PDA

View Full Version : K1 or B44.2 or XB4

AdrianJones
13-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Moving from 2WD Short Course to 4WD buggy and have so much choice when it comes to 4WD buggy's.

So what are people's thoughs over these 3 cars? OR is their another car which I should consider?

K1 or B44.2 or XB4???????

My (now local) hobby shop 'Steve Webbs' in Frodsham recommends the K1 but he is a Schumacher team driver so maybe a little biased.

But my thoughts are leaning towards the K1 as spares would be easy to get from the my local shop and also advice would be readily available.

What does everyone think is my best option?

AfroP
13-04-2013, 11:02 PM
the K1 seems to be a fantastic car and is really quick.
I have built an sx3 and if the build quality of the K1 is anything like that it would be an absolute pleasure to build.

I have an XB4 and can honestly say its even better than the SX3 in terms of build. and the car itself is superb. it has everything in the box that you need and the upgrade kit that comes with the car makes it fairly bullet proof. The carbon on the shock towers isnt as thick as that on the K1 but when racing a few weeks back both myself and a K1 driver had an crash in the same part of the track, he smashed the front top diff housing and my xb4 appeared to be fine. after several more crashes in the same spot i thought my car was bomb proof, after getting home i realised the front shock tower was cracked, but thanks to the alloy plate that comes free with the kit my tower held together, and is still going strong despite several more crashes. the xb4 also has everything you need out the box.

The biggest thing though is price of parts. the XB4 is fairly pricey for parts and can be a bit more "twitchy" in terms of setup. if you over tighten the slipper you can strip the diff gears as its a geared diff with composite gears.

Both are very good cars though and as much as I'd like to say get the XB4, if nobody else is running one at your local, then go with the K1.
the help and advise from others is invaluable

AdrianJones
14-04-2013, 06:37 AM
the K1 seems to be a fantastic car and is really quick.
I have built an sx3 and if the build quality of the K1 is anything like that it would be an absolute pleasure to build.

I have an XB4 and can honestly say its even better than the SX3 in terms of build. and the car itself is superb. it has everything in the box that you need and the upgrade kit that comes with the car makes it fairly bullet proof. The carbon on the shock towers isnt as thick as that on the K1 but when racing a few weeks back both myself and a K1 driver had an crash in the same part of the track, he smashed the front top diff housing and my xb4 appeared to be fine. after several more crashes in the same spot i thought my car was bomb proof, after getting home i realised the front shock tower was cracked, but thanks to the alloy plate that comes free with the kit my tower held together, and is still going strong despite several more crashes. the xb4 also has everything you need out the box.

The biggest thing though is price of parts. the XB4 is fairly pricey for parts and can be a bit more "twitchy" in terms of setup. if you over tighten the slipper you can strip the diff gears as its a geared diff with composite gears.

Both are very good cars though and as much as I'd like to say get the XB4, if nobody else is running one at your local, then go with the K1.
the help and advise from others is invaluable

I think these days most cars are very competitive on the track, I think like you said it comes down to what others are running locally for help and advice. The XB4 does look like a good option, I used to have a Xray T1 touring car which I loved but when Schumacher released the MI2 and then 3 the old Xray just could not compete.

AfroP
14-04-2013, 09:36 AM
The k1 would benfit from some upgradesout the box to improve it.
Bando belts. Alloy gear box uppers front and rear. Alloy yokes and pivot blocks.
All of which will be old sx parts so will add purple to the car which puts some people off

AdrianJones
14-04-2013, 10:20 AM
The k1 would benfit from some upgradesout the box to improve it.
Bando belts. Alloy gear box uppers front and rear. Alloy yokes and pivot blocks.
All of which will be old sx parts so will add purple to the car which puts some people off

I personally love the Schumacher purple bling, but will these added upgrades actually improve the cars handling in any way noticeable to a intermediate (at best) level driver?

AfroP
14-04-2013, 11:46 AM
The alloy gearbox uppers will strengthen the car quite a bit.
The yokes and pivot blocks also add strength and performance options. Not sure how much difference you'll notice

neallewis
14-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Meanwhile the xray is super strong and doesn't need any upgrades to make it work. There was an issue with the front gearbox/bulkhead and they released a free upgrade package, which now comes with the kits to fix the issues. I'm still running my original gears, even though they issued revised parts. Issues were mostly US based, running on clay or carpet, with the slipper far too tight.

On the slippy indoor tracks, the new Ralls Racing rear shock tower helps, along with some under-Lipo weight. Other than that, its bulletproof out the box. The car is supergood on the astro outdoors.

Some spares are a little pricier over other brands, but you simply don't break parts like you do with the Schumacher or B44 from wishbones or shock shafts, so its not an issue.

'caster master
14-04-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't race 1:10th 4WD but personally I would go with a DEX410, if not then out of the three you suggested probably the Associated, just because they have been on the 10th scene longer than Xray, and the Schumacher is belt drive which puts me off.

TARTMAN
14-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I had the K1, great car easy for spares etc. But was not as nice to drive everywhere like the sx3 i also had was.

Not a fan of the B44..

I now have an xb4, love it. you can remove the fronbt drive shafts and run it in 2wd so its a multi class car if needed as well.

the spares are slightly more than schumacher yes, but you can buy wishbones as individual sides etc so you dont end up with loads of one side etc. The XB4 works from the box as mentioned and no upgrades needed. except for the propshaft cover. thats a weak point but only £8 for a pair to replace the plastic ones.

I would say go XB4. quality and no upgraded parts needed to make it run great. a few setup changes and your good to go.

AdrianJones
14-04-2013, 01:04 PM
So from what most people are saying then is that the K1 is a superb car however the Xray XB4 is better again!?

My only issue with this is parts availability in the UK. Where do people suggest I can purchase one with spares? Ideally some where that can take Paypal as I have money sat in their waiting to be spent.

neallewis
14-04-2013, 04:04 PM
So from what most people are saying then is that the K1 is a superb car however the Xray XB4 is better again!?

My only issue with this is parts availability in the UK. Where do people suggest I can purchase one with spares? Ideally some where that can take Paypal as I have money sat in their waiting to be spent.

Speak to Ross and Bally at MB Models, everything you could need in stock, and they take PayPal payments too.
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk

hotrodchris
14-04-2013, 06:57 PM
XB4 all day long, very simple but effective design and works straight from the box, very predictable car to drive, plus everything included with the car so no extras to buy!

lee150978
14-04-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't race 1:10th 4WD but personally I would go with a DEX410, if not then out of the three you suggested probably the Associated, just because they have been on the 10th scene longer than Xray, and the Schumacher is belt drive which puts me off.

Are they not all belt drive???????

levontraut
14-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Are they not all belt drive???????

ae is not belt driven at all m8

shaun m
14-04-2013, 09:00 PM
ae is not belt driven at all m8
the only belt driven buggys there is the shuey ..

mikeyscott
14-04-2013, 09:05 PM
the only belt driven buggys there is the shuey ..

Tamiya TRF511 too.

tomtom
14-04-2013, 09:14 PM
I went for the K1 and so far really happy with it, very easy to drive (not far from the 511).
After a few months of use, I found it very reliable compare to the SX3, lots of details have been reworked nicely.

I'm especially floored by the way the car handles corners, very flat with almost no roll. Could be due to the optional front driveshafts but the overall package is very nice.

XB4 is very well conceived and quite easy to drive compare to a B44 for example.

So K1 for me.

shaun m
14-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Tamiya TRF511 too.

yeah , i meant the ones mentioned above :thumbsup:

AdrianJones
15-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I went for the K1 and so far really happy with it, very easy to drive (not far from the 511).
After a few months of use, I found it very reliable compare to the SX3, lots of details have been reworked nicely.

I'm especially floored by the way the car handles corners, very flat with almost no roll. Could be due to the optional front driveshafts but the overall package is very nice.

XB4 is very well conceived and quite easy to drive compare to a B44 for example.

So K1 for me.

I think based on what everyone has said the XB4 would be the best option however the K1 is still a comparable car plus however it is supported with spares available from my local hobby shop.

Thanks for all the responses as I have been really torn between the K1 and XB4 changing my mind from one second to the next.

Cheers guys!

tomtom
15-04-2013, 07:25 PM
You won't be disappointed by either, both are great cars, quite easy to drive and reliable from what I've seen on tracks.

Just a matter of design and aesthetic choices.

mark christopher
15-04-2013, 08:02 PM
gone from durango/b44 to k1 and my results have got better, not tried the xray but the help from the schumacher team is brilliant

racingdwarf
15-04-2013, 09:55 PM
XB4 looks a good car from what I've seen, but what about Kyosho? very pleased with mine, and I thought parts were costly...until I saw the price of xray parts:woot:

K1 probably a good car, but I don't like Schumacher:D

shaun m
16-04-2013, 06:16 AM
I personaly had all the schumachers sx sx2 sx3 and loved em and then had the k1 when it first came out and hated it :eh?:.

bought a cheap 2nd hand durango just for a spare car and done an extra lap , on the first race that i entered , so i then decided to sell the k1 ( 2weeks after they came out ) and bought a 2010 spec durango 410 and loved it :wub ..

and have recently just sold it , and have gone the xray route ( thats what 75% of the cars are at the track ) and am slowly improving even more ..

The xrays a cracking car , is tough as old boots , and goes where you want it too :wub:wub :blush: and everything that is needed is in the box :)

Steven Forster
16-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Im thinking along the same lines with these 3 buggies..........before i jump ship from my SX3 am gonna spend a bit time with it and give it a chance as im not really getting a feel for it.

Ive also got a B44 with a load of spares which will be cheaper if i move to the newer B44.2 as i still really like it and takes very little to setup.

Most people at our club now have the K1 which does look good and seems to go well, round our indoor track which will help more with spares, setups and tips.

As for the XB4, i drove my mates car on sunday and got used to it straight away and could push it hard if i had more time with it and i know how strong it is as ive seen it in a few hard crashes and still survive.

Hmmm choices, choices :woot:

chris68nufc
16-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Dex, go with the majority....easier for spares, setups etc....the K1 outdoors was easily the best 4wd I have owned(had a few) and that was its 1st time out!

Get the K1....I'm sure the Green is selling his...grab a bargain!!!

cmgreen
16-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Im thinking along the same lines with these 3 buggies..........before i jump ship from my SX3 am gonna spend a bit time with it and give it a chance as im not really getting a feel for it.

Ive also got a B44 with a load of spares which will be cheaper if i move to the newer B44.2 as i still really like it and takes very little to setup.

Most people at our club now have the K1 which does look good and seems to go well, round our indoor track which will help more with spares, setups and tips.

As for the XB4, i drove my mates car on sunday and got used to it straight away and could push it hard if i had more time with it and i know how strong it is as ive seen it in a few hard crashes and still survive.

Hmmm choices, choices :woot:

Whats wrong with the sx3? Anything we can help on setup?

Steven Forster
17-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Dex, go with the majority....easier for spares, setups etc....the K1 outdoors was easily the best 4wd I have owned(had a few) and that was its 1st time out!

Get the K1....I'm sure the Green is selling his...grab a bargain!!!

Will have to see, Afrop's XB4 was great on sunday, bit too much understeer but nothing to bad.......will have to have a go at corky's B44.2 as he also runs wheel TX.

Dunno who runs a K1 with wheel TX ?

Whats wrong with the sx3? Anything we can help on setup?

Not too sure chris, might be the FAB.......also noticed 1 of the new front tires was completely bald after 4-5 rounds where as the other still looks pretty new :confused: