PDA

View Full Version : How do I join

Dr coolio
10-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi I'm James and just recently bought the brand new caster racing s10b 4wd brushless car. I bought this car to go racing and ur club looked the best so when do I start or join

Dr coolio
10-03-2013, 08:13 PM
If I can and its a buggy buy the way

paulc
10-03-2013, 08:39 PM
The car will be fine just turn up to a meeting and book in to race and ask Dianne about joining you will need a brca licence after you've done your first 3 meetings i think it is

Aire valley
10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Just look at the Race Calendar for details of meetings... Next one at whitcliffe is on 24 March..come along, speak to Dianne at Race control and join in...
Driving safely and avoiding other cars of course !.
Speak to any member for advice...:)

Oscar
10-03-2013, 08:59 PM
This is a question often asked, anyone up for writing a "Beginners Guide" which I can upload to the club website??

Dr coolio
10-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Oscar that's a great idea because I do not have a clue what to do and what's this licence

Dr coolio
10-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Sorry about spamming questions but I'm really anxious how long do my battery or batteries need to last thought about buying 1 that lasts about a hour. Mine only lasts 20mins

Danny Harrison
11-03-2013, 08:39 AM
A battery that lasts 20 min is more than enough bud. Each heat (race) lasts 5 minutes, you then marshal the next race (stand on track and put cars back on that crash). You have time to give your batteries a charge while your waiting for your next heat.

The BRCA license is like insurance you take out with the governing body for British radio control car racing. You can find out more about this when you come along.

I'll have a crack at doing a write up :)

Oscar
11-03-2013, 08:47 AM
I think if you can make it along to a club meeting, most of your questions will be answered easily ;)

Racing is as follows. You start off with rounds of qualifying "heats" where the only thing you are racing is the clock. Each heat is 5 minutes long so you will need a battery that lasts around 6 minutes just to be safe. After your heat you "marshal" the next heat (retrieve any stuck cars). Once you have done this you can put your battery back on charge as the other heats run through. At most club meetings we look to try have 4 rounds of qualifying.
Once qualifying is over, drivers are sorted into finals based on the times they set in the earlier heats. Finals are again 5 minutes long, but this time you are actually racing against the others in your final for position.
If you recharge between heats it is possible to use only 1 battery. I would personally recommend using at least 2 so they have time to rest and cool down between charges. If you do not recharge at the meeting, then you will need enough batteries to last about 30 mins.

Hope that helps:)

Tobamory
11-03-2013, 11:21 AM
James I will be going on the 24th, with my new cars also, I haven't raced for over 20 years, so I'd be more than happy to bang our heads together for the day, and see how we both do.

The guys at batley are very friendly and Diane will show you what's what.

I've been twice so far just to watch, as I didn't have my cars ready, but once I'm back in the uk I,will drive up on the 24th and have some practice.

My names Rob, let me know, I can come find you if you can make that day.

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Thank u every body:thumbsup: I would also like the idea of that tobamory just going to practice outside again but thanks again :)

Danny Harrison
11-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Get yourself a set of schumacher yellow mini spike tires too if you can. The kit tires wont work anywhere very well. I met a fair few who used kit tires and it wasn't a pleasant first experience ;)

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 03:59 PM
I recently just bought some slicks are they good or bad

And when does it start and finish

Danny Harrison
11-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Slicks will be great if you fancy having a drift session :p

You need the tires I posted above, mini pins are usually marginally faster but I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner.

All the info is on this forum at the top bud.

neallewis
11-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Sorry about spamming questions but I'm really anxious how long do my battery or batteries need to last thought about buying 1 that lasts about a hour. Mine only lasts 20mins

Lipo 2S hard case batteries are only allowed. If you shop at modelsport (staff who do not race), they will try to sell you 3S soft case packs, which are not allowed in racing.

A couple of 2S lipo hard case packs will be best, so you can charge in between races.

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 06:10 PM
So am I not allowed to use Nimh batteries and I think i will have to us my stock wheels seen that I have wasted all my money

Aire valley
11-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Lipo 2S hard case batteries are only allowed. If you shop at modelsport (staff who do not race), they will try to sell you 3S soft case packs, which are not allowed in racing.

A couple of 2S lipo hard case packs will be best, so you can charge in between races.

Bit cruel about Modelsport..! Some of the guys there, Jules, Bob, Gav and especially Paul and Simon Kemp, were probably racing before you we're born ,!:lol: All depends on the question the customer asks.....

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 07:31 PM
But i think mines a tamiya connector and I can't find any;:mad:

Great_Thark
11-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Neal's confusing the issue (as usual :-P). From the pics I've seen the castor uses saddles. Other people use Nimh but not many, you might struggle to charge enough between races, lipo's are more forgiving in this respect. Connector doesn't matter much, plenty of people with a soldering iron will give you a hand if you come with new battery and connectors, you will of course need a different charger. saddle nimh seem silly price for what you get. Best idea is probably to come along and struggle through with what you have charging as much as you can, if you don't make it all the way through its not the end of the world. You can get decent advice on what to buy for next time :-)

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks but by the way it's not a saddle it's the new caster and its the straight one its a storm 2300 Nimh takes about 45 mins to fully charge:blush:

Great_Thark
11-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Oops Neals right then.

If you don't want the expense of lipo and and a new charger you could get a spare 2400 from mb for £18. Two with a bit of charging should see you through

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 08:49 PM
So I need a lipoprotein but somebody could do the connector for me :confused:

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry lipo battery auto correct

Great_Thark
11-03-2013, 09:03 PM
somebody correct me if I'm wrong.. no you don't need lipo, but if you do use lipo (they are better than nimh), then the lipo needs to be hard case. Loads of helpful folks have soldering irons with them but you would need need to buy connector as well for them to solder on

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 09:06 PM
What's the cheapest lipo in the regs I've seen a lot that cost £90

Tobamory
11-03-2013, 09:13 PM
James MB Models do these.

I bought this which is £33 and will do the job
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/electrics/batteries/race/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-20c-40c-saddle-lipo.html

for my son, as it isn't has HI powered as mine

I bought at £60 for me
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/electrics/batteries/race/hpi-plazmapro-7-4v-5600mah-95c-lipo-batterypack-40-7wh.html

The HPIcomes with a balance lead also,, the Core comes with the Joiner lead all you need is to connect into the batt, either direct via Bullets like me, or make a lead with connectors like deans plugs. Most I see go direct from Speed controller into batt.

Dr coolio
11-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks just found a good looking overland battery

neallewis
12-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Bit cruel about Modelsport..! Some of the guys there, Jules, Bob, Gav and especially Paul and Simon Kemp, were probably racing before you we're born ,!:lol: All depends on the question the customer asks.....

No, not really, I've seen several people turn up at Batley last year after going to modelsport to buy stuff to race, come back having been sold 3s soft case packs.
yes the people in the back may know, but the boys they send out front of house don't have a clue, when I've been, or others I've spoken to who went there. The staff I've spoken to (in the last year) openly said they do not race, only bash, and no-one there raced.

Also, I remember them from the 80s... ;-)

neallewis
12-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Thanks just found a good looking overland battery

overlander packs are not BRCA legal, from memory, but only as they are hobby/basher packs, rather than something to race. so long as they are 2S lipo hardcase or Nimh, you'll be fine. no one will shout ;-)

MB models do a good selection of packs at all price points. You may need a charger, depending on what you have got, if you go lipo though. They don't charge the same way.

Also, Gens Ace packs, via http://www.GiantShark.co.uk or Turnigy via http://www.hobbyking.com UK warehouse offer good value packs for club racing.

If you turned up with your car, and asked someone to help out fast charging on your first go, that would be fine. At least then you could give it a try, talk to people, and work out what you needed for the future.

Dr coolio
12-03-2013, 06:50 AM
The overland I have looked at is a sport overland lipo hard case but after school I will take my phone to my nearest shop and look what my options are if they are any

Col
12-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Ok... the question of how to join has been answered.
I'm closing this thread as the same questions are been asked across both threads and it annoys me