PDA

View Full Version : Off road or not?

K-Brewer
23-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Off road buggies, do we do them justice by running indoors or should we set them free by running outdoors when we have the chance? Opinions would be great guys

cunawarit
24-04-2013, 12:04 AM
In many ways I find indoors more fun, specially as there's way less to clean after racing. ;)

K-Brewer
24-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Yeah I see the cleaning part but using a off road buggy indoors pains me as love the bumps an jumps of an off road circuit an cleaning is all part of the daily grime

Danny Harrison
24-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Yeah I see the cleaning part but using a off road buggy indoors pains me as love the bumps an jumps of an off road circuit an cleaning is all part of the daily grime

Id say you need to visit some better indoor tracks if your not getting bumps and jumps. York is excellent for this with awesome rythem section, awkward bumps on corners and entering jumps etc. Makes the tracks there really challenging too. Batley indoors is also real good for this, but maybe a bit far away.

Outdoors is ace too though, but I love them both. :thumbsup:

Robby
24-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Since when does mandatory excessive cleaning & maintenance equate to off-road?

At that rate > Is it actually racing if we're doing it with toy cars instead of real cars?

Origineelreclamebord
24-04-2013, 05:54 AM
For me, if the grip becomes extremely high, it feels more like onroad with jumps than offroad :lol: - this is usually only the case indoors on carpet (like the EOS).

I really prefer outdoors - most indoor tracks seem to be ill prepared to keep your car intact in a bad crash (A concrete floor that is left exposed, walls at the end of a straight that don't have any damping structure on there to prevent broken shocktowers, sharp edges, hard barriers and awkward places to get your car stuck or break your car on, etc) - the lighting isn't good enough for the best action pictures, and there are a couple other reasons why to me outdoors is superior - even when that means you'll have to completely rebuild your car because the clay is stuck everywhere!

I think I also feel most at home on dirt/clay and wet astroturf :p My car, setup and me as a driver just seem to work better as the surface requires some sliding!

That said, it's all good fun, and indoor tracks are the bomb when the season is not suitable to run outdoors :thumbsup: But when it's above 10 degrees and the track is not covered with leafs, snow or a flash flood, I will pick to drive outside any day!

(This leaves me to conclude it might be cool to have a retractable (stadium) roof over a track) :lol:

johnnygibbon
24-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Outside hands down
We race off road
Like motocross or rally
It's dirty but miles better fun
And more manly than or carpet Tarmac racing hahahahaha

AfroP
25-04-2013, 08:02 AM
the problem with outdoor racing is the great british weather, and additional running costs.
Running indoors the weather doesnt matter and and in most cases there is always an electrical point to charge from. so no need for heavy, expensive car/leisure batteries or gennies.
running indoors also allows the option of running a different track every week due to different setup etc
so should help with driving skills overall and keep things interesting

grovenik
25-04-2013, 08:17 AM
I enjoy off road outdoor racing most but with the British weather that we seem to have got recently then indoors is a good option.
Yes it's not what buggies were designed for but even if indoors is only used for practice we are still getting out there and racing, enjoying what we do.

Jamesk
25-04-2013, 11:50 AM
I have always enjoyed out door racing, not a great lover of Astro but grass is huge fun and in my mind the most natural place for buggies. As others have said the british weather can be a problem, but some of my best/most enjoyabale racing outings have been in poor rainy conditions.

Carpet for me is for winter months.

Like most things in life its all down to choice.

jK

MrMagoo
25-04-2013, 12:03 PM
To be honest (and no offence to indoor clubs is intended by this at all), I tend to view indoors as a neccessary evil if you live in the UK. We're not blessed with amazing weather like California, and we don't have huge tracts of unused land either, so that means that for a lot of the year if you want to be guaranteed race action it's got to be indoors. Ultimatelly this country also doesn't have a big enough family of racers to justify the kind of indoor 'dirt nirvanas' that you see in the US - now that's offroad racing indoors! What we do in the UK on carpet, I'm not so sure it's really off road, but we do it pretty well.

As for outdoor racing - again I can see why astro is so big in the UK. I've helped out at dirt tracks (I come from 1/8th) and it's a lot of hard work and money to maintain a dirt track; you're also even more vulnerable to the elements. Astro outdoors is at least runable as long as it's not stupidly wet, it's also a lot lower maintanence. The downside? Crazy amounts of grip, which to me limits how 'off road' it really is.

Again, as long as it's racing, my buddies are there and we're having fun, it's all good. I just may spend some of the day dreaming about a nice, big, well groomed, clay track. One day when my numbers come up...

cunawarit
25-04-2013, 04:01 PM
more manly than or carpet Tarmac racing hahahahaha

Manly? Off road or not I don't think the general public not involved in RC racing thinks that getting up on a podium on a Friday or Saturday night with a little "controller" to drive a little "toy" car is all that manly ;)

Origineelreclamebord
25-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Well if we'd ask the general public, they may say that playing in the dirt is gross. They may also claim gross is not for girly... And finally, they might say that playing is not for grown-ups.

So, that makes us a group of immature gross boys :lol: I'll confirm the stereotype at my next race on clay: I'll come home with grease smeared over my hands, the face of a mineworker and clothing like I've been swimming in mud :thumbsup: Hail the mighty clay outdoor track!

jsw123
25-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Having only started in this hobby a few months ago I'm hardly qualified to comment, but I'm going to anyway! It's all about the outdoor for me, if we had nicer weather I doubt we'd even have indoor clubs? I love the uneven unpredictability of outdoor off road, I can't imagine enjoying indoor.

Robby
25-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Having only started in this hobby a few months ago I'm hardly qualified to comment, but I'm going to anyway! It's all about the outdoor for me, if we had nicer weather I doubt we'd even have indoor clubs? I love the uneven unpredictability of outdoor off road, I can't imagine enjoying indoor.

And that's where it might have been wise not to comment - because if you'd had 2 years or so of experience to base such a comment, you wouldn't have even bothered because you could have counted your dirt races on one hand.

And that's where it might have been wise not to comment - because if you'd had 2 years or so of experience to base such a comment, you wouldn't have even bothered because you could have counted your dirt races on one hand.

Otherwise, it's like saying that you prefer the tall super-model type of birds -
- despite being well under 2 meters tall, and weighing in at 130kg.

Ain't gonna work for ya, mate. ;)

Lee24h
26-04-2013, 01:48 PM
All i can say is ild love a proper dirt track near northampton and to race on dirt i wouldnt mind having to clean my as it wouldnt be as bad as the fine astro fibres that start getting past the shock seals from indoors.

K-Brewer
26-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Otherwise, it's like saying that you prefer the tall super-model type of birds -

It doesn't matter what experience u have the question was really what do u prefer an everyone is welcome to comment even if u have only raced for a day

Robby
26-04-2013, 02:06 PM
It doesn't matter what experience u have the question was really what do u prefer an everyone is welcome to comment even if u have only raced for a day

:rolleyes:

Didn't he say he was "hardly qualified to comment" ???

K-Brewer
26-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Didn't he say he was "hardly qualified to comment" ???

He thought he wasn't an I'm saying he is

jsw123
26-04-2013, 02:26 PM

I should have said 'Astro Turf' I wouldn't even try a dirt track, far too much cleaning.

jsw123
26-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Cheers bud! I didn't realize we had to pass a test before making comments!

Robby
26-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Robby
26-04-2013, 02:40 PM
I should have said 'Astro Turf' I wouldn't even try a dirt track, far too much cleaning.

In the greater scheme of things, especially considering some clubs have indoors astro tracks, indoor and outdoor tracks aren't that different to make enough of a difference to matter.
Neither is dirt-based, which is (in a world-wide perspective) imho the point of the whole discussion. ;)

End of the day, to me, racing is racing - you gotta deal with what you've got. :thumbsup:

pakistan7869
06-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Some times, yes

steveproracing
06-05-2013, 01:04 PM
The first time you put these cars on a dirt/clay track with big sculpted jumps you realise what they were made for. They really come alive. Nothing better. All racing is good. Indoors or out but dirt is what they are best on!!

jsw123
06-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Off road buggies, do we do them justice by running indoors or should we set them free by running outdoors when we have the chance? Opinions would be great guys

Having done my second race weekend, outdoors again, I can honestly say indoors can not do them justice. It's like indoor 5-a-side, it's fine when the weather is crap but let's face it the premiership is never gonna be an indoor league. I really want to find a dirt track now, sod the cleaning!

dicky14
12-06-2013, 07:07 AM
:thumbdown:indoors or outdoors it doesnt matter, we do it for the thrill of competition, west bridgford run an excellent indoor offroad series through winter, so does worksop and they have ex world champs racing at that venue. As for club meets we run at mansfield and have some very challenging jumps and such like with 2 types of carpet so the grip varies, the tracks that get laid are very challenging and test the best drivers out there, if you want indoor offroad come and pay us a visit, racing starts at 7pm wednesday nights:thumbsup: