PDA

View Full Version : Will my diff wear in?

danny the elfman
25-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Hey. Sure this question has been asked a million times before but I havent had to rebuild too many diffs in my time and just given my DEX210 diff a rebuild. Did the usual, lightly sand the plates, black grease in the thrust bearing, diff grease in the right places ect. Set it with two driver in the out-drives and tightened until it didn't slip, pretty loose as well which is a bonus. Now set just fine. Problem is it now feels more scratchy than it did before. Only thing I could think i did wrong the sanding but I used the finest paper I could find. Will this smoothen out after a bit of use or does it need another rebuild? Thanks

Danny

cutting42
25-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Danny

I had this with my sons Schumacher SX2 diffs. I found that if I nipped it up too tight initially it was crunchy and did not smooth out.

I heard that breaking in the diffs first was a good idea but most methods seemed a bit of a faff, running the car on the bench or using a dedicated diff break in machine.

What I did to fix then was to resand the plates - incidently they need to grip the balls so not too polished, I used 800 grit paper - rebuilt the diffs with fresh grease and barely tightened and then ran the diff in an electric drill by gripping the outdrive in the chuck (gently) and holding the gear in my hand. I then ran the drill slowly in both directions, tightened the diff a bit more and then repeated 3 or 4 times until the diff was tight enough and smooth as butter. I have not had to rebuild the diffs for 3 months now and have done the same with my B44.1 diffs as well now and have not needed to change them in the same period.

cryer-evo
25-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Could be that the diff balls have bin damaged