PDA

View Full Version : First adventure on foams

Andy-j.smith6
16-03-2013, 07:13 PM
This week was alwats going to a bit of an exploratory meeting, being the first time I finalky got riund to putting the foams on. Not an expeeience I am hoping to repeat too soon!

Didn't get off to a good start. In case anyone was wondering what the horrendous screeching noise was, yes that was me!

A screw on my too deck came loose so I stripped the spur, can't believe how much noise it made.

Thanks to Wes (I think) for the loan of a replacement, so i could at least race.

Well on to the foams. First go in the second heat and frankly they felt awful, back end all over the place. Long story, every race they got better and i got more used to driving them.

Conclusion after 2 heats and a final (so very early days). Definately quicker, can keep power on much more, but crashed more and found it more difficult to be consistent.

tisher
16-03-2013, 09:45 PM
stick with them buddy you will deffo get quicker :thumbsup: me and Lee will be back soon once I can get all this work done that I am on at the mo:mad:

MattK
16-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Foams will get there, they will get grippier and more consistent for sure.

Jlc57
17-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Forget how good they are for racing, I love the reduced spend!

Lee1972
17-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Me too now that I've got a chassis to replace :mad:

tisher
17-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Me too now that I've got a chassis to replace :mad:

do a search on the for sale lee there was a x6 for 65quid or something like that last week

Lawsy
10-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi just a quick question...
Over the past few meets I've attended, Ive seen you guys using the foams, they look like they handle great, I want some!! Now, here's the million dollar question..... Where the hell do you buy them?? :cry:

tisher
10-04-2013, 09:02 PM
here;) 40 shore is good
http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/category/Product_Category/subcategory/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/templateid/12/searchbox7/1-8_Stock_Car_Donuts.html

Lawsy
10-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for that :thumbsup: so sand ribs off rims and glue on I take it??

Lee1972
11-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Only the inner two ribs.

MattK
11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I got my foams from Kamtec models, and got the following:

http://www.kamtec.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=101&category_id=21&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

These are double width so can be cut to make 4 4wd tyres and fill the rims fully, unlike the singl donunts which leave a small gap. other shore are avaliable but I just went for the softest for my 2wd buggy. Also I did not remove the ribs on the wheels and they seem fine. Also glue with impact adhesive (evo stick) and not super glue but u may already know that.

I also have a spare set of single width 34 shore kamtec donunts sitting in my pit bag which would be happy to sell to anyone who wants them as I will not be using them.

I will be at the club friday so if anyone wants them let me know.

:lol: