PDA

View Full Version : Is the EOS 50D worth the wait?

Hans_Andersson
27-08-2008, 10:47 PM
I was thinking of getting a Eos 40D ( i sold my dirtbike, so now i might do something fun for the money).

Heres some specs for the EOS 50D http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_50D.html#specs

I think most of those are accurate. Now the question is; Is the new camera worth the wait and price? or should i get the Eos40D when it gets a little bit cheaper?

josh_smaxx
27-08-2008, 10:51 PM
If you have the money for the 50D then get the 5D, being a full frame camera it makes it 110% better.

The most important thing though is the glass you put on the front of it, the pictures are only as good as the lens they come through.

Hans_Andersson
27-08-2008, 10:57 PM
If you have the money for the 50D then get the 5D, being a full frame camera it makes it 110% better.

The most important thing though is the glass you put on the front of it, the pictures are only as good as the lens they come through.

I can afford the 50D, but not the 5D

mole2k
27-08-2008, 10:57 PM
The 5D is an awkward camera to use though so unless you need the superior image qualify specifically over usablily then it's the camera but a lot of people would be happier with a crop camera.

josh_smaxx
27-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Hmmm, i was sure the 50D was going to be like £1200. i stand corrected.

glypo
27-08-2008, 11:30 PM
The 50D will replace the 40D... so will be similar price.

Anyway, the xxD range has a very solid 18 month cycle, so the 50D will be released in February 2009, that's quite a wait!

Apart from the better sensor - the 50D sounds very similar to the 40D. The 40D is very capable and if I was you I'd get one. When I got my 40D in June there was £140 cashback which was very nice. To give you an idea, people still use 20D's with great results and they are two generations old... so you should have at least 4 years use out of a 40D before finding a need to upgrade.

mole2k
27-08-2008, 11:35 PM

Anyway, the xxD range has a very solid 18 month cycle, so the 50D will be released in February 2009, that's quite a wait!

Apart from the better sensor - the 50D sounds very similar to the 40D. The 40D is very capable and if I was you I'd get one. When I got my 40D in June there was £140 cashback which was very nice. To give you an idea, people still use 20D's with great results and they are two generations old... so you should have at least 4 years use out of a 40D before finding a need to upgrade.

I use a 20D :P

ady parkes
28-08-2008, 04:12 AM
why noy buy my nikon D2X what is for sale on oople instead!!!!

Spoolio
28-08-2008, 06:40 AM
I thoroughly recommend the 40D but I am no expert (in fact I chicken out a lot and leave it on auto for "important" shots! Only criticism I have is that the viewfinder is a bit on the dark side compared to say a Nikon D300 but at the time I bought mine (also with cashback) it came out over £400 cheaper than a Nikon so it was a no-brainer.

Jonathan
28-08-2008, 08:11 AM

DP Review say the 50D will be a 'sister model' and sold in paralled to the 40D.

Full low down here http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos50d/

I agree with all the other comments, you cant realy make a wrong decision. Ive used my 20D for four years now, its still a fantastic camera. There will always be a new model on the way.

Hans_Andersson
28-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I read on someones blogg ( a norwegian nature photographer) and he said that the autofocus was one of the fastest he had ever used. That is really interesting to me since fast AF is essential for me. I rarely prefocus and stuff like that, maybe i should learn to.

Is the canon cash back still available? I thought they stopped that a long time ago?

Yeah i thought about it if its going to be release in february. Hmmm... It is a long wait, but ive also heard its going to be release in october.

Spoolio
28-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Is the canon cash back still available? I thought they stopped that a long time ago?

Here in the UK I think it stopped at the end of June, no doubt just like buses there will be another one along soon :D.

P_B
28-08-2008, 06:53 PM
It seems to me that Canon have a specfic product cycle and use this, along with a large marketing budget, to drive sales despite only ever offering marginal benefits over prior models. This is not a slight on Canon quality, they set the bar high with the 300D and perhaps haven't shown quite as much progression as other brands in recent years.

If you're set on Canon then get a 20,30 or 40D now, get out there enjoying your photography and put any savings towards better quality lenses. The obsession with 'latest and greatest' really riles me, people have been taking stunning photos for dozens of years without autofocus, blazing fps etc etc.