PDA

View Full Version : Flight Controllers

Sherbs
01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I need a flight controller for my first Quad, a DJI F450. The KK2 is highly regarded & cheap, but I like the idea of the safety GPS features of the Naza M Lite. I'm concerned the Naza may be too automatic tho.....

northernmonkey
01-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Shoot me!:rolleyes:

Col
01-08-2013, 08:01 PM
There is no denying the Naza (with all it's massively costly add-ons) is awesome. Especially the GPS. If I was interested in aerial photography or FPV it would be the perfect beginner choice.
But I'm not. That's why I have 4 KK2's - without a doubt the best value flight controller on the market.

northernmonkey
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Or step it up a notch - CC3D.

neallewis
02-08-2013, 12:21 AM
I've been talking to some Germans this evening at OHM2013 https://ohm2013.org/site/ who recommen and fly with the MultiWii board. Seems to fly very well and does GPS position hold and waypoint flying with android based google map interface. it certainy seems better flying that the arducopter, although that waypoint interface and software is fantastic.

Sherbs
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info Neal, defo worth a look. Its the return to home feature that i'm liking on the Naza...

Ordered a 450 frame, Afro esc's & Sunny Sky motors now. Still got to decide on flight control & lipos..

andys
02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
As I'm very interested in Ariel video - is the Naza more stable on the same platform ?

Will it give smoother flight / video than the Kk2 in normal flight ?

Also - I've read that a Hex will be smoother for video - is this really the case - I'm undecided between a bigger Quad (The Tarot 650) or just going for a dji550.

Col
02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
As I'm very interested in Ariel video - is the Naza more stable on the same platform ?

Will it give smoother flight / video than the Kk2 in normal flight ?

Also - I've read that a Hex will be smoother for video - is this really the case - I'm undecided between a bigger Quad (The Tarot 650) or just going for a dji550.

With a proper gimbal and controller you shouldn't be able to tell what FC the copter is running - there are plenty of great, smooth vids on youtube using the kk2. Same for the naza.
IMO the only reason to buy a naza and GPS is because they are the best available plug'n'play option for newbie (ie easy to set-up correctly) Most of the serious/semi-pro set-ups go for a more advanced board. MultiWii is opensource so there is a variety of different firmware versions available to suit most functions.

Sherbs
02-08-2013, 09:16 PM
One big plus for a Hex is that it'll fly with a failed motor, thus saving expensive losses. Personally I don't like the look of them.

neallewis
03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
One big plus for a Hex is that it'll fly with a failed motor, thus saving expensive losses. Personally I don't like the look of them.

I don't think they will.. A quad with two motors/props on each arm will fly with a failed motor or prop. I saw one flying yesterday costing €15000, will post photo later.

Sherbs
03-08-2013, 12:43 PM
TBH I was quoting something i'd read somewhere....

The Multiwii looks very complicated:confused:

northernmonkey
04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Hexa with naza m v2 or v1 will fly with one motor/esc/prop down.

andys
08-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Can one of the Naza boys clarify something for me. I've tried 'googling' but not really found an answer.

Why is it that the Naza is so slow - in terms of flight speed. From what i have seen with Neal's and read online - in Atti (not sure what this is) or GPS mode it badly limits the speed. Only in manual mode can you use the power.

One forum user, said he switched to manual mode when descending as it took so long to come down. I'm confused, as I like the idea of all the features, but I don't like the idea of the controller limiting the performance of the Quad / Hex ?

neallewis
08-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Can one of the Naza boys clarify something for me. I've tried 'googling' but not really found an answer.

Why is it that the Naza is so slow - in terms of flight speed. From what i have seen with Neal's and read online - in Atti (not sure what this is) or GPS mode it badly limits the speed. Only in manual mode can you use the power.

One forum user, said he switched to manual mode when descending as it took so long to come down. I'm confused, as I like the idea of all the features, but I don't like the idea of the controller limiting the performance of the Quad / Hex ?

GPS mode does limit the speed, and max angle of tilt. Atti mode is faster and will tilt more,but you can tell its still holding back. Manual mode unleashes lots of power without self level, so is very difficult to fly. Moving to 4S speeds up the GPS and Atti modes somewhat however.

DJI with the naza are looking to crate a "safe" and user friendly controller platform, and have traded some speed and instantaneous (power) response to achieve it.

I guess you need a couple of quads, if you want different flight characteristics, lie fun/fast flight or a stable video platform.

northernmonkey
08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I was talking with Sherbs about this and why Naza cant implement manual mode with self level! its something they should do in a future update (hopefully).
Atti mode is fine for just getting used to flying, its the cheapest option in the long run (naza lite) and a good investment if you progress to fpv.

andys
08-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Cheers guys.

I'm building a 550 for video - so want it as stable as possible - if I go Naza it would be the light version due to price, I'm thinking a Go Pro, Hex and all the rest in the hands of a £20 flight controller may be a decision I live to regret !

Is there any better / lighter landing gear for the 550 than the aeroxcraft one - it looks great but heavy for what I want / need?

Ps Neal - I bought a 4S lipo - just to have a go and see what it's like on my 330 / 450 - its an absolute animal !

The 450 is super quick on 3S with the 2216 Sunnysky's - takes off like a rocket on 4S :)

Sherbs
09-08-2013, 05:58 AM
That's exactly why I've gone for the Lite. I'm a complete novice & hopefully the GPS function with return to home should be able to save me if I get too far away or confused. It is a pity that Atti mode is so similar to the GPS mode. Id have preferred an option of traditional throttle action. As far as a camera platform, it should be unbeatable.