PDA

View Full Version : motor mounting in an S2

evilbert
23-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Cris has asked if i could post on his behalf as he can't access the computer right now..

he says that when building his S2 he had to file a small amount of the motor mounting plate to allow the mounting of the gearbox to the chassis, now he has come to put the motor in he can't get the screw holes to line up because he can't get the motor low enough...

is there something he is doing wrong or is this common... either way how do you get round this problem???

c0sie
24-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Come on guys, there must be atleast one other S2 owner on this forum?

Matt1
24-08-2008, 07:09 AM
What sort of motor plate AE? is the tab on the base of the front pin brace located? is the rear of the gearbox casing flush on the chassis?

c0sie
24-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Yes, AE plate.
Yes, all tabs fully located.
Yup, all flush :)

If it helps at all I had to file about 1mm-2mm off the bottom of the motor mount where it touches the chassis. Its as if the gearbox is lower than its supposed to be?
But honestly, there is no way that I can see that the motor screw holes will meet up with the holes in the motor plate :(

Matt1
24-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Ok is the the chassis recessed about a 1mm where the motor sits ?

Matt1
24-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Also i heard that AE has a new motor plate which is slighty thicker maybe this could be one of them do you have another motor plate to try ?

c0sie
24-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Matt. The chassis is recessed. I have had to undo all 6 gearbox bolts and inserted the motor that way. It seems ok so far :)

Body Paint
24-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Most of the S2 drivers have been at the Nationals all weekend :D

I have had trouble with another brand of motor plate but not had any bother with AE plates. My motor does touch the chassis and is fairly tight on the screw holes but the idea is to get the motor as low as possible, which it is.

Sounds like it's fitted and ready to rock now though :thumbsup: