswilkinson7
26-02-2013, 09:40 PM
What happens to culingworth as the season changes?
Do you carry on indoors all year, wind up for summer or re-locate outdoors..... ?

We carry on indoors.

Danny Harrison
26-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Don't know, why don't you have a go at designing one and stick it on here? I'm always up for ideas when it comes to track building!

I fancy having a crack at this you know. Do you have the rough dimensions of the hall by any chance?

Swell
26-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Good do

Bells
26-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Table top was good last time James , maybe one a bit lower with no exit ramp so it has to be driven onto and then jumped off ?

jameswilkinson7
26-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I fancy having a crack at this you know. Do you have the rough dimensions of the hall by any chance?

No, I always forget to take my tape measure!

Swell
26-02-2013, 10:02 PM
I reckon it will be exactly the same size as last week :p

Guess :eh?: some were between 10x7 or 12x9 ?
Anyone else want to have a guess

Bells
26-02-2013, 10:05 PM
I guess 14 mtr / 6.87 mtr roughly

neallewis
26-02-2013, 11:47 PM
I've been thinking we could make some curved jumps out of wood/mdf with a jigsaw cut smooth kickup. I guess storage is the issue?

Great_Thark
27-02-2013, 11:03 PM
15 X 9

Danny Harrison
28-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Ok I asked for that..... I'm bringing my tape measure and cracking out my CAD skills for next time :)

I had same idea for jumps. Storage is the problem. I think if we made them from plastic though they could be stored out back maybe?

Great_Thark
28-02-2013, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=Danny Harrison;750979]Ok I asked for that..... I'm bringing my tape measure

bit old skool

Bells
28-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I've been thinking we could make some curved jumps out of wood/mdf with a jigsaw cut smooth kickup. I guess storage is the issue?

I can make some no probs , as long as I make them all narrower by the thickness of material they will fit inside each other Russian doll style , have a chat with others on Friday and see whats suggested

Swell
28-02-2013, 07:42 AM
I had same idea for jumps. Storage is the problem. I think if we made them from plastic though they could be stored out back maybe?[/QUOTE]

I just tried to bend 12" of 8th ply into a kicker shape jump and its not playing
You could get a full sheet and lean it up against a wall so it bent under its own weight into desired shape.........

Where/What sort of plastic could we get hold of for free of course
(eyes pealed:

Bells
28-02-2013, 08:09 AM
I had same idea for jumps. Storage is the problem. I think if we made them from plastic though they could be stored out back maybe?

I just tried to bend 12" of 8th ply into a kicker shape jump and its not playing
You could get a full sheet and lean it up against a wall so it bent under its own weight into desired shape.........

(eyes pealed:[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean with the ply , it would have to be far eastern 6mm which is not cheap , about £20 for a sheet , to bend it I would just cut slots 3mm deep in the back of it , plastic is a good idea though but where from ? I don't have a clue

jameswilkinson7
28-02-2013, 08:45 AM
This is great stuff guys. I'm really pleased to see people taking such an interest in the track... Obviously space is the problem at Cullingworth. There was talk of being able to use the shed outside for some storage. I'm not sure if that offer is still open? Nori would need to ask the village hall guys. I quite like those little ramps we tend to put around the corners, Mark Dyson made those ages ago. I'd like to see more of those so we could have a proper bumpy corner!

Another thing I think would be helpful are some small sand bags or weights to hold the tyres in place. We are doing a pretty good job at the moment of taping all the track into place so it dosent catch on the cars and get moved about. But the tyres do still move about a bit.

How about trying to get hold of some small plastic domes too? we could make a cool bumpy section with those, I've seen them used as corner markers for touring cars, Not sure what they are called though?

Danny Harrison
28-02-2013, 05:18 PM
I have some of them domes here :) I'll fetch em down

Danny Harrison
28-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Maybe work out cheaper/better to buy something like these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-kids-scooter-BMX-skates-skateboard-jump-ramp-Plastic-launch-jump-ramp-/261150823614?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skateboarding_Sk ating_ET&hash=item3ccdcd54be

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rampage-Single-Launch-Skate-Ramp-BMX-Scooter-Inline-/230763891339?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skateboarding_Sk ating_ET&hash=item35ba998a8b

Theres loads on the bay. Ranging from a tenner upto some mega money.

What you reckon?

Some of them can stack inside each other for storage and also side by side to double the width.

Danny Harrison
28-02-2013, 05:31 PM

(eyes pealed:[/QUOTE]

You can bend/curve the plastic sheets permenently by using a heat gun to soften it. It keeps the shape when it cools down ;)

Bells
28-02-2013, 06:10 PM
This is great stuff guys. I'm really pleased to see people taking such an interest in the track... Obviously space is the problem at Cullingworth. There was talk of being able to use the shed outside for some storage. I'm not sure if that offer is still open? Nori would need to ask the village hall guys. I quite like those little ramps we tend to put around the corners, Mark Dyson made those ages ago. I'd like to see more of those so we could have a proper bumpy corner!

Another thing I think would be helpful are some small sand bags or weights to hold the tyres in place. We are doing a pretty good job at the moment of taping all the track into place so it dosent catch on the cars and get moved about. But the tyres do still move about a bit.

How about trying to get hold of some small plastic domes too? we could make a cool bumpy section with those, I've seen them used as corner markers for touring cars, Not sure what they are called though?

Do you mean football markers ? We could bond them to a sheet of ply and make a bumpy section similar to what some people ski on in competions , there cheap as chips on ebay

Danny Harrison
28-02-2013, 06:16 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONSTER-SINGLE-MINI-RAMP-/330846082011?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skateboarding_Sk ating_ET&hash=item4d07f693db

£15 quid in argos, couple off these wouldn't break the bank too much would it?

Bells
28-02-2013, 06:17 PM
A mogul that's what skiers call it

jameswilkinson7
28-02-2013, 06:34 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONSTER-SINGLE-MINI-RAMP-/330846082011?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skateboarding_Sk ating_ET&hash=item4d07f693db

£15 quid in argos, couple off these wouldn't break the bank too much would it?

I have a couple at home. They're a bit steep though, I'll fetch them and we can see...

Danny Harrison
28-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I have a couple at home. They're a bit steep though, I'll fetch them and we can see...

Steep is fun!

neallewis
28-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Far too steep really for inside. I was thinking a shallow curved kicker, or two. hit one land down the other. Jigsaw cut formers, with some flexible hardboard or very thin ply over the top. Something that flows, rather than a basic triangle ramp.

jameswilkinson7
28-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Far too steep really for inside. I was thinking a shallow curved kicker, or two. hit one land down the other. Jigsaw cut formers, with some flexible hardboard or very thin ply over the top. Something that flows, rather than a basic triangle ramp.

I'd love it if we could come up with some kind of rhythm section. Like a triple jump that can be done double, single, IF you get it right! :woot:

NeilRalph77
28-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Far too steep really for inside.

Can't be any steeper than the tables propped up like we've done in the past, these seem a far easier solution than building out of tables or building from scratch, like most features they'll depend on positioning but i think if you cut one lip off opposing sides off 2 of these so you could bolt them together nothing fancy just a bolt and wingnut they could work well, I've always loved the idea of a low box jump aswell only pallet high but so it can be used as 90`corner or straight over, but storage is king.

jameswilkinson7
28-02-2013, 07:20 PM
It's the kick up that makes them a bit steep

Bells
28-02-2013, 07:42 PM
I had a go this afternoon at bending ply to make a smooth kick up it worked well but was very slow cutting the back to allow it to curve without breaking , if we want these kind of ramps I think we should be looking at bendy mdf , this would allow us to make a double or triple at whatever distance apart we wanted , width about 4' height about 6 "" to 12"
Just google bendy mdf for a few things that can be done with it

NeilRalph77
28-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Why do they have to have a smooth shallow curve to them why not just flat sheets?

Swell
28-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Why do they have to have a smooth shallow curve to them why not just flat sheets?

It looks cool and chicks dig it :woot:

neallewis
28-02-2013, 09:16 PM
This video shows the sort of curved ramps I mean.

z8SkF92muKo

Sure that's a much bigger and faster track, but some small curved ramps like these will be great I think.

Also this:
We1WbIcMtag

Which shows the dots James means. You get 1 or 2 inside the box with a spectrum radio gear. They seem to have them at touring car races also, so must be available from somewhere?
The second vid also shows some small curved ramps with what looks like a flexible sheet, with three batons under, central one bigger than the outers, with the board taped to the floor. That seems to form a nice curve, but will be easy to store?

Also, what about halves of tennis balls stuck to a sheet of wood or carpet?

Swell
02-03-2013, 05:23 PM
14x13 leaves a bit of room for the steps

Also the sand bags what the vibe get rid or we could empty 70 percent of the sand out................
If we dont use them im happy to bring em home i will use the for a track in the field

charlie2
02-03-2013, 05:51 PM
14x13 leaves a bit of room for the steps

Also the sand bags what the vibe get rid or we could empty 70 percent of the sand out................
If we dont use them im happy to bring em home i will use the for a track in the field

Dont like the sandbags as they are.2 reasons,1 they obscure the apexes and 2 if you hit one it breaks your car!.think removing at least 50% of the sand would be better.also they leave sand allover the hall floor.

Great_Thark
03-03-2013, 12:14 AM
could use corrugated plastic sheet like this for jumps £20 for 3off 8' x 4' sheets

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Correx-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheets-X-3-For-Hutches-etc-/250991480140

How about something like this mini profile corrugated roofing for rumble strip. Its 32mm peak to peak so might still be a little deep. Certainly cheap enough.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240170/?source=123_75

neallewis
03-03-2013, 01:50 AM
I quite liked the sandbags last night, but do agree that we could loose some sand content and make them a bit lighter. I realy liked how they kept the track in position though, could have done with just a few more for up near the timing loop.

That corrugated plastic sheet might work well. how would it bond to the ramp shapers? will it take the abuse?

Great_Thark
03-03-2013, 09:11 AM
I quite liked the sandbags last night, but do agree that we could loose some sand content and make them a bit lighter. I realy liked how they kept the track in position though, could have done with just a few more for up near the timing loop.

That corrugated plastic sheet might work well. how would it bond to the ramp shapers? will it take the abuse?

the shapers would have to be the other way, that sort of sheet is rigid in one direction but not the other, Velcro maybe? Looking at ad that's only 2mm, probably similar to the partitioning material in your hauler bag, might need something a bit thicker.

Great_Thark
03-03-2013, 09:58 AM
hardboard probably cheapest easiest option

NeilRalph77
03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
they leave sand allover the hall floor.

Simply empty the required amount into a good strong plastic bag and replace into the webbing sack :thumbsup:

Tilly
04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi guyz
I've been thinking about the smaller table top idea and i've brought a few banana boxes home from work with me and a bigger box to flatten out to use as the ramp up and down it. I'll give it a try n see how it works at home and bring them to the nxt meeting to try out. If people don't think they're any good it won't have cost us anything after all. Storage wouldn't be a prob coz i could just bring the boxes on a friday when needed then take them bk to work the day after.

Craig

Danny Harrison
06-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi guyz
I've been thinking about the smaller table top idea and i've brought a few banana boxes home from work with me and a bigger box to flatten out to use as the ramp up and down it. I'll give it a try n see how it works at home and bring them to the nxt meeting to try out. If people don't think they're any good it won't have cost us anything after all. Storage wouldn't be a prob coz i could just bring the boxes on a friday when needed then take them bk to work the day after.

Craig

Great idea :thumbsup:

If their cardboard I think they wont last the night though to be honest.

charlie2
06-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Great idea :thumbsup:

If their cardboard I think they wont last the night though to be honest.

Definatly not danny the way you use the jumps

Danny Harrison
06-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Definatly not danny the way you use the jumps

Its all about the air time :p I can deal with breakages if i can fly for longer.

Tilly
07-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeh i know wot u mean guys the card might not be strong enough, I had a quick look on B&Q's website n they sell sheets of 3mm hardboard for around £5 which would be better. I'll try get down there in the nxt few days to see wot they have size wise and then go to Keighley timber n see if they sell sheets as they would prob be cheaper. That is unless any1 has any spare sheets of hardboard lying around that we could use.

Craig

Danny Harrison
07-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Are you thinking of making some and transporting them to and from home each week then? Hats off to you if you can, that would be ace :woot:

trevpotter
07-03-2013, 09:29 PM
I know what those little domes are called. There called a pain in the xxxx!!!!

neallewis
08-03-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't think hardboard will but up to the abuse to be honest. Not without some supporting jigsaw cut ramp formers under the board.
Thin ply will be best, but cost a little more. Ian Bellwood was investigating.
I've also got a Selco account, so can go check some prices.

I think Nori has enquired about using the outdoor shed to store some ramps/track. Once we get confirmation of this, we can safely build some new ramps.

In the short term, though banana boxes are pretty tough card, so would certainly do a meeting.

bricol
08-03-2013, 03:10 PM
I've got some suitable material I think. I'll get Peter on with making something over the weekend.

Say 4ft wide, 6" high, smooth up and down, 2 ft long ish sort of thing? Obviously carefully engineered to be perfect for a B3, not so good for anything made in the last 10 years?

Bri

neallewis
09-03-2013, 01:10 AM
sounds good.

Have a look at the track in practice at the latest EOS race this weekend. Some interesting obstacles there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IjbaXADz2c

8IjbaXADz2c

neallewis
09-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Say 4ft wide, 6" high, smooth up and down, 2 ft long ish sort of thing? Obviously carefully engineered to be perfect for a B3, not so good for anything made in the last 10 years?

Bri

Might be best in 2x 2ft sections that can be pushed together and taped down? just for carrying, handling and storage, etc.

Danny Harrison
09-03-2013, 01:24 AM
I've got some suitable material I think. I'll get Peter on with making something over the weekend.

Bri

Go for more like 12" high+ I reckon. With a downramp to land on. Maybe even a triple so some can clear it in 1 if they hit it right?

Tilly
10-03-2013, 12:23 PM
That sounds good, I like the idea of catchin some air

Danny Harrison
25-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Any more ramps/obstacles been in the making this week? :thumbsup:

Swell
25-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Any more ramps/obstacles been in the making this week? :thumbsup:

I have'nt i have been busy practiceing my dance moves :woot: (Robot truffle shuffle)

Ps i do hope no one else was thinking of useing this move :D

Tilly
26-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I haven't had chance to make anything yet due to the snow. I'm of work this week so hopefully I'll get a chance to look at something
Craig

Swell
12-04-2013, 07:34 AM
:confused: is this the norm?

I have only been to a few places but dont see this happening anywhere else.
(i know its a fun club we go to, But! when only a few people want to change mid racing its not fair for the remaining "fun racers")

Could we have a system set in place were as james says he is happy with the track and practice could start then if there is a problem in practice: changes are made prior to race heats so that when heats have started the track stays as is for the finals.

Not trying to start a bickering thread here, just think it would be easy to resolve the issue altogether we have a small venue and thus the track can never be perfect. :thumbsup:

jameswilkinson7
12-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Yes, that's how it should happen, we race when everyone is happy...

But if people feel strongly about a part of the track that they simply cant live with I believe its best to change it rather than they miss out. I'll race on anything, racing is racing whether it be an oval or a fancy assault course of a track, but some people can be quite fussy. That's fine though, different people like different things.

At the last meeting a couple of people were ready to not bother racing because they couldn't get on with the table top. Admittedly it wasn't the best, but we learn from our mistakes and if we don't try different things we will never know. They didn't ask to take the table top out, it was me that said if you feel that strongly about it then take it away....

Now, I belive the issue with it was that people were trying to take it too quickly. At the start of the meeting I put in two savage jumps leading up to that section that needed to be taken slowly or the car would flip up. This was there to slow the cars down on the approach to the table top.... Someone removed these and the next thing was we had was people flying up the ramp and bashing into the wall, then getting stuck.

I'm not the master track builder I'm just trying to get the job done so we can get racing. I welcome input from as many people as possible. We have tried lots of different stuff in the past so I have a fairly good idea of stuff that works and stuff that dosent. I'd love to see table tops, cross overs, flaming hoops and bare breasted cheerleaders on every section of the track :), but we have to work with the space we have.

I think tonight we should try and keep it simple, just the smaller jumps, carpet and shiny floor, one straight and a few twiddly bits:)

Maybe we could use this thread to come up with ideas for the next meetings...

I'm looking froward to racing tonight, we only have 25 people, so we should get plenty of heats in.

Danny Harrison
12-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Tracks are always quality mate, Its not as easy at it looks coming up with them on the spot. I tried and failed :)

Your never gonna keep everybody happy all the time, but I think it was the nice thing to do. Nobody had any practice for the new section for the final, so it kept it fair and everybody got to race.

I do however like the real difficult, technical sections :thumbsup:

I think if it was closer to the rostrum there wouldnt have been an issue, it was just a bit hard to judge with it being close to eye level (my eye level :lol:) and far away.

jameswilkinson7
12-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I think if it was closer to the rostrum there wouldnt have been an issue, it was just a bit hard to judge with it being close to eye level (my eye level :lol:) and far away.

You see this is one of the problems, if you have it closer to the rostrum then you cant see behind it from all points on the rostrum. You either end up with a bit of track space behind that cant be used, or people crashing because they cant see their cars! That spot is really the only area where a feature like that is viable.

Danny Harrison
12-04-2013, 11:02 AM
You see this is one of the problems, if you have it closer to the rostrum then you cant see behind it from all points on the rostrum. You either end up with a bit of track space behind that cant be used, or people crashing because they cant see their cars! That spot is really the only area where a feature like that is viable.

Ye didnt think of that m8. If we start using that shed, we should make a crossover with clear perspex or something, that would be ace. I liked the tabletop last time though, was nice to have a difficult section.

Aiming to get there before 6 today if your gonna be there.

Swell
12-04-2013, 04:07 PM
My main point ws if its been practiced on then that the time to change not mid race....
How do you know if your time have improved if the track has changed? Thats all...

So to clear it up there will be no system that say if its been raced on it stays???

jameswilkinson7
12-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Tonight we had a simple track with no major obstacles. I think everyone enjoyed their racing. Maybe in future if we try something out of the norm we should let everyone practice and then ask if they want it to stay like that or not before we start racing.

I think your right in what your saying Lee. once the racing starts the track needs to stay as is. Unless anything unforeseen crops up.

Great_Thark
13-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Tonight we had a simple track with no major obstacles.

Any corner is a major obstacle to me :blush:

neallewis
13-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Tonight we had a simple track with no major obstacles. I think everyone enjoyed their racing. Maybe in future if we try something out of the norm we should let everyone practice and then ask if they want it to stay like that or not before we start racing.

I think your right in what your saying Lee. once the racing starts the track needs to stay as is. Unless anything unforeseen crops up.

Yeah really enjoyed the racing tonight. Track got slippy in places with Shock oil, or was it the sand from the sandbags? Was fine again and back upto speed in the finals however. I'll get the videos up asap.

The issue with the table top the other week was that it was almost impossible for the marshals to reach the cars. Plus a lot of people broke their cars on it. I didn't actually ask to change the track, I just didn't want to race on it, and was happy to sit it out.

I'll get my jigsaw out now the evenings are longer and i'll try building some more humps and small jump.

We could do with the dimensions of the hall, so we can draw up a scale diagram and get some new track ideas. maybe get a selection of tracks drawn up, then have a vote to build them in voted order preference.

Bells
13-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I enjoyed the track last night but found it hard work , so slipy I think I'll buy a drift car :lol:

charlie2
13-04-2013, 08:43 AM
i think i had a drift car ian,steer from the rear!:woot:.good track last night tight and technical but with some flowing parts too.for me its better without the big table tops in,if i wanted big air i would take up supercross!:lol:.thanks to nori and crew for another good night