PDA

View Full Version : Brushless conversion or nitro 1/8 buggy?

Edd
24-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi guys,

I've had a brushless d4 for a long time and im going to be moving on to nitro but ive seen brushless conversions of cars such as the rc8 and they seem good, almost better than the nitro original. Ive never had a nitro car before so i would be new to it. So do you think that brushless conversion with lipo would be good, if so what good cars would be good for it (1/8 buggy). Or should i go nitro?

Cars that i have driven (friends) are the rc8 and the rex-x and they seem good but is it worth the trouble of tuning and working on a nitro engine when i could go brushless lipo? Help would be appreciated.

Edd

sparrow.2
24-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi guys,

I hav'nt had a nitro before but i have seen the brushless conversions of cars such as the rc8 or the hobao inferno and both have their advantages but im not sure. any suggestions?

Edd

The RC8 will be better for jumping off the roof with and the other is better for chasing 11 year olds...

What exactly are you asking???

Edd
24-07-2008, 03:12 PM
sorry sparrow that was abrupt ive changed the post my brother wanted to use the computer i did'nt know i had the time to write it out.

gramey
24-07-2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.oople.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gifIt depends what you want and as usual how much you want to spend. Being a bit sad I love the sound and smell of a nitro but they are a bit messy and at times can be infuriating to get tuned just how you want them.
Brushless by and larger is easy to set up motor wise as it's mainly done through the gearing but they are a bit sanitised.
Nitro -great sound and smell, constantly buying fuel and lugging a starter box round and messy at times.
Brushless - cleaner and easier to set up but expensive if you go high end, quieter so can be bashed about with without infuriating the neighbours.
If you go brushless you may be better off looking for a good used RC8, Losi 8B, Mugen MBX, depending on what you want to spend on the electrics it would save you a few pounds. There are several conversions available if you go on RCTech and look at the 1/8th scale brushless conversion kits thread it's up to almost 300 pages and full of information. Takes a while to read but I think most things are covered or RC Monsters forum has a few threads on it about brushless 1/8th's.
I've got a Losi 8T nitro and I'm just in the process of getting all the parts together to build an 8T brushless. You won't go far wrong with most of the better manufacturers I went with Losi as they're easy to get parts for and pretty damn tough.:D

gramey
24-07-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.oople.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gifOne thing I forgot to add and it depends on your driving style, the brushless esc's mostly have reverse (which you can disable if you want) so if your not on your roof but hit something you won't have to wait for a marshall to get to you.:thumbsup:

Edd
25-07-2008, 03:36 AM
thanks for the reply gramey. Yeah I understand how you mean by the smell and the feel of nitro, personal preference. So I think I'l buy the nitro kit see how i like it then try the brushless conversion to compare maybe.

Thanks,
Edd