PDA

View Full Version : Starting out with 2WD on astro

willbowles
19-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi all,

I'm hopefully joining my local club soon, starting out in the 1/10 2WD buggy class. The track surface is astro and I have read that certain buggy kits are suited to different surfaces. I was leaning towards a B4.2 but then read they are more suitable to clay surfaces.

Please could anyone give me a bit of advice on this and suitable models.

Thanks,

Will

cutting42
19-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Quite a lot on this topic if you search for 2wd threads however to get you started:

Mid motor is the way to go for high grip (astro) circuits. Rear motor is the traditional route for clay/dirt circuits which are very rare in the UK.

B4 (.1 and .2) are rear motor as std but several conversion kits exist to convert them to mid motor. Vega, Centro and XFactory X6 to name three. They are all excellent but the final build cost will be pretty high as you are buying a full kit and then another £150 or so for the conversion kit.

The Durango 210, Kyosho RB6, Losi 22 and Schumacher SV2 are all mid motor or can be configured as either mid or rear motor. There are others but these are the most common and each have their advocates.

I would go along to the club first, introduce yourself, see what cars are being used, what the local shop stocks by the way of spares as you will get through a fair bit when you start. Oh and do not be tempted to get a huge motor when you start; get a 13.5 or 10.5 at most.

Dandare
19-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Good advice there.

Check out this cracking deal on the Durango DEX210 RTR, perfect for starters, 13.5 sensored electrics, 2.4Ghz etc etc. Also easily converted to mid motor though to be fair it'll go perfectly well on Astro.

Here: http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/rtr-models/team-durango-dex210-race-ready-rtr-red.html

Cream
19-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Good advice there.

Check out this cracking deal on the Durango DEX210 RTR, perfect for starters, 13.5 sensored electrics, 2.4Ghz etc etc. Also easily converted to mid motor though to be fair it'll go perfectly well on Astro.

Here: http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/rtr-models/team-durango-dex210-race-ready-rtr-red.html

Now also at JEmodels and you get free sweets :)

http://www.jemodels.com/electric-models?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=13622&category_id=1322

willbowles
21-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'll go along and see what everyone is running before I buy anything.

A mid-motor chassis sounds like the way to go. I haven't seen a Durango before, are they quite popular?

Cheers,

Will

rapidrubberwill
21-04-2013, 10:37 AM
The durango is very popular and it looks solid je spares have them for next to nothing at the moment as a rtr buggy and parts are cheap when you crash it

neallewis
21-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Will, without question the best option for astro will be a mid motor, and right now the best performing car out of the box is the Yokomo BMAX2 MR. Really solidly built and fantastic performer, cheap parts too.

http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/race-models/race-off-road-electric/yokomo/yokomo-b-max-2-mr-pre-order-deposit.html

No messing about, you build it as per the kit, and it works. I just changed the front springs for a harder set for my preference.

willbowles
22-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks, I'll check the Yokomo out.

Is there any differences to the parts on the chassis from the RTR DEX210 and the kit version?

willbowles
23-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Does anybody know much about Team C buggies? I have been offered one by a member of the club I'm hoping to join.

Also, does anyone if there are any differences between the RTR DEX210 and the kit version chassis wise?

Cheers

Juttie
23-04-2013, 09:52 AM
The team c is a very capable buggy that can mix it with best cars out there they have had some good results. I have a team c that I brought to race but have no time race it but the little use I have had with it seemed really good.

smokes
23-04-2013, 07:22 PM
As long as you build the differential and shocks up correctly and use the right tyres any of the choices above should be good for astro. I use a Yokomo Bmax 2 MR and I am very happy with it and it not to expensive to buy and run.

willbowles
24-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a look at each as there doesn't seem to be any one better than the other. I guess the final decision will come down to price and how I like the looks!

Cheers,

Will

mattr
24-04-2013, 08:55 AM
I guess the final decision will come down to price and how I like the looks!

Cheers

WillAs someone mentioned up there ^^^^^^ see what is most popular at the club as well. Its handy for scrounging spares and sorting your set up. (especially important when starting out)

I started with a B4.1, almost no-one at our club uses them (one other guy at the time) caused many an early trip home as i had no spares!

OneKiwi
24-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Theres a nice TLR22 package in the FS section that should suit you great :thumbsup:

Lee1972
06-05-2013, 10:19 PM
If you haven't yet bought a car there's an XFactory X6 Squared on Ebay for I think £ 80.00, it looks a decent car with plenty of hop ups and uses a lot of Associated B4/4.1/4.2 parts, I personally run one and don't have any issues with it.

Robby
07-05-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi all,

I'm hopefully joining my local club soon, starting out in the 1/10 2WD buggy class. The track surface is astro and I have read that certain buggy kits are suited to different surfaces. I was leaning towards a B4.2 but then read they are more suitable to clay surfaces.

Please could anyone give me a bit of advice on this and suitable models.

Thanks

Will

Not to blow you off, but anyone that suggests that anything is the "best option" is just brand-hoing and quite full of it.
Realistically, especially starting out, literally any of the major/name-brand cars will do just fine and it really wouldn't make much difference what you start out with anyway - they're all good cars. Your primary concern should be replacement parts availability, which (again) shouldn't be that much of a concern with any of the name-brands. At the same time, check what's popular with the fast chaps at your local club/track, as it's easier to get assistance and learn tips and tricks from them.

Stormmy
13-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Don't waste your money on Durango. I will be out of action for at least two weeks due to part supply problem. Very unsatisfactory :thumbdown: