PDA

View Full Version : high power Xray t3 help please!

git-r
09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi all,

Ive been gradually upping power in my t3 '12 and seem to have hit a ceiling with how much power the standard car can take :(

It seems the back belt can't take the power and keeps stripping after sustained use (10 mins).

touch wood everything else seems to be holding up ok but I don't want to have to keep replacing the back belt.

Anyone had similar experience and found any fixes? Could I get a stronger belt? Am I running the belt too tight or too lose?

Thanks in advance:)

Phil_C
09-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi,

How high power are we talking?

Myself and the rest of the Xray team in the UK run 4.5t boosted with no problems whatsoever.

I find the standard setting on the rear belt with a gear diff installed is a little too tight, try backing it off one or even two notches to see how it feels.

I havent needed to replace the rear belt since the release of the T4 so theres no way you should be breaking one within 10 mins.

Hope this helps,

Phil.

git-r
09-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi Phil,

thanks so much for your reply - that's really helpful!

Great to hear what you've been running boosted 4.5t with no problems - could you point me in the direction of any other sites with some good info?

I was running a 5.5t motor with a speed passion reventon pro running 90% boost and 7 ddrs setting. It was running reliably until I turned the ddrs up - the ddrs increase made it accelerate incredibly though! :) it has two big fans blowing onto the motor and quite medium gearing and despite all the boost wasnt getting hot:)
I have been experimenting with a 3.5t motor and Orion r10 pro esc, only for a few batteries but rear belt seemed fine and car seemed reliable. Had problems with esc though..

I'll try running the belt loser as you say and see if that cures it as I had run it a bit tight before (some of the guys at my local track had recommended this).

where do you and the team guys race? I'd love to come and watch...

Ive only been doing this since Jan and am absolutely loving it! :)

thanks again!
Sam

Phil_C
09-05-2013, 04:10 PM
No problem, glad to hear your enjoying yourself!

RCtech.com has a good T3 2012 and T4 thread which has a huge ammount of information on. Definatly worth following.

The UK team are racing in the Schumacher BTCC championship and the BRCA Touring car nationals this season, along with the odd club meeting at the same tracks for testing. All information about dates and locations for these can be found on www.centralbooking.org (http://www.centralbooking.org).

If you are nearby to any of the tracks we race at then it would be great to come along to watch. Feel free to drop by the XRAY pits (big blue gazebos with XRAY logos) Everyone is friendly and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.

I would suggest a 3.5t may be a little too much now we are running boost and turbo with mod motors. I would never run anything lower than a 4.5t as it just builds up extra heat in the speedo and motor and we are pretty much at the limit of the tyre as it is!

Cheers,

Phil.

git-r
09-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Again thanks so much for all of that great info!!

I have some reading to do:)

Would be great to come and see some of those races - fingers crossed I'll be free and able to make some.. I've seen some of the races on youtube of you top guys - awesome but would be better to see live...

thinking about my belt stripping lol do you think it may be because im running 30 mm tyres on the back and 26 mm at the front?

cheers,
Sam

MeBeMikey
09-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Is diff oil leaking on the belt? If so, I've heard that this can cause belt snappage too.