PDA

View Full Version : Closed Cell inserts?

'caster master
07-08-2013, 07:34 AM
I race mainly 1:8th and closed cell inserts are the only thing anyone uses now, as soon as they buy a Schumacher tyre for astro or grass they usually swap the inserts for closed cell version from AKA or Pro-line because of how soft and spongy the Schumacher inserts are.

I wondered if anyone uses the closed cell inserts from Pro-line or AKA on 1:10th buggies on astro or indoor carpet, or does everyone just run the Schumacher inserts?

Thanks, Jon.

mattr
07-08-2013, 08:17 AM
I run the closed cells on some and the foam ones on others. They are all good.

The closed cell ones *seem* to last better. i.e. When i eventually cut the tyre off the closed cell is good to go again 9 times out of 10. The foams are regularly fit for the bin. (50% of the time maybe?)

(You can get hard foams btw)

Danny Harrison
07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I race mainly 1:8th and closed cell inserts are the only thing anyone uses now, as soon as they buy a Schumacher tyre for astro or grass they usually swap the inserts for closed cell version from AKA or Pro-line because of how soft and spongy the Schumacher inserts are.

I wondered if anyone uses the closed cell inserts from Pro-line or AKA on 1:10th buggies on astro or indoor carpet, or does everyone just run the Schumacher inserts?

Thanks, Jon.

I use the aka ones in all my tires except blocks and mini pins. I find them to be more predictable and got faster laps when i tried them side by side with blue foams.

They are especially good on slippy floor/carpet

The tyres do seem to wear differently though with more of an angle on the spike and a little quicker.

Steven Forster
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I use the aka ones in all my tires except blocks and mini pins. I find them to be more predictable and got faster laps when i tried them side by side with blue foams.

They are especially good on slippy floor/carpet

The tires do seem to wear differently though with more of an angle on the spike and a little quicker.

That's good to know about the closed cell inserts danny.....do they come in different compounds as well ?

Think I will give these a try ;)

Danny Harrison
07-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Theres different brands, i just stick with the red aka's. Ive found them to be great and they dont perish. I just cut tyres away, give them a wash in warm water and they good to go again and again.

lardy37
07-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Just recently started to try closed cell inserts and in the right conditions they do seem to work well, the main advantage with them is they don't absorb water so are better in wet conditions and they are designed to be reusable over and over again which is a good thing as they are more expensive than foams

'caster master
13-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Ok thanks for the replies I think I'll try a pair back to back with the medium schumacher tubby inserts I normally use and see which I prefer.