PDA

View Full Version : Adapting AstroTurf setups to suit grass tracks

Chris Elworthy
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi Lads,

I run the Schumacher SV2 buggy but this is really a general question that should apply to all brands of chassis. As we nearly all run on AstroTurf tracks in the uk these days what would be worth altering from my astro setup to better suit grass tracks? Does grass offer more bite/grip than astro? Will softer oil/springs be better suited? Should I use more camber/caster etc?

It's years since I raced on a grass surface so have no real idea what to start tuning trackside as round 1 of my local regional series is scheduled for a grass track.

Any help would be much appriciated.

Chris

stall4king
04-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Aup....

The first time I ran my 210 was at Eden Park on their multisurface track (mainly astro) and the 2nd time I ran it was on grass and I didn't change anything apart from tyres and got very good results at both meetings!

In short I always think its a good idea to try your car before 'guessing' on a setup as you may be going backwards! Also, everyone else will be in the same boat so just have a practise and go from there and make your own decisions based on what you feel the car is/isn't doing.

As for comparisons in grip levels etc, unless it rains then AstroTurf is very consistent whereas grass obviously wears out thoughout the day so that's something to take into consideration. On grass I tend to start with a ballistic buggy spike when the grass is still moist and normally end up on Schumacher yellows if it doesn't happen to rain.

Sorry if I'm not very specific, hope the day goes well!

Chris Elworthy
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I intend to start with my astro setup that I have worked on for a while to begin with then start to tweak from there. I've got myself some green BB spikes for the wet and some BB white spikes if its dry? I was thinking the longer spike of the BB tyres would be better suited to grass than Schueys? What tyres did you run on the front of your 210 on grass?

Chris

stall4king
04-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I intend to start with my astro setup that I have worked on for a while to begin with then start to tweak from there. I've got myself some green BB spikes for the wet and some BB white spikes if its dry? I was thinking the longer spike of the BB tyres would be better suited to grass than Schueys? What tyres did you run on the front of your 210 on grass?

Chris

When I started racing many moons ago I used to like running the ballistic buggy blue compound in the wet, which seems to be similar to the white compound, as opposed to the softer greens. I thought they gave more grip as the spikes dug in better or they didn't collapse as easy as the greens. Now a days most people seem to prefer the greens in the wet though I think I'd personally stick with a firmer tyre like the whites/blues or even Schumacher greens!

I think the schumacher yellow compound is best once a faint racing line appears, or certainly when the grass gets cut up and starts to disappear but the tyres you have should still be fine. Try and find out what the fastest drivers are using on the day and see what you think.

As for the fronts, it sounds weird but the last time I ran on grass I ran yellow staggered ribs and certainly didn't need any more front grip although some drivers found the opposite and opted for Schuey minis pikes in either the yellow or silver compound (the grass was very worn, to the point of dust in some areas).

Hope this sheds even a little light! Good luck!