PDA

View Full Version : B44 front wheels coming off

neiloliver
18-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I have had front wheels come off three times now, i am using B44 front wheels and fast-track nylock nuts but it is getting a bit annoying. Any tips for keeping the wheels on?

and yes, I am tighetening the nuts before the race...

N

IceMike
18-07-2008, 08:01 PM
i got an idea. dont race and clean the car an put it in a case on the fire place :P

Belsten
18-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Ive seen this happen to a couple of them. Im sure you'll get some better advice but you could always try the hot bodies serrated wheel nuts. Not cheap though at a fiver for 4 :o

peetbee
18-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Aren't they metric though Dave?
Mine's not lost a wheel during a race but I did strip a hex when one came loose. Since replacing the nuts and tightening afer every run it seems to be ok, that's using the standard AE nuts though.
They do seem to need replacing more often than I expected. Sorry I can't help more,

Belsten
18-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I could well be chatting out of my arse then. The HB nuts fitted the 501, not sure if they are imperial or metric, just ignore me, I will go back to bed :blush:

neiloliver
18-07-2008, 08:56 PM
i got an idea. dont race and clean the car an put it in a case on the fire place :P

Are you walking to Coventry on Sunday Mike? :lol:

Maybe my nuts are just getting old :bored: ?

Belsten
18-07-2008, 08:58 PM

Maybe they're rusty Neil :woot:

peetbee
18-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I could well be chatting out of my arse then. The HB nuts fitted the 501, not sure if they are imperial or metric, just ignore me, I will go back to bed :blush:
The 501 was metric wasn't it? Sweet dreams and happy birthday!

How often have they been on and off the car? Mine lasted three meetings, and had been removed about 7 or 8 times. I now try to leave the wheels on between runs unless I really have to remove them, just to try and get a bit more life out of them

cjm_2008
18-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I had the same problem and it was causing many DNFs, particularly on tracks requiring heavy braking.

I changed to the losi nuts, but this didn't solve it.

in the end, I resorted to threadlocking the nut onto the shaft - if done correctly, this 'thickens' up the thread on the outdrive, creating more friction between the nut and the shaft.

this techical solution was bought to you in association with 'carry on doctor' :thumbsup:

peetbee
18-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I've wondered if it's been down to braking, I hardly ever brake so could that be why I've not experienced the problem as much as others.
How about you Neil?

tony6187
18-07-2008, 11:59 PM
did you try tightening the nut onto the axle wit the wheel off?had this happen to me and one of the other racers at the club suggested this.the reasoning behind it is that when you first tighten the nut on with a wheel on,it doesnt thread the nylon of the nut properly as it just pushes it out.if you tighten it without the wheel it allows the thread to come all of the way thru.the guy tried it himself after losing a few wheels and so far hasnt lost any.going to give it atry myself.

IceMike
19-07-2008, 12:42 AM

nah i dont wanna walk mate :p haha but i do think u got old nuts haha they bin about about abit. i got some new ones :p

but there silver

Richard Lowe
19-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Try some of >these< (http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_15_20&products_id=106) bad boys. I replace my wheel nuts about once every 6 months, and thats only because they might be a bit scratched :p

DCM
19-07-2008, 11:14 AM
he problem is the nut on this style front end doesn't go into 'safety' so if your nuts are nice and nipped up and new(ish) the vibration undoes them.

Craig is right, get some automotive threadlock, drop on the thread after you slip the wheel on, then put nut on, nip it up, jobs a good un, I had the same thing on the Tamiya.

Body Paint
19-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Jconcept nuts are the shizzle :thumbsup: Associated nuts are cack:thumbdown: damn chinnese toss offs, though they are apparently changing them

B44&501xRacerEX
19-07-2008, 05:09 PM
That's strange, I've never had an issue of my wheels coming off
except on the rear, the rear wheel would come loose causing the
rear rim to begin to strip out the pin holes. Is this the same thing
this guy is having? Because I had that problem once before also.
I just switched the wheel nuts out for new ones.
And when you use new nuts you might as well, replace the wheel pins also.
Replacing the wheel pins solved my problem.

Gaz_Stanton
19-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Replacing the wheel pins solved my problem.
Genius! :lol:

cjm_2008
19-07-2008, 09:09 PM
whenever i read a post from b mag
i'm finding myself wondering just
how big his window must be sized,
as he keeps using the enter key on
each line
or something :thumbsup:

sparrow.2
19-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Hidden in there was actually some sound advice apart from the wheel pin thing :thumbsup:

elvo
19-07-2008, 11:28 PM
whenever i read a post from b mag
i'm finding myself wondering just
how big his window must be sized,
as he keeps using the enter key on
each line
or something :thumbsup:

It's called premature enterkeyation :-)

ashleyb4
20-07-2008, 05:25 AM
ive got some super glue neil we could glue them on the shed:thumbsup::thumbsup: