PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Astro or Carpet

tomdav
03-07-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm a track owner in the US who runs a Indoor offroad clay track. Working in dusty, humid, moldy conditions 50hrs a week is becoming a drag. Track changes on your only days off is also a major drag. I'm looking at converting over to a synthetic surface and want to get some opinions on what makes the best indoor surface.......besides clay.:lol:

Ideally I would like a surface that is very durable with consistent traction. I'm leaning toward a very low depth turf because is seems like a tougher material than carpet. Is there a specific turf that produces the best racing surface?

Any help on the subject would be very helpful.

Tom
www.topgearhobbies.com

deano43
04-07-2013, 04:32 AM
hi tom

in my opinion astro turf is a great surface to race on, its durable has high grip and is the most used surface here in the uk for outdoor racing.and it should'nt be a problem laying it over the clay surface you already have but maybe a more exsperienced person could confirm this

OneKiwi
04-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Something you could consider is making the track flattish with some natural bumps and rises but not a heap of big jumps.

Then lay out the turf on that, nice and flat, glue the seams with something strong.
This way you could build a few jumps etc cover them in turf and then move them and the markings around at track change times.

You could have something permanent like a long tabletop that you could use the whole thing or come off the side.
Maybe a cross over bridge like at a few of the EOS races

funkydunkyboogie
05-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Carpet grip is ok but it can be damaged by screws hanging out of chassis and landings after jumps. I'd go with astro and if you wanted to mix things up a bit either leave a few turns as clay and or add some wooden areas.

Take a look at the like below for an idea

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1gnbrRLKng

cryer-evo
13-07-2013, 08:31 PM
astro would be the best for wear but carpet is good two but wears out faster :thumbsup: