PDA

View Full Version : The Quest for the Extra Lap

MrSlow
20-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Another excellent night.
Was it just me or did there seem to be a lot less grip this week?

I was promoted into the heat with the other grown-ups and it made a huge difference. Rather than getting caught up in all sorts of carnage caused by other drivers, the only carnage now was caused by myself :)

With the inspiration of the drivers around me I managed to get the elusive 10 laps in the first heat. I could have gone home happy at that point :thumbsup:

How did the rest of you find it?

rallymaddaz
20-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I really enjoyed it too - first trip out on foams which seemed to bed on during the night, I think they highlight the cat's weakness though as the car was very twitchy and not as well balanced as on pins. I will make some adjustments for next week and hopefully get that 15 lapper.

MrSlow
20-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Ah, so we have a bid of 15 laps for next week from the rallymad-catter, any more bids for next weeks target?

And I'm also interested in what strategies people are going to use to grab that extra lap.

I'm going to aim for 11 laps. My main tactic is to spend more time on my wheels and less on the roof :rolleyes:
I'm also considering going down a pinion for a bit more acceleration.

MattK
20-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I too am aiming for 15 laps and even maybe 16 as I have done a 15 already. I am going to have to up my game to keep a head if that Damn xray!! (very quick car and Steve is a good driver).
I have got a new screw for the servo as it is coming loose again which made the car unpredictable in the corners.
I think the less grip u have maybe down to more people running foams and additive.
I must say it was a heart in mouth moment before the start of the final, but after an adult conversation all ok and no damage to either car.
I was thinking about the qualifying heats and until this week I have been probably in the wrong one, but I never expected to be pushing the top of the b or bottom of a after 5 weeks, so it's just the way it is :)
I think we were all pushing each other this week which is great.
I am loving racing again and proving how good the yokomo bmax2mr is, maybe more will be turning up soon?
Booo to the dirty H2's!! Hahahaha

MrSlow
25-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Hi guys

I'll not be there tomorrow night. How inconsiderate for my friend to have a birthday on a Friday!

Hope you have fun, I'm sure you will.

Let me know how you all go on.

Good luck!!

MattK
26-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Boooooooooo
Beers or racing, always a difficult choice.
:thumbsup:
You see, I like beer and I like racing,
but which do I like best?
Only one way to find out!!!!!

rallymaddaz
28-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Well I couldn't make it either but will be back this week 15laps here we come!!!

MattK
28-04-2013, 09:33 AM
I failed the quest this week by a mile!!!! I will write this week off to experience. I spent sat night examining the whole car to try and understand some of the issues I had on Friday with the handling. I just can't get the rear fully under control for the whole race, maybe it's me.
Anyway I have tweaked a few bits.
Saying that I still had a great night, another new face at the club who was there with his lad for the first time. His lad did really well and looked to enjoy himself. His dad used to rave and considering a return himself so another one to join the exracers crew.
Callum and lee both showed me how to race this week but revenge will be mine!
Hahaha

MattK
28-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Also a few people were asking about the yokomo, it amazing and I did notice one has come up for sale on oople!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MrSlow
28-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Matt, how strange that the handling went awry. The white bullet has been handling amazingly. Anyone else having similar issues?

Which bits have you tweaked?

Always good to see more new faces and members of the exracers :thumbsup:

Ha ha. I noticed the Yokomo for sale too. Determined to get more Bmax drivers aren't you? :)
I may be tempted if/when i get a new car.

At the moment I still have to work out the H2.
I moved the shocks to get more turn in, but now I seem to have major understeer when I hit the power coming out of a corner. Any tips?

MattK
28-04-2013, 12:58 PM
For some reason the backend has become loose again. I think it's part down to how my foams have worn, the shock oils in the front and rear and the springs being too soft. I think it was also just a bad week as I had the sensor wire fail too.
I dream of under steer :)
I maybe wrong but understeer on exit can be countered with a bit of weight at the front.
But I am not sure.
The handling problems may just be me :)

Andy-j.smith6
28-04-2013, 02:28 PM
It was another good night. 4th race on foams and its going pretty well. One thing I have found is that it definately seems hard to be consistent. Not sure whether its the amount of additive you get on the tyres or the amount f additive on the y'track. Suspect its a combination of the two that makes the car feel
Quite different heat to heat

Still 4th in the A this week, 3rd last week, can't complain too much. Although the gulf between me and Mark R is still large. At least I only got lapped once this week!

Good to see more new faces, hope you had a good time and you felt welcome.

Matt, lack of rear grip, moooooorrrre additive, is clearly the answer!

Anyway, not sure if we will be there next week, might be. See you all soon:-)

tisher
28-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I will have to run the rango at some point Andy to give you some competition:woot::lol:I need to have a go at getting a 18 in before they change the track design again ! I did it with the mardave on friday but that does not count:lol:

Lee1972
28-04-2013, 04:40 PM
I failed the quest this week by a mile!!!! I will write this week off to experience. I spent sat night examining the whole car to try and understand some of the issues I had on Friday with the handling. I just can't get the rear fully under control for the whole race, maybe it's me.
Anyway I have tweaked a few bits.
Saying that I still had a great night, another new face at the club who was there with his lad for the first time. His lad did really well and looked to enjoy himself. His dad used to rave and considering a return himself so another one to join the exracers crew.
Callum and lee both showed me how to race this week but revenge will be mine!
Hahaha

:thumbsup: bring it on!

Andy-j.smith6
28-04-2013, 06:47 PM
I will have to run the rango at some point Andy to give you some competition:woot:lol:

You mardave drivers, thinking you can mix it with the big boys:-), Cue the abuse!

MattK
29-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Mardave track looks shorter to me :woot:

Of course real men race 2wd buggies of japanese origin.

I have been painting the fence and waxing the car as training

rallymaddaz
29-04-2013, 06:02 PM
This weeks new obstacle - bonsai tree:o

MrSlow
29-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Can we have a rock garden and a water feature too? :lol:

MattK
30-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Rock garden is usually the pile of associated parts at the bottom of the main straight courtesy of lee and callum :thumbsup: (sorry guys).

Just looked at championship and me and lee are soooo close in the 2wd, all to play for!

Game on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:p

Lee1972
30-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Rock garden is usually the pile of associated parts at the bottom of the main straight courtesy of lee and callum :thumbsup: (sorry guys).

Just looked at championship and me and lee are soooo close in the 2wd, all to play for!

Game on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:p

Don't worry I'll not be there by the end of the championship :thumbsup:

MattK
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Ok so I am aiming for the15 laps this week in qualifying! I have tweaked the suspension, and adjusted the camber and hopefully my speed secret parts will arrive.
Anyone putting a marker in for Friday?

rallymaddaz
01-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Oh that's two of us been messing with set up then 15laps and an A final place (maybe) or Z final (most likely)

MrSlow
01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm going for..............drum roll............... 11 laps!!! :thumbsup:

Having said that my car is currently in bits due to me crashing into a wall, following an unfortunate braking incident.

I got myself a new esc and was trying out the drag brake. It reminds me of that Mercedes test driver who was trying the new anti-collision system. Unfortunately he had assumed someone else had turned it on...............

MrSlow
01-05-2013, 07:57 PM
You two should definitely be in the A final.

MattK
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Whoops!!!

MrSlow
01-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Yeah I know.................:cry:

Do you run drag brake? And if so how much?

MattK
01-05-2013, 09:06 PM
I generally run no drag brake but have the setting on the Speedo so the motor acts like a brushed motor.
Although I was adjusting this on Friday as I thought it may have been causing some of the handling issues. Turned out I was running drag brake on setting 2 of 6 and brushed motor effect.
Ran neither in the final and car was ok but got to brake instead of just lifting.
Not sure which way to go. Probably just try brushed motor effect this week.

rallymaddaz
01-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't use drag brake found it unsettled the car as well as overheating issues if your not careful

Andy-j.smith6
01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Part of me wants to try and contribute to this conversation, but most (all) of me doesn't know what you are talking about.

All I can say is things are going alright and I have no idea what a drag brake setting is, so I'm not sure how important it is.

MrSlow
02-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Ha ha.
I only just found out it existed too. :)

It's a setting on your esc that means it brakes for you when you release the throttle. I think.

Not sure if I'm going to like it.......

Lee1972
02-05-2013, 07:03 PM
My understanding of drag brake is that it mimics the effect of the old brushed motors that when you let go of the throttle the commutator would rub on the brushes in the head causing drag and slowing the spinning of the rotor whereas the brushless motors don't have this friction therefore in theory they coast better a bit like using engine braking and pushing the clutch right in on a normal car. That's my understanding of it anyway.

MattK
06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Is it me or did Friday seem really rushed? I felt I had no time to relax all evening.

After my disaster of a final (alot self induced) I have changed about 80% of the suspension geometry on the car incase I have been going the wrong direction. I am just trying to create a car I can push on :eh?:

Not at racing Friday so will be two weeks to see if I have gone completing wrong direction.

:lol:

Lee1972
07-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Had a nightmare Friday LRP speedo decided to stop working in the final, doubt I'll be racing this Friday :mad:

rallymaddaz
07-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Did Je not honor it's replacement?

Lee1972
07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes but they send them off for repair or replacement which will take about ten days :thumbdown:

rallymaddaz
07-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Cool - I think Steven still has a spare speed passion if its not back in time I can see if he will lend it out?

Lawsy
07-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Lee, I have a spare SP speedo and 7.5 motor I can
take out of my cougar if you are stuck? Ill hopefully
have managed to mount the foams onto my cat rims by Friday.
:bored:

Lee1972
07-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Cheers chaps if one of you could bring a spare that would be great, dug out my old Speed Passion and fitted a new capacitor so hopefully it will be ok.

tisher
08-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Had a nightmare Friday LRP speedo decided to stop working in the final, doubt I'll be racing this Friday :mad:

your not having much fun with these lrp escs Lee :thumbdown:

I have got a spare lrp shere esc if you get stuck we will be there friday now I have got through all this work i was doing:yawn:

Lee1972
08-05-2013, 09:42 PM
your not having much fun with these lrp escs Lee :thumbdown:

I have got a spare lrp shere esc if you get stuck we will be there friday now I have got through all this work i was doing:yawn:

Cheers Martin :thumbsup: