PDA

View Full Version : Important Items for New Season

rowley
11-03-2013, 01:28 PM
All - I have put some points on the website but to ensure everyone is in the know, please see below:

1 - In order to reduce the chaos at the first meeting, please can you help by sending your membership renewals in the post by the 7th April. This is just to help speed things up when booking in starts on 14th April.

2 - We are giving those who use the current handout transponders (attached list at the bottom of the news page on the website) first refusal on purchasing one for £40. This doesn't have to be paid in one go but we need to know by 7th April if you wish to purchase one at this discounted price.

We are changing to the new system therefore reducing the number of 'Handout PT's' we can offer.

newberyclan
11-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Does this mean people with mrt transponders will have to buy new ones ?:(

Team 36
11-03-2013, 07:09 PM
I have mylaps transponder will that still be alright to use??

jonathan may
11-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Does this mean people with mrt transponders will have to buy new ones ?:(
i think so yeah rc4 does not work with them i dont think the old red square amb transponder will work either but might be wrong

rowley
11-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Apologies, I should have explained better.

We will be transferring to the new AMB RC system which does not support any other transponders but the AMB ones. This applies to ALL genuine AMB RC digital transponders, which ever shape.

Those who we believe is a small amount, will have to switch to the AMB transponders and these are available by trading in your non-AMB transponder for a discounted price to buy a genuine AMB transponder.

Whilst in the first instance, this affects those with MRT transponders, we are aware that there are drivers who will be wanting to race with the new type transponder. We would like to cater for all but unfortunately we are unable to and we have to change with the way things are going.

Thanks and apologies for not explaining before.

fencer39
11-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Came racing a few times last year and was told to get a pt and pointed in the direction of the mrt so I bought 1. Now, less than a year later you advise us to spend more cash and trade in something because of a new system.

Don't think I'll be supporting your club this year.

Gotta admit those days in Blundles carpark was what club racing was about.

Change for the sake of changing to something shiny coz its new & fashionable , unfortunately is what has become of this sport.& it dont help the newbies!

-2 trccc

jonathan may
11-03-2013, 11:32 PM
I think a lot of people will be put off by this :( but that applys to all club that upgrade i would say half of the people who race at tiverton use a mrt.

highlander
12-03-2013, 06:07 PM
well i think its great that tiverton are keeping up with the times
top job guys

i will be joining the club in full this year
lee

Mowen208fly
12-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Came racing a few times last year and was told to get a pt and pointed in the direction of the mrt so I bought 1. Now, less than a year later you advise us to spend more cash and trade in something because of a new system.

Don't think I'll be supporting your club this year.

Gotta admit those days in Blundles carpark was what club racing was about.

Change for the sake of changing to something shiny coz its new & fashionable , unfortunately is what has become of this sport.& it dont help the newbies!

-2 trccc

So how would you feel if you came to the meeting new to the hobby and had just brought the new AMB transponder and couldnt use it?? as that could be the case :o Its very hard to keep everyone happy and sometimes you can't ! I do believe AMB are doing a deal for users to trade in there MRT I think but correct me if I am wrong.

steveuk
12-03-2013, 11:00 PM
It seems a shame that we can use MRT transponders at every other club in the south west with the exception of tiverton. You are effectively asking us to buy a new transponder just to race at one club especially if you are removing the handout option.

Anyone who buys a purcy that will work at tiverton is going to struggle everywhere else. I assume that they will be warned of that?

Steve

coolcars782
12-03-2013, 11:25 PM
It seems a shame that we can use MRT transponders at every other club in the south west with the exception of tiverton. You are effectively asking us to buy a new transponder just to race at one club especially if you are removing the handout option.

Anyone who buys a purcy that will work at tiverton is going to struggle everywhere else. I assume that they will be warned of that?

Steve

We are not removing the handout option, that will always be available, we are selling some of the current RC4 'Harry' handout transponders, and then replacing the ones sold with latest RC4 Pure 'Purcy' transponder.

Every other club in the South West could upgrade to the RC4 decoder, it's just we have chosen to do this now, as have the BRCA 1/10th section. See here - http://www.brca.org/index.php?q=content/transponders-2013-110th-road-nationals/19616

Taken this from the BRCA as it applies to the situation..
The decision has been made for the following reasons :-
1. Our current Decoder is several years old and is due for upgrading/replacement.
2. If the current Decoder develops a fault during the season, any repair/replacement would be to the RC4 Spec., as the manufacturer no longer supplies Decoders of the older versions. It is easier to organise this transition before the National Series commences than take the chance of it happening during the Series of events.
3. We know that some RC4 (Purcy) transponders have already been purchased. As the Section supplies the timing equipment at these events, we consider that we are responsible for being able to record times from any competitor that has a genuine AMB/MyLaps transponder.
4. AMB/MyLaps have advised that the current 'Harry' transponder will record better signal values when used with the RC4 decoder. This is a 'step forwards' which may help to alleviate missed laps which can occur.

Bernie_W
12-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Found This image might help.

http://www.oople.com/forums/[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/Tidustom/AMB1_zpsd66fd415.jpghttp://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/Tidustom/AMB1_zpsd66fd415.jpg

jonathan may
12-03-2013, 11:58 PM

http://www.oople.com/forums/[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/Tidustom/AMB1_zpsd66fd415.jpghttp://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/Tidustom/AMB1_zpsd66fd415.jpg
very good find you dont need a purcy to race at tivvy any digital amb transponder will work purcy only works on rc4 but at a faster rate

lardy37
13-03-2013, 01:18 AM
i read something the other day saying that the mrt will still work but they are likely to miss laps, apparently about 1lap in every 4 will miss but dont quote me on that, i will try and find it

Mowen208fly
13-03-2013, 11:38 AM
I raced at a meeting a few weeks ago and they were running both the new and old decoders and the new one did not pick up the Mrt! As far as Tiverton changing the decoder THIS is the right choice going forward so that if someone new turns up with a new Amb they can still race but if you turn up with a Mrt YOU can still race as we have handouts so you will always get to race so personally I don't see what the problem is just my 5 pence worth!

danharding
13-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Personally I don't understand why you would change a perfectly good working piece of kit for a new one just because its on offer, they still sell the harry new so transponders are supported.

If the Tiverton decoder is on its last legs or unreliable then fair enough take advantage of there offer.

I think you will be upsetting a lot of MRT owners, and possibly putting of new members as now there transponder cost has nearly doubled.

I hope you have a lot of handout transponders.

Mowen208fly
13-03-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.brca.org/index.php?q=content/transponders-2013-110th-road-nationals/19616

So what will those that have mrts do when they want to race at end of year finals or nationals???

Team 36
13-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Hi I have mylaps rc4 hybrid transponder I brought from the club last season will I have to go out and buy a new one or can I still use this one!!!!

jonathan may
13-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi I have mylaps rc4 hybrid transponder I brought from the club last season will I have to go out and buy a new one or can I still use this one!!!!
No you can still use that one its called the harry it will work

Team 36
13-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Ok thanks you mate!!!

danharding
13-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Most people that are running MRT's are racing on a budget and a lot of those people are not interested in doing any thing more than a bit of club racing and at a push a regional, it's these people that this is going to affect.

sawmiller
13-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Most people that are running MRT's are racing on a budget and a lot of those people are not interested in doing any thing more than a bit of club racing and at a push a regional, it's these people that this is going to affect.

+1

TO mowen208fly

Tivvy has been a good members club for the last 20 years and the same faces keep coming week after week, year after year. Many of which have absolutely no intention of racing nationals. But you'd know that right?

Mowen208fly
14-03-2013, 07:26 AM
+1

TO mowen208fly

Tivvy has been a good members club for the last 20 years and the same faces keep coming week after week, year after year. Many of which have absolutely no intention of racing nationals. But you'd know that right?

My post was not just about nationals also end of year finals and veterans finals which (and quote me if I'm wrong we have quite a few members go to ) personally attacking what I know about the club on a forum is not very fair I was just trying to point out what else the transponder issue can effect. My name is Martin Owen and I'm not one to hide behind forums and user names I have an opinion and more than happy to talk rc cars till the cows come home (except if wife is around she hates them):p

Team 36
14-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I think people forget it is hobby it just a bit of fun on a Sunday this is going to be my 3rd season of racing I have seen a change in rc racing not everyone as the big budget to spend on there hobby!!

rondoolaa
16-03-2013, 01:51 AM
it wont affect me but i feel for those that have gone out and bought the mrt ones only to be told they cant use them

i beleive this: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it.html

Mowen208fly
16-03-2013, 05:09 AM
Wow my soapbox is almost worn out:thumbdown: Not in one post on this thread has anybody asked why the club is changing the decoder! :o:o is it because its new and shiny ? Is it to be awkward? Do we want people not to race with us?? It's not any of the above:o the decision was made thinking about the clubs future :) how much is a new decoder to replace if it goes wrong ? By changing now to the new one the club has saved £600 pounds :thumbsup::thumbsup: which is a great thing in these times :thumbsup: decisions like this in the past and in the future have assured this club has survived through the bad and the good times :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cornishboy176
16-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Mr Owen,doesnt the phrase "moving with the times and trends" come to mind :thumbsup:

Ok,so some people might have to buy new transponders,I don't think Tiverton Commitee did that on purpose to stop people from racing,just basically looking towards the future of the club

Looking forward to the new season

Dan Pickard
16-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Can someone please clarify if we are able to exchange our MRT transponders for the AMB ones? If so how much will that cost and what is the procedure for that?

steveuk
16-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Dan

If you go to the BBK website I believe they are doing a 'deal'. It's around £41 if they have any in stock.

Steve

Mowen208fly
16-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Can someone please clarify if we are able to exchange our MRT transponders for the AMB ones? If so how much will that cost and what is the procedure for that?

Dan worth speaking to Rob maybe?

steveuk
16-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Dan

BBK trade in is £42 + old transponder for a harry or £32 + old transponder for purcy. Obviously purcy will only work at tiverton.

Steve

Danny Harrison
16-03-2013, 02:30 PM
It is a bit harsh for us who bought MRT's recently. I got mine in september and couldn't really afford an upgrade.

Bit the bullit though and traded it in last week, £35 and my MRT for a harry. Bah :( done now though.

It's not end of world compared to what we spend on other things though really, and I'm probably poorer than most you guys at the min. :cry:

Alan - South West RC
18-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Just a quick question, has anyone who is unhappy with the MRT sitution contacted MRT and asked them what they are going to do about it? After all they did make the units so surly it's down to them to sort out :confused:

coolcars782
18-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Just a quick question, has anyone who is unhappy with the MRT sitution contacted MRT and asked them what they are going to do about it? After all they did make the units so surly it's down to them to sort out :confused:

I'm not sure MRT would do anything about it due to the way the transponders work. From what I've heard is the MRT only transmit 1 signal, whereas the AMB/MyLaps transponders transmit 2 signals. Also I don't see any reason for MRT to do anything about it since they were only 'compatiable' with the RC2/3, as an alternative to the, expensive, original AMB pt. At the moment I write this, you would only saving £5-£15 by purchasing an MRT pt over a MyLaps 'Purcy'/'Harry'.

metalmickey0
18-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Going by this list then, the pt i got is the best as it will work everywhere. I got the 3 lug version:thumbsup:

Mowen208fly
18-03-2013, 12:58 PM

Very good point !

Alan - South West RC
18-03-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure MRT would do anything about it due to the way the transponders work. From what I've heard is the MRT only transmit 1 signal, whereas the AMB/MyLaps transponders transmit 2 signals. Also I don't see any reason for MRT to do anything about it since they were only 'compatiable' with the RC2/3, as an alternative to the, expensive, original AMB pt. At the moment I write this, you would only saving £5-£15 by purchasing an MRT pt over a MyLaps 'Purcy'/'Harry'.

This was kind of the point I was making but not actually saying it ;). It's down to MRT to bring out a new or updated pt that is compatible with the new system. It's not down to MyLaps to halt development because somebody that copied their product doesn't have something compatible.

From the point of view of Tiverton club the reasons given were good reasons to upgrade. The clubs equipment was old and they were offered a very good deal on the new unit. It made perfect sense for them to upgrade at this time.

Mark Field
18-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Personally I don’t think it is possible to please everybody, and as Tiverton have handouts it does alleviate the issue, but it is a shame that racers have to pay out for new transponders! I can see a day where AMB keep changing the transponders on the premise that the new one is better and force a change of transponders every couple of years, just imagine how much money is in that world wide for AMB!?!?! I have never had a missed lap in 6 years of running personal transponders so the statement of reducing missed laps a little misleading.

Having said the above AMB are a business and need to make a profit as all businesses need to! Including all the manufacturers involved in radio controlled car racing, we all spend money on racing, (some more than others) and surely lap counting is no less important than any other aspect. It’s just a shame AMB feel the need to make their system a monopoly!!

I just wish Clive and Terry at MRT would develop and manufacture a system of their own!!

Freakypen
19-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Ok - everyone bring a stopwatch, clipboard and a pen. Problem sorted!;)

highlander
19-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Ok - everyone bring a stopwatch, clipboard and a pen. Problem sorted!;)

lol and tenth markers
i remember racing at st austell and when race control said race finished you had to stop on track .." i used to sneek a extra tenth in when terry was'nt looking":wub

yin
19-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Personally I don’t think it is possible to please everybody, and as Tiverton have handouts it does alleviate the issue, but it is a shame that racers have to pay out for new transponders! I can see a day where AMB keep changing the transponders on the premise that the new one is better and force a change of transponders every couple of years, just imagine how much money is in that world wide for AMB!?!?! I have never had a missed lap in 6 years of running personal transponders so the statement of reducing missed laps a little misleading.

Having said the above AMB are a business and need to make a profit as all businesses need to! Including all the manufacturers involved in radio controlled car racing, we all spend money on racing, (some more than others) and surely lap counting is no less important than any other aspect. It’s just a shame AMB feel the need to make their system a monopoly!!

I just wish Clive and Terry at MRT would develop and manufacture a system of their own!!

Then i belive their pt would not be as cheap as they are.
The old saying buy cheap buy twice. Sorry but true.

rondoolaa
21-03-2013, 01:13 PM
at the end of the day its mylaps / amb everyone should complain too,

for a few extra pence they could have made their rc4 decoder compatible with the mrt transponders but being a business they want to have their transponders as the market leader and dont care who they upset, ( mrt or the racers who own them ) its not trccc's fault its mylaps / amb's,

and yes, this may be utter nonsence to you, \/ but i'm just saying its not tivvys fault that the mrt transponders dont work with the new decoder and mylaps want only their transponders to work with their decoders,

TheReferee
21-03-2013, 08:11 PM
at the end of the day its mylaps / amb everyone should complain too,

for a few extra pence they could have made their rc4 decoder compatible with the mrt transponders but being a business they want to have their transponders as the market leader and dont care who they upset, ( mrt or the racers who own them ) its not trccc's fault its mylaps / amb's,

what utter nonsense

jonathan may
21-03-2013, 08:40 PM
At the end of the day amb/mylaps make the transponder system why should they make a new system that can use clone transponders and do them selfs out of sales no doubt that mrt will come up with something in the near future . it a bit like having a sanwa transmitter and then moaning you cant use your old spektrum receviers.

tivvy is not the only club with this issue i know of 2 clubs in devon that are upgrading to rc4