PDA

View Full Version : SORC rnd 2 Stonehaven... what tyres???

aberscoob
10-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Hello,

What tyres are allowed for the SORC event next weekend at SDRCC?

It has been a while since i raced and have had very bad luck with tryes in the past :mad:

I have noticed a few folks are now using balistic buggy ones are these allowed and any good for grass??

now to go dust of the old Laser ZX-5 and see if it still works!

Cheers,

Steve.

Mr Eccleston
10-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Only the rear axle is controlled, you need either Schumacher mini spikes or Ballistic mini Spikes, any compound for both. Run what you like on the front axle. Basically it's the same as the nationals.

Usually it's Schumacher yellows in the dry and greens (schumacher or Ballistic) in the wet.

here's the official wording from the National entry form.

Control Tyres
: The 2013 National Championship permits only two types
of tyre for the rear axle at each venue.
Compound and quantity used is not restricted. Front tyres are a free choice.

The permitted rear tyres at all venues in the 2013 BRCA Off-Road National Championship are :-
Schumacher Mini-Spike
(Original & Mk.2) and Ballistic Buggy Mini-Spike.

KennyClark
10-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Start the day on greens as the grass is always damp/wet in the morning.
As the day goes on and the track drys/grass wears down switch to yellows.

paul whittock
11-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Kenny would this be the same for ballistics

discothesnake
11-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Ballistic greens, Schumacher yellows.

Ballistic have released white compound but not really sure if they work on grass.

Martin Wallace
11-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Ballistic greens, Schumacher yellows.

Ballistic have released white compound but not really sure if they work on grass.

Hi steve, like the others have said, the above racers and myself are all normally A final drivers. all you will ever need in your box is schumacher yellows for dry and ballistic greens for the damp/wet conditions.

i have never needed to use anything else apart from the 2 above. hope this helps you. :D.

aberscoob
11-05-2013, 10:43 AM
thanks guys :thumbsup:

i will get a a set of yellow and greens to start with.

decided to go get a Cat K1 for this meeting too, any tips on what i need to upgrade to make it tougher or is it strong enough out of the box?

cheers,

Steve.

KennyClark
11-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Steve I think the Cat is good straight from the box.
The only issues I have seen people having is with the shock ball grippa's coming off.
Apart from that its looks like a good car.
Martin won the first round with his so Im sure he can give you some pointers if you go and speak to him.

paul whittock
12-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Hi guys I have been well informed that ballistic whites do work on grass as long as its dry, i for one will be trying them .I will have a full selection with me aswell

KennyClark
12-05-2013, 08:29 PM
The Ballistic white compound is meant to be similar to Schumacher yellow.
Never run a set yet so not sure what they are like to drive.

aberscoob
12-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the info guys :)

Ordered the following-

Cat K1
Set of Mini spike (Yellow)
Set of Mini Spike (Green)
Savox low profile servo
5400 65c saddle pack
Speed Passion V3 5.5t motor

and a few other bits n bobs :)

Now here's hoping it all arrives in time for me to build it and more importantly that i can drive the thing!!

Cheers,

Steve.

discothesnake
12-05-2013, 09:46 PM
If you're worried about being able to drive it then maybe you should have went safer than a 5.5 motor. Most experienced drivers up here wouldn't use that low a wind. 7.5 or 6.5 is more than adequate.

What type of speedo you using?

aberscoob
12-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Lol I know!

What can I say, I'm a bit of a speed freak!

I will be using an old Nosram Pearl ISTC speedo I have had for years.

If nothing else it will give everyone a laugh watching me crash all the time!:blush:

Mr Eccleston
13-05-2013, 11:31 AM
you'd better hope it's dry and a big open track with that motor.

paul whittock
14-05-2013, 12:01 AM
You should give dual sky a try the track and field speedo is awesome or even the new vampire range. I'm sure a couple of lads up here were already offered these ........ ? ;)

aberscoob
14-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I sure am hoping for a dry day, i don't want to get my shiney new car a dirty!:lol:

I will bear that in mind about the speedo as i will prob be looking for a newer one at some point soonish :)

Just off the phone with the shop and they inform me that as i have moved house they didn't send the car out yesterday and that means i won't even see it till Thursday evening:eh?:

Just how long will it take me to build, wire and paint a K1 we will see!!

Cheers

Steve.

paul whittock
17-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Anyone know what the weather will be doing at the weekend ?

Mr Eccleston
17-05-2013, 06:01 PM
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=3;ct=27285~Stonehav en;sess=#forecast

I've got links on the SORC page for all the venues.

Looks like it's going to be wet, not so much on the Sunday, but the fact it will have rained all day Saturday. Sunday will be fairly warm however.

Supercoolnothing
18-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I've just been up at the site the grounds wet but not too badly waterlogged, there 's a few patches of standing water where the back straight normally goes and the river's a couple of feet higher than normal. I'd say that the conditions are roughly the same as last SORC round maybe slightly better. Looks like greens are going to be the order of the day tomorrow.

orinoco
18-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Anyone got a contact for Mikey to get the keys for the toilet block, he's up there and can't get in to set up his tent or in to the toilets.