PDA

View Full Version : josh_smaxx's ban

jasonnjane
16-07-2008, 05:26 PM
hi all...

just read the thread that was put up about josh_smaxx's ban.

well its a good story told from one side..

nothing mentioned about two club members who's parents are not letting them come to the club after one got shot and josh didn't know it even hit the lad.

yeah it was a toy gun but its not what it is its what you do with it.

RcRob
16-07-2008, 05:39 PM
One thread has already been closed becasue of where it went, but seen as your starting another ...

I can understand a club ban, but invovling the BRCA is a bit OTT in my opinion. I've seen people with paintball guns at events, nothing said. I've also seen people shouting and swearing to officals at events in a public place, a stern word said. Some of the things that have happened at events are worse yet nothing was done.

This is just a bit of fun gone wrong and taken far too far. Did any of the senior/committee members not think of taking the 'gun' for the night when it was first seen?

If Josh thinks he only shot two people, maybe someone else shot the third :confused:

jimmy
16-07-2008, 05:39 PM
To be fair to Josh, it wasn't one sided at all - in fact other people said more about the incident than Josh did. I think Josh has been quite mature about it and given a good account of himself despite his actions in a moment of foolishness.
Lets give him a break - he's been punished so there's not much left to say. Opinion on the level of his punishment is just that, opinion, and isn't going to change anything about his ban or the feelings of whomever he might have upset when the incident occured. Josh has said he's sorry, he's not been boasting or kicking off like some would - he's made a genuine mistake which I think we've all done at some point.

rcracer
16-07-2008, 05:47 PM
well its a good story told from one side..

did you not read the part were josh says he made a huge life changing mistake ??? he's gutted and knows he was wrong so why open a can of worms again starting a new thread to just make matters worse, he didnt come clean on here to be publicly flogged :thumbdown: best just drooping the matter now.

CLARKSON
16-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Some say he can shoot three people with 2 BB pellets.

All we know is, he`s called the smaxx :thumbsup:

jasonnjane
16-07-2008, 05:53 PM
One thread has already been closed becasue of where it went, but seen as your starting another ...

I can understand a club ban, but invovling the BRCA is a bit OTT in my opinion. I've seen people with paintball guns at events, nothing said. I've also seen people shouting and swearing to officals at events in a public place, a stern word said. Some of the things that have happened at events are worse yet nothing was done.

This is just a bit of fun gone wrong and taken far too far. Did any of the senior/committee members not think of taking the 'gun' for the night when it was first seen?

If Josh thinks he only shot two people, maybe someone else shot the third :confused:

the "gun" was not seen untill a member came up and showed us his arm where he was hit.

he was not happy about it at all.
josh had allready gone home by this time and he was shooting at cars inside and outside the building.

thing is we have a deaf lad who comes along with his father....you work out the rest.

yeah it seems a bit ovet the top but it was told to every committee member and the WHOLE story was told and decided from there what to do.

its not a lifetime ban but just a cooling off period and then to review it from there.

Lee
16-07-2008, 05:57 PM
How is a year a cooling off period? If he is denied his BRCA license then it is a lifetime ban!!

What is the whole story then seeing as you are in the know and Josh has missed out bits according to the gospel of jason and jane:confused:

Chrislong
16-07-2008, 06:02 PM
its not a lifetime ban but just a cooling off period and then to review it from there.

Lets not loose any racers due do this. I can see he did wrong, he can see he did wrong, you have responsibility for the care of your members so action needed to be taken.

Whats this about a deaf lad? Why is that significant? :eh?:

If the gun was powerful enough to mark skin, then surely it was not a toy gun and should be a police matter? Was it REALLY that powerful? My experience of BB guns is, well, I can throw the thing harder. I could do more damage with a nasty flick (oh, and probably mark skin too, ha ha)

gazbaz2
16-07-2008, 06:03 PM
The thing is that i have seen abit of so called fun go drasticly wrong with a BB gun as to a 12 year old nealy losing an eye, the little pellet ricochet off something, now after umpteen operations he is now 17 year old and still has to go and get it checked, they still dont know wether he will lose his sight in that eye at a very young age, all because someone was messing around with a BB gun,

we all like a little dangerous fun when we were a kid, but i didnt go and shoot people just because i knew them nor did i take anything like that to a club, oh and the fact is that parents from the children that got shot were going to go to the police about the matter.

Lee
16-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Gaz, if it was so bad why did they not go to the police?

stewcc
16-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I would like to say first off that I am impressed with the way Josh has now accepted that he did wrong and has accepted his punishment. A lot different than it appeared in the week following the incident.

As a club TRCC had to act in the best interests of all the members and people who attend meetings. As for any action that poses a danger to club users, they had no alternative but to issue a ban. They had a duty to inform the BRCA as the ban involved BRCA sanctioned events.

The only question I can see is the length of the ban. Many voices were heard for a complete ban and a year seemed a reasonable alternative. I am sure that if the incident was repeated in a public venue, the police would be involved and a lifetime ban would be forthcoming.

The TRCC committee are not ogres or kill-joys, but they do want a safe and pleasant club for everyone.

This is my opinion and is not necessarly the official view of the TRCC committee.

gazbaz2
16-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Gaz, if it was so bad why did they not go to the police?
because committee members talked them round after a long conversation/ groveling and said that they will deal with it

Lee
16-07-2008, 06:17 PM
As a club TRCC had to act in the best interests of all the members and people who attend meetings. As for any action that poses a danger to club users.

Are you banning IB4200`s, stanley knives, soldering irons, cars in the car park as well then?

losixxx
16-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Are you banning IB4200`s, stanley knives, soldering irons, cars in the car park as well then?
thats just dumb lee

gazbaz2
16-07-2008, 06:21 PM
now i think that is a little chilish dont you.
At the end of the day, he is banned and that is the decision of TRCC end of

Wraggy
16-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I could do more damage with a nasty flick (oh, and probably mark skin too, ha ha)
bit like the Wraggy slap on truman's back at Eden Park !!!! now left a mark !!:woot::woot:, i guess the ban will be coming in the post . ...

ben
16-07-2008, 06:48 PM
bit like the Wraggy slap on truman's back at Eden Park !!!! now left a mark !!:woot::woot:, i guess the ban will be coming in the post . ...

Im suprised you didnt get arrested for that offence:lol:

Lee
16-07-2008, 06:49 PM
now i think that is a little chilish dont you.
At the end of the day, he is banned and that is the decision of TRCC end of

Yes it was, but you bit pretty hard :lol::lol::thumbsup:

Like you say Gaz we cant do anything because what has been decided is done, but i feel that it will effect trcc more than it effects josh in the long term. I know a lot of people who will not be doing regionals or 1 off meetings in the future because of the vibe that the club has sent out over this matter:(

jasonnjane
16-07-2008, 06:51 PM
well a big thumbs up to lee.
we should just let everyone do what they want then!!

ben
16-07-2008, 06:53 PM
well a big thumbs up to lee.
we should just let everyone do what they want then!!

Sounds good to me :thumbsup:

losixxx
16-07-2008, 06:57 PM
really amaze's me how some people who don't know the full fact's of what actually took place can be so opinionated....!
i don't really think its in anyone's best interest to air this anymore, it is getting at tad boring
at the end of the day, someone did something that was wrong, he freely admitted it in his very first post....he's been punished by the people who are voted in to run the club within brca and health and safety guidelines....
if its there desicion to ban/suspend his membership what the hell has it got to do with anyone bar the club and the person concerned...

jim76
16-07-2008, 07:01 PM
well said losixxx.

let it lie now i think

someone close the thread?

jasonnjane
16-07-2008, 07:16 PM
yeah close the thread and what would be better if it and the other thread totally removed.

rcracer
16-07-2008, 08:06 PM
why open a can of worms again starting a new thread to just make matters worse, .

yeah close the thread and what would be better if it and the other thread totally removed.

:confused:

Jane
16-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I think you all need to realise that what Josh did was a serious matter and TRCC did act on his behalf so that the police did not get involved. If the committee only gave him a slap on the wrist then other members would think that it is ok to bring toy guns/catapults or whatever into the building. They have to act on behalf of all members including their safety. Josh was a fantastic help to the club during our move from the warehouse (also his dad), and it is such a shame that things have turned out the way that they have..

ashleyb4
16-07-2008, 08:39 PM
You didnt seem to act on joshs behalf at all. And i do agree the thread should be closed but it shouldnt be deleted.

Colinevan
16-07-2008, 08:43 PM

Err wasnt it you who re opened this thread STILL covering the same topic...

Im an outsider and have read both threads, my opinions which i would like to express are that yes he has acted stupidly and his actions may have caused an incident. Note the word May.

I'm a believer that in todays society punishment is not severe for virtually any crime that we see or read about etc.

This is a lad of just turned 16 who has been banned from his cub for 12 months and to then have the brca involved is a complete joke.

Im pretty sure that if someone might have had a quiet word at the time of said "tom foolery" then that would have put an end too it.

Out of curiosity do any of the said members of the comitee that banned the lad, do any of them now think that the penalty was too harsh. I dont recall any comments on here thats all.

Please feel free to comment on my thoughts.

Col.

Colinevan
16-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I think you all need to realise that what Josh did was a serious matter and TRCC did act on his behalf so that the police did not get involved. If the committee only gave him a slap on the wrist then other members would think that it is ok to bring toy guns/catapults or whatever into the building. They have to act on behalf of all members including their safety. Josh was a fantastic help to the club during our move from the warehouse (also his dad), and it is such a shame that things have turned out the way that they have..

Well i dont think that it really was a serious matter, im pretty sure that if the police would have been involved they would have removed the bb gun and told the lad off (verbally)..

What you say on other members thinking it would be ok to bring other bb guns catapults etc in is absoloutely rubbish. Who on earth would think that just because he only got a slap on the wrist. Madness!!

Col.

sparrow.2
16-07-2008, 08:56 PM
You ban a 16 year old for 12 months and effectively get him banned from racing elsewhere as well for going over the top a little. On top of all this you wait for him to have left and don't give him the chance to defend himself or repent before you hand out drastic sanctions.
That is a great way of saying thank you for his and his families involvement in your club...

As stated before I in no way condone the behaviour but would have expected a little more down to earth decisionmaking from people who ought to know better.

This threads should not be deleted in my opinion as Josh opened the other one to confess and repent.

Petition is here by the way :) --> http://www.petitiononline.com/JOSH1234/petition.html

Chrislong
16-07-2008, 08:59 PM

It must have been more serious than it reads then, im in no position to pass judgement, but thats how it reads. Its a shame to loose a member which i have said before, but more so a shame to loose an asset to the club.

You are good people at TRCC, well, Gaz is :lol: (I don't know the others), you have to take responsibility of the members which is what you have done. Still those not involved (us lot) will pass judgement on the information available, and in my opinion it looks bad on TRCC. Which perhaps leads me to think, this subject should perhaps not have been brought to public forum beyond the apology from Josh. But it has. Anyway, hindsight.

If the police had been called. Would it have been a slap on the wrists and a stern warning to Josh that there is a time and a place to play with toy guns? Perhaps this would have been less severe than the racing ban. Heck, id have preferred a day or two behind bars than a 12 month ban from racing given the choice. But im not 16 & will try not to act like it, but Josh is.

peetbee
16-07-2008, 09:17 PM
You ban a 16 year old for 12 months and effectively get him banned from racing elsewhere as well
It's the getting him banned from racing elsewhere that seems harsh to me.
Fair enough if you don't want him to race at your club that's your prerogative, especially if you have to appease other members.
It would seem from his posts that he's learnt his lesson and he wouldn't be daft enough to do the same again so why not let him race away from your club?

vinny20
16-07-2008, 09:22 PM

ERMM you do no you are out numberd on this thread just about everone is backing josh we all no he made a mistake he even said so. Just give him a break give it a rest pal

jim76
16-07-2008, 09:29 PM
oh god, vinny is getting involved now.
no one actually knows what action the brca are taking yet do they? the issue has been reported to them in line with the rules, but until there is official word from them he may well be able to race elsewhere.

at the end of the day, if there were several members who would cease to attend because of Josh's actions, is it not better to ban one member to appease several others?

jimmy
16-07-2008, 09:32 PM
haha, yeah lets cool it down guys - there's no need to go crackers in here. I already closed the other thread, I'm not closing another! ones my limit. I just ask that people respect everyone and think before posting.

vinny20
16-07-2008, 09:34 PM
We all no josh is in the wrong but we should at least thank him for telling the truth no manny people can HANDLE THE TRUTH

vinny20
16-07-2008, 09:34 PM
jimmy right lets all stop :thumbsup:

losixxx
16-07-2008, 09:37 PM
ERMM you do no you are out numberd on this thread just about everone is backing josh

sum's you up really vinny, pathetic and you sparrow

sorry but this is really pissing me off....the bloke has admitted he was in the wrong, if memory (without re-reading the thread's) didn't a pellet actually hit someone! just imagine if it was you being shot!!!!!!!!!!!

jimmy
16-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Lets also not start calling things pellets - next they'll be bullets or missiles!

Interesting fact is that I got 'done' by the police when I was about 8 for dropping peanuts out of a first floor hotel room window onto shoppers heads in a city centre hotel. The police actually called them 'missiles' - so I'm going to go and eat some missiles and finish the Euros photo galleries.

rcracer
16-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Lets also not start calling things pellets - next they'll be bullets or missiles!

Interesting fact is that I got 'done' by the police when I was about 8 for dropping peanuts out of a first floor hotel room window onto shoppers heads in a city centre hotel. The police actually called them 'missiles' - so I'm going to go and eat some missiles and finish the Euros photo galleries.

be careful jimmy there could be some explosions AFTER you eat the missiles :lol:

gazbaz2
16-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Right i think we should all stop slagging the club and people on here off, its starting to get boring, hes made his public announcement shall we just leave it at that then people

Chrislong
16-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Right i think we should all stop slagging the club and people on here off, its starting to get boring, hes made his public announcement shall we just leave it at that then people

Yes, and Jimmy should put his missiles away. :lol:

Darren Boyle
16-07-2008, 09:55 PM
OMG, what a complete over reaction from most people concened!!!

Colinevan
16-07-2008, 09:56 PM

sorry but this is really pissing me off....the bloke has admitted he was in the wrong, if memory (without re-reading the thread's) didn't a pellet actually hit someone! just imagine if it was you being shot!!!!!!!!!!!

TBH if the pellet hit me at close range, i prob wouldnt even feel it. Are you familiar with these bb guns that could be bought from £2.99 upwards with 100 lightweight plastic balls that resemble small lightweight peas. They really are toyish. Im sure that some of the toys i had like cars that used to fire missiles were of equal power.

Also why start calling people names, i dont see anyone calling you, so why re taliate.

Col.

antnee
16-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Josh, in case you haven't seen the petition page, 'joe' wrote this;

if you need insurance to race, then join the British Model Flight Association (BMFA), it covers you for land, sea and air competitions. Plus the BRCA accepts it for nationals.

seems a way to get around it and support another club, but remember to send TRCC a postcard

Colinevan
16-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Why is it that everyone asking for calm or this thread to be closed or locked are the ones that are quite happy for the lad to still be banned. Do you still feel that the actions implied are fair?

This should be left open for discussion.

sparrow.2
16-07-2008, 10:07 PM

And me what?

Public forum, freedom of speech bla bla bla

Just don't like seeing kids treated like criminals for misdemeanours and punishments not fitting the crimes. Don't particularly like being called names either :)

I'm off to cause public chaos with a pea-shooter, or maybe I'll try kill someone with spitwads...

gazbaz2
16-07-2008, 10:11 PM
dont like seieng kids neely going blind in 1 eye from a bb gun

Garry Driffill
16-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Gaz ill have that speedo for you at Batley :)

gazbaz2
16-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Gaz ill have that speedo for you at Batley :)
Cheers matey, class

dave p hall
16-07-2008, 10:26 PM
dont like seieng kids neely going blind in 1 eye from a bb gun
when i went to school:woot:some one fired a paper pellet at my eye with a catapult:thumbdown:stung like f***the lad who did it got a severe telling off,punishment.but it was accidental,and said person was very sorry,and admited to been very stupid.i think josh getting a ban is a bit harsh,im sure we have all made mistake's:confused:may be club's should start stating not what to bring into club premise's,what behaviour is expected.

ashleyb4
16-07-2008, 10:30 PM
be careful jimmy there could be some explosions AFTER you eat the missiles :lol:

I have some major explosions after i eat beans.

A

mole2k
16-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I personally think a month or two's ban with a probationary period after that would of been a much more suitable punishment.

losixxx
16-07-2008, 10:36 PM
And me what?

Just don't like seeing kids treated like criminals for misdemeanours and punishments not fitting the crimes. Don't particularly like being called names either :)

I'm off to cause public chaos with a pea-shooter, or maybe I'll try kill someone with spitwads...

pathetic you've started a stupid petition

phil c
16-07-2008, 10:42 PM
well i have signed it , think the ban is to long , and the brca ban totally over reaction :thumbdown:

sparrow.2
16-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Thank you for the kind words. Sadly I didn't start the petition, just linked to it.
Don't like it, don't sign it!

racingdwarf
16-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Having read his thred and a few others on here I think it was a club problem if they wanted to ban him for a year , no probs I fully understand......But a full BRCA ban untill the end of the year? over the top.
Can't help but think this is politicaly correct thinking as it was a ,dare I type it........gun

DCM
16-07-2008, 11:10 PM

actually, you agreed to terms and conditions, so freedom of speech is removed.

Right, with regard to Josh, he was stupid and childish, but ultimately, he has been forced to realise this, but maybe to late?

The Club, they have taken a responsible role on this, as to the 'extent' of the punishment, that is up to the club, Josh and the BRCA, if Josh feels that his punishment is overly severe, I believe there is a grievance procedure he can use.

BB Guns.... guys, there are BB guns.... and there are BB GUNS.... you can buy the toys and the replica's, the replica's can be stripped and (illegaly) upgraded in the spring and ball department, as I don't know what gun he had and whether it has been fettled, being able to subjectively assess it's risk is impossible.

As for calling of banning of certain tools, kinda pointless really, as a soldering iron is a safe item until used stupidly, just like outside, you can carry certain knives, as long as you have a legitimate reason to be carrying it.

In the end, this enflamed responses will do nothing to help Josh maybe negotiate his way back into the club, if he wishes to do that.