PDA

View Full Version : Li Po Tranny packs for Sanwa

pugboy
27-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I've recently bought a used Sanwa Gemini 2 and the battery life on the nicad in it is pants, lasts about half an hour or so. I thought it would make sense to get a li po pack with about 3 or 4 times the capacity and there seem to be lots on ebay but none for Sanwa. The std configuration is 8 AA sized cells in a block of 2x2x2. Are any other brands the same configuration and could I therefore use the one for say a KO or a Futaba instead?

Cheers

Chris

Kopite
27-08-2008, 01:39 PM
i've got a pretty much new Sanwa Gemini II transmitter mate, with the kit battery pack. it's lasted for 4 full meetings (including 1 weekend national) easily, without being charged.

maybe it's just that the pack in it is fooked? (thought it might help to know that, rather than going out and spending more on an expensive pack for it)

:)

dan_kitty
27-08-2008, 02:02 PM
i bought my sanwa second hand and the kit nicad was no longer anygood, probably just due to age. replaced it with a nimh equivilent but higher capacity, two years later it still lasts long time.

just make sure your charger does nimhs and you may need to modify it so the plug fits

there are plenty on the bay for under a tenner

DCM
27-08-2008, 02:22 PM
other thing you have to be aware, if your transmitter is designed for 8AA cells, it must use 8AA cells, if you change to LiPo, and do a BRCA meeting, and get caught... your breaking the rules.....

Otherwise, for club they are good, have you tried searching for Vapextech on fleabay, they do lots of variants.

Zipper
27-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Stormforce Racing used to do excellent NiMH packs for the Sanwa Gemini transmitter, may be worth checking if they still sell them?

pugboy
27-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys, will look into that.

I've just got back into racing and have gone thew li po route, so don't have an ni mh charger.

Would I seriously get done for using the wrong batteries in the tranny?! What advantage would it give?! :eh?:

Looks like a normal nicad replacement will be fine, just that mine is past it's best from what you say.

Cheers

Chris

DCM
27-08-2008, 04:20 PM
in theory, nothing, but it is laid out in the BRCA manual, not that anyone would be checking, and I think they would have a hard time pushing a penalty like that through, but it is in black and white

bodgit
27-08-2008, 04:32 PM
you could take a look at these .they act a bit like lipo,s in that they lose very little voltage even if you leave them for weeks after a full charge the drop will be miniscule. I got them in my radio 3cvs and they do the job great £10.95 posted

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TX-Pack-9-6v-NEW-Technology-Nimh-Flat-Futaba-VAPEXTECH_W0QQitemZ220269516482QQihZ012QQcategoryZ 34056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pugboy
28-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks again guys, after the reassurance that the standard capacity would be fine I have just ordered a replacement nicad from overlander batteries for a tenner.

Cheers for the views, much appreciated and helpful :thumbsup:

Chris