PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone 2wd Regional

Snapper
17-07-2008, 10:21 AM
A few improvements have been made to the track since the 4wd meeting, namely the removal of the bunny hop, filling in a dip and removing a bump at the end of the straight which caught out a few cars, sending them flying off the track, and removing the metal rods which hold down the track marking as they proved to be car breakers, so hopefully more fun, less expense this weekend.
Hopefully, John from The Race Place, despite a hangover from his anniversary party the night before, will be available to run the meeting and give his usual entertaining commentry.
Gates will be open from 7.00 am, and the track will be open for practice from then.
There will be no burgers, so please remember to bring your own food this weekend.
See you all Sunday.

Darren Boyle
17-07-2008, 10:49 AM
See you all there.....

spenner
17-07-2008, 01:26 PM
See you all there.....

Wait.... do i detect Mr Boyle is wiping off the cobwebs ??????

Darren Boyle
17-07-2008, 03:18 PM
You will have to show me the way round the track John, forgotten what it is all about mate. Even WD40 dont touch this rust!!

Cant believe I am getting out of bed at 5am this weekend, unheard of....

See you there mate bright and early on sunday

Big E
17-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Some one had best pick up 10 pairs of shin pads for the marshalls :thumbsup:

Darren Boyle
17-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Why is your set-up that poor then????? LOL

Teddy truman
18-07-2008, 10:05 AM
pendle national is cancelled so i heard so i might come to a regional:thumbsup:

GPS1
18-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Truman says: Do the regional or go home!!

pesky badger
19-07-2008, 03:28 PM
If the gates open at 7am, what time is the drivers' brief, booking in and first round? :)

jim76
19-07-2008, 07:57 PM
booking in usually around 8:30. First round is normally under way by 10am

jim76
20-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Another enjoyable day at Silverstone today. A far smoother meeting than the 4wd, both in terms of computer issues and track issues. The few changes made since the 4wd have definitely enhanced the track.

Really looking forward to next year now, once all the infield is complete etc.

Big thumbs up to Graeme and co for their time and effort

GPS1
20-07-2008, 09:00 PM
A big well done to Mark & Bruce for running a much smoother and more professional meeting today!
And thank you to all the drivers I spoke to for the positive comments regarding the track! It's amazing just how much difference a few small adjustments make!!
Just to confirm a few things for the future:
1/ The two 'Lumps' will be re-shaped into lower table-tops
2/ The triple will be re-shaped to give a more consistant take-off/landing
3/ The wall-ride will be smoothed off more
4/ The new Astro turf should be on site sometime in August allowing the much needed in-field to be laid.

Darren Boyle
20-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Yep, well done to everyone from Silverstone who is involved with the running, organising and upkeep of the club :thumbsup:, I was very impressed by what you had achieved in such a small time. The improvements that Graeme mentions will only make the venue better still. Racing today was close and competative and produced some great on track action. From my point of view is was great bumping into many people that I had not seen for some time and catching up etc

I was very pleased with the third on the grid I got and particularly pleased to be the only person to get a 15 lapper only with Kev Lee (it just took a few rounds to loosen up my rusty joints/blow off the cobwebs and to be fair I think the car and set up take most of the credit for it since the X6 was simply awesome to drive!!!)

Everyone who came up with us from Watford thouroghly enjoyed the day and are keen to come back as soon as possible.

Si2008
21-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, this was my first race since I was 10 years old so 15 Years since I last messed with the sticks.

It was great to be back racing again and what a way to get back into it.
I've never driven on an astro turf track and it was superb. Great little lay out. really challenging and technical. Not just a flat bit of grass with some wooden ramps thrown in.

Thanks to those that offered to help me out with my few minor technical hitches at the beginning of the day. Reminded me why RC is such a great hobby. Well run event and more importantly just good fun all day long.

And wasn't too dis-pleased with my second in the D final considering the car was handling like a pig and it was my first time ever driving it (only finished building it saturday evening!)

I can't wait to come back and race again!

Incidentally, as I only live in Brackley is the track open for practice at all?

Swiss
21-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Yep, gotta agree with the positive comments above. At least the track could be raced on this time, and finishing wasn't in the lap of the gods.

Super job guy's... Graham, His Dad, Lloyd, Richard etc...

A superb step forward, and will be an excellent venue in future.

P

PS Weather was near perfect, after the rain shower in heat 4 round two... And then a big black clowd appearing for Heat 4 round 3 it looked for a minute or two it wasn't going a difficult day for the top 2wd heat.

Al3xis007
21-07-2008, 05:07 PM
[quote=DMS Racing;143686]I was very pleased with the third on the grid I got and particularly pleased to be the only person to get a 15 lapper only with Kev Lee quote]

i got 15 laps in a final leg 1! and 14 on a 300.51 in final 3!!!!!!

everyone i spoke to was impressed with the change in the track with so little time. hopefully that infield will be done and up to scratch for next year!:)

JBL
21-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I would like to agree with all of the comments, I had a really good day's racing. The track was good and was not a car breaker. I had serious issues wth changing over from stick to a steering wheel controller, but it all came together in the final.

The comment of the day for me was "Its not about where you qualified, as long as you win that final".

Well done to all of the crew at Silverstone (Graeme/Geoff etc).

Swiss
21-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Yeh, well done Jason. Glad to see you have now seen sense and joint 'the special ones' that use the steerwheel.

JBL
21-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't say I had sense, but I will get the knack of driving with a steerwheel!!!

Darren Boyle
21-07-2008, 06:01 PM
i got 15 laps in a final leg 1! and 14 on a 300.51 in final 3!!!!

Finals dont count!!! We started half way round the lap......LOL I was refering to qualifying :p :woot:

modelimages
21-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Finals dont count!!! We started half way round the lap......LOL I was refering to qualifying :p :woot:
normally darren you would be correct however in this case the cars started before the loop rather than straddling it so alex's 15 lapper was genuine. nice to see couple of the old school cars mixing it with the 6 x6's in the A (does the b4 class as vintage now?).

well done to the organisers for a relaxing day and to Alex for his win.
john

Darren Boyle
21-07-2008, 07:20 PM
. nice to see couple of the old school cars mixing it with the 6 x6's in the A (does the b4 class as vintage now?).

Comedy!!!!!

Yep well done Alex (even with your 15 lapper). How come it took you so long (all day) to do one, a 15 lapper must of been easy.............even old rusty thumbs here got one!!! :lol:

KevLee
21-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Well done Alex, well deserved win (even though you took your time to get the 15 lapper :p)

Darren, not bad for rusty thumbs :lol:, you should be in full swing for the next one!

The track was much better this time and with the planned tweaks should be a really good facility for next year. Well done to the silverstone team, thanks for a nice day.

JCJC
21-07-2008, 09:50 PM
URL for pictures = http://tinyurl.com/6m6z6g

Snaps from the day, missed the early rain.

Must say enjoyed the meeting, some great work being done here - as you can see..........well done and thanks to the Silverstone crew

What tires were people using, we were on yellows, but thought pinks may have been ?

jim76
21-07-2008, 10:14 PM
some nice shots as usual, and even a few of my car this time :-)

Darren Boyle
21-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Nice shots Mick, I will add a link to them on the DMS Model Car Club forum in the mid south section too.

On the tyre front yellows for me, started the day briefly on greens expecting it to feel damp but it wasnt so straight to yellows. I originally had the inner and outer rows off my front but being an animal I decided to use some without any cut for round 3 onwards and they were fine, loads of steering but no grip roll.

GPS1
22-07-2008, 01:09 PM
For anyone who might of missed these!!
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/upton9/Silverstone2wdRegional

JCJC
22-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Cheers Darren, I had ment to do that, but it was getting late last night, download any you like for your use - if you have a use for em.

Jordan takes most of the pictures, and was on yellows - cannot understand why he was only doing 13 lappers !

Mick