PDA

View Full Version : short cuts and reverse

CARB
10-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi there
While watching the racing on Sunday it seemed to me that there is a lot short cuts being taken by drivers that leave the track as defined by the pipes wait for a few seconds and then rejoin the track but not in the place that they left it at.

In my book this is not correct, as if you make a mistake and leave the track you should rejoin it at the point where you left it, by waiting and rejoining closer to the finish line you have gained an advantage despite a few seconds wait.

The use of reverse is that not allowed as several drivers seem not to know this, I know this was a club meeting but surly should this be allowed, if it is then where does it stop.

regards

Neale

DrPaul
11-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi Neale,

You are correct taking short cuts is not right but at the same time in off road sometimes you get knocked off or even pushed over track markers and its not always easy to rejoin where you are knocked off but yes you should wait and rejoin in order. Reverse is allowed at club meeting, once again you could be knocked off where there is no marshal nearby and reverse could be your saying grace, but you must not reverse into the path of any on coming cars.

Club meetings are about having fun but at the same time being respectful of other racers. WORM is expanding fast and we have a lot of either new and inexperienced racers coming to the club lets help them enjoy the racing so they want to come back rather than you cant do this and you cant do that and then enforcing penalties etc and putting them off. By the nature of off-road, driver, cars and track conditions make things unpredictable, let not get to serious.

Club racing is all about the fun of the day, race with respect, marshall as you want others to marshall you and have a fun days racing.
:thumbsup:

newberyclan
11-04-2013, 05:23 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: yeah keep it fun and thanks for a very good and well run meeting we will be back .

blue_pinky
11-04-2013, 05:35 PM
So...

Reverse is not banned at WORM. However, general RC etiquette expects you not to reverse, and would expect that if you do, you do it with a lot of care! What is banned is going the wrong way around the track at any time...so reversing back up a track would fit into that category.

As 99% of people don't run with reverse enabled (I certainly wouldn't want the surprise of the motor wanting to try going backwards suddenly whilst braking!!!) This tends only to be something that only occurs in the lower heats, where things tend to be a little more...urrr...random anyway!

Until last year I thought it was a general BRCA ruling...but discovered that it's not, and reverse isn't even banned at the offroad nationals funnily enough...from the mouth of Paul Worsely himself that one! :woot:

Track cutting is against the rules. In fact the art of deciding when to return yourself to action is something that many could use some practice at!

If you crash out, and end up on a different part of the track, it is often safer to wait until you are back in position to rejoin. BUT...what most forget, is that you've just had "crash", and you should actually rejoin even later than that to account for the fact you crashed. Rejoining exactly where you went off would essentially be giving you an advantage...so strictly speaking..and as per the refereeing at nationals, unless you wait to account for the fact you crashed as well, then your cheating...and could be given a penalty as result!

It's a very tough ruling to enforce...and even harder to make yourself commit to when your the one who's crashed and is rejoining mid battle...and even harder to take for the guy near you on track who sees you do it! Suffice to say...he will remember...and he might not be very 'helpful' with you in future encounters...so remember...the karma tends to get you on that if you repeatedly offend. We all work out and know who the more 'tactical' and 'exuberant' drivers are...and the racing tends to sort these issues out...cheats never prosper and all that :D

So....what I would suggest we'll do is to include some general ettiquette and race rule instructions for those new to the sport and and reminders for those not so new ones at the next drivers briefing.

A reminder and lesson in the round by round, and staggered start rules would also probably help some people too!

danharding
11-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Yes Andy the Karma. :)

blue_pinky
12-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Hahaha....exactly...and there's the proof!!! I'll get mine...I know that ;):thumbsup::woot:

Sorry again Dan :blush: