PDA

View Full Version : Removing Tires

Tilly
29-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi guys
Just a quick question, any1 got any advice for removing glued tires from the rims?
Cheers

Craig

K-Brewer
29-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Leave them in a sealed tub of aceton for a couple days an they slide straight off

neallewis
29-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Acetone. Sealed in a tub of it, as mentioned. You can buy the pure stuff, or the pink cheap stuff that girls use on their nails. It all evaporates, so the cheap stuff is fine.

Tilly
29-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanx guyz

Great_Thark
29-04-2013, 09:46 PM
you can boil them off but you need good gloves to hold the wheel whilst its still hot

I did read somewhere that freezing works but I've never tried it.

mattr
30-04-2013, 06:19 AM
BTW, with the acetone, don't fill the tub, quarter of an inch in the bottom is enough. Its the vapour that does the work.

charlie2
30-04-2013, 07:17 AM
If anyone wants some proper acetone let me know as i can get it at cost!.

neallewis
30-04-2013, 08:35 AM
If anyone wants some proper acetone let me know as i can get it at cost!.

Ill take some free acetone please!

charlie2
30-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Ill take some free acetone please!
Cost n free not the same neal!.will sort you some.

bricol
30-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Any methods that don't wreck the tyres?

Bri

Tilly
30-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Lol nice try neal

Swell
30-04-2013, 09:33 PM
But watch out for getting your lip caught between the wheel
Any tyre.

I must add I have never tried this myself :D

neallewis
30-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Baking gives off cyanide and stinks.

i've successfully removed tyres to be re-glued on different rims with acetone. cleaned up quite well actually. you just need to stick it in the tin for a while, then part the tyres as much as you can with your fingers, then replace it in the tin as the bead comes unstuck. afterwards the tyre bead and rim will clean up with some acetone on a tissue.

Pank
01-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Makes rims brittle :confused:

PaulFarrand
01-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Personally I like divine intervention. You just put them on the side and wait for the tyre to magically remove its self from the rim. No toxic fumes and no murder by the missis.....

nivek
01-05-2013, 12:05 PM
You could use the glue Neil was using on Sunday, and they just fall off.
No need for Accetone or the Oven ....:p

Robby
01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

:thumbsup:

neallewis
01-05-2013, 03:41 PM

:p they started to come off the rims after the final, after Paul glued them. its the xray rims... nothing to glue the tyres to.

Danny Harrison
01-05-2013, 04:58 PM
+1 for acetone method. I put a set in a tub with cheapo £1 nail varnish remover (with acetone on ingredients) Just stuck it on fridge n forgot about it. No smell this morning, gave em a shake off outside, any liquid on them quickly evaporated (no chemicals on my fingers :thumbsup:) and they peeled away real easy.

Dunno about my rims being brittle but Im yet to crack 1.

My 2 cents. I'd likely forgot about them in the oven and burn them/stink out kitchen or something.

Great_Thark
01-05-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm going to try the baking, mucking about with tubs of acetone is a PITA and I have no missus to moan at me :thumbsup:

Will report back later :)

Danny Harrison
01-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm going to try the baking, mucking about with tubs of acetone is a PITA and I have no missus to moan at me :thumbsup:

Will report back later :)

Inch of nail varnish remover in a sanwich tub paul :) Be interesting to see how you get on though. I havnt tried it, but it just seems to be more difficult. I did read that the glue goes hard n brittle so comes away, but its then difficult to remove from the rim too.

Great_Thark
01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Inch of nail varnish remover in a sanwich tub paul :) Be interesting to see how you get on though. I havnt tried it, but it just seems to be more difficult. I did read that the glue goes hard n brittle so comes away, but its then difficult to remove from the rim too.

i have 2 sets to remove, one is sat in acetone (well asda nail varnish remover) in recycled chinese takeaway containers, one is going in the oven. Then I'll know for sure :p

Great_Thark
01-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Well one set 24hrs in acetone, one set 15 mins @ 120

and the winner is............... ASDA superglue :rolleyes:

charlie2
01-05-2013, 07:15 PM
nice one pv:thumbsup:.ive used proper acetone,done in 10 hours or less no probs.not tryed the baking method as i dont know how to use an oven,got a wife for that:woot::p.as for you two neal and robby,calm down or i will have to put you both on the naughty step!:thumbdown:

Swell
01-05-2013, 07:58 PM
What i like to do is race at cullingworth
that way no new tyres are required :thumbsup:

Great_Thark
03-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Acetone :thumbdown: too slow too much farting about, not a brilliant result.

Baking :thumbdown: just didn't seem to work for me, not overly smelly but I'm not a burd so who knows.

My solution... Place wheels in steaming dish of pressure cooker, raised on little stand thing you get with them, water below so your only steaming the wheels, pressure cook for 30 mins, turn gas off and leave to go cold, came straight off, foam more or less dry. no mess, no smell :thumbsup:

charlie2
04-05-2013, 06:57 AM

Baking :thumbdown: just didn't seem to work for me, not overly smelly but I'm not a burd so who knows.

My solution... Place wheels in steaming dish of pressure cooker, raised on little stand thing you get with them, water below so your only steaming the wheels, pressure cook for 30 mins, turn gas off and leave to go cold, came straight off, foam more or less dry. no mess, no smell :thumbsup:
now for the truth pv.take wheels complete with tyres and place in a bin bag.go to mb models and buy new wheels,tyres and foams.glue and fit to the car.job sorted:p

Tilly
04-05-2013, 07:32 AM
U could cut the tires off the rims before puttin them in the bin to salvage the inserts, save urself a few pennies at MB :-)

Great_Thark
04-05-2013, 08:06 AM
now for the truth pv.take wheels complete with tyres and place in a bin bag.go to mb models and buy new wheels,tyres and foams.glue and fit to the car.job sorted:p

This is my normal policy :blush:

The pressure cooker thing is so easy though I might salvage a bit more often

charlie2
04-05-2013, 08:26 AM
U could cut the tires off the rims before puttin them in the bin to salvage the inserts, save urself a few pennies at MB :-)
i do craig,but as i use acetone at work i cut the foams out,drop in the acetone when i get to work,pull them out at home time,peel the remains of the tyre off, wipe the wheels and then go home!:D.im not as rich as pv:p

Robby
04-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Interesting to hear your results -- but I'm a bit worried about anyone using a pressure cooker that's not smart enough to operate the oven. :lol:

Great_Thark
04-05-2013, 08:33 PM

Interesting to hear your results -- but I'm a bit worried about anyone using a pressure cooker that's not smart enough to operate the oven. :lol:

just have to hope the next batch of soup doesn't taste of rubber

Swell
04-05-2013, 09:56 PM
taste of rubber[/QUOTE]

Ha ha worry about you, you pv :p

Robby
05-05-2013, 02:33 AM
just have to hope the next batch of soup doesn't taste of rubber

No worries, I "heard" it tastes like chicken. :woot:.... but don't quote me on it.

Swell
05-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Going to try bakeing tyres off this morn and the infos been moderated
160 5mins each side was it :confused:

Swell
05-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Done worked a treat :thumbsup:

Bit of faffing but not rocket science.......
Really chuff i had no bb greens for today.......
I would use this method again

Great_Thark
05-05-2013, 07:29 AM

original was 120 5mins a side, lucky they didn't melt at 160 :o

Robby
05-05-2013, 02:21 PM

100-120* was my advice.
Usually 10 minutes the first side, 5 the second side after flipping them.

original was 120 5mins a side, lucky they didn't melt at 160 :o

200 is usually when they start melting, and result in people having problems from overcooking them. ;)

Done worked a treat :thumbsup:

Bit of faffing but not rocket science.......
Really chuff i had no bb greens for today.......
I would use this method again

Surprising easy, wasn't it? :thumbsup:

Glad it worked out for you.

Tilly
05-05-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm currently tryin the acetone method with some old wheels/tires i have to see how it goes. I'll try the oven if it doesn't work

Tilly
06-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Well i'm impressed, co-ops own brand nail varnish remover worked great. Put about 1cm in a tupperware, put the wheel in n put the lid on. Left in in garage for 24 hrs and the tire came away from the rim with very little pressure.

Thanks for the advice guyz

Craig

Great_Thark
07-05-2013, 09:54 AM
I must be too liberal with the super glue! That or the ASDA brand stuff is really strong.

HOTSHOT III
24-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know if the acetone method makes Kyosho or HotBodies rims brittle?