PDA

View Full Version : the 2009 f1 cars

Garry Spice
28-08-2008, 06:49 AM
has any one else seen the new regs for next years f1 car`s? the biggest change in 10 years.they really want these cars to go slow.new reg`s say they`ve lost all wing-lets,barge boards,high skinny rear wings and really skinny front wings but they have driver movable elements which they can use twice a lap and a push to pass button using new kers system.hmm,they really look strange...and all this just to and overtaking,but surely as f1 stands at the moment the teams hold station until the pitstops then pass then cos they dont run the risk of crashing...so wats the new rules for???

c0sie
28-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Obviously there is an arguement for having all drivers in reletively similar cars..that way the best DRIVER wins...but then F1 is also supposed to be the pinnicle of motorsport development..so restricting things doesnt help.

Hope it makes F1 more interesting though..ive personally found it boring for years..

i4n
28-08-2008, 07:46 AM
You forgot the return of slicks! They alone should give more mechanical grip in low speed corners and give close racing with overtaking and wheel to wheel action.

I'm all for what they are trying to achieve - closer, more competitive racing with less aerodynamic aids (currently the cars are fine driving around on their own but as soon as they get within 2 seconds of another all the grip goes as the air is no longer smooth).

F1 has been boring for several years now, just processions with the odd overtake but this should liven things up nicely :)

Garry Spice
28-08-2008, 08:14 AM
aye,forgot big fat slicks,but i really dont think racing will change its to deep set in,but as long as lewis keeps win theres no complaint!

DCM
28-08-2008, 09:19 AM
the rule changes are to make more 'mechanical' grip rather than aerodynamical grip, but the fast cars will still be fast, and the slow ones, slow.... I am not sure about KERS though, as the electro-mechanical devices are having some serious issue's currently, but they are the way to go, as they are lighter and more effective than the purely mechical from the reading I have been doing.

Definately be interesting.... I say, get rid of pitstops too

xjr14
28-08-2008, 09:46 AM
there is one thing you got wrong, at least I think so. as far as I know the front-wings are supposed to become wider and closer to the ground. as they hope this will improve front-downforce and driveability in dirty air. and there are no movable elements, just the kers-push-to-pass-button. maybe I`ll track down the excellent link again, I found a few weeks ago. I desperatelly hope it will work out as they plan and some teams (honda/williams) will be able to take full advantage of this big opportunity. it will be interesting as to see how the teams will handle the kers system, some will have have the full package right from the beginning, some won`t use it in the first races and some will use a half capacity kers.........I also keep my fingers crossed aerodynamic genius adrian newey will put something revolutionary on wheels.......

xjr14
28-08-2008, 09:50 AM
...and DCM is absolutelly right!:thumbsup:....they are correcting what somehow went wrong in 1998, when they stupidly chose aerodynamic grip over mechanical grip :o.....the decision was doomed from the beginning and still they hung on to it for ten years :bored:...

xjr14
28-08-2008, 09:57 AM
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=f2009visualxh4.jpg

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5697&hilit=2009

...thats what they will roughly look like :(...still not as bad as the 1996 ->http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/michaelschumacher_ferrari_spafrancorchamps_1996.jp g

Garry Spice
28-08-2008, 07:17 PM
ok,cars dont look that bad,but im sure i read in autosport that the front wings had driver moveable eliments!:eh?:

telboy
28-08-2008, 11:20 PM
No aerodynamic elements are allowed to be moveable, remember all huff over the flexi wings etc?

I think it will be good. Its putting the cars back to a similar spec when the RACING used to be good and not the cars.

I do agree that it is the pinnacle of motorsport, but if the crowds aren't drawn in, then there wont be an F1.

By the way, did anyone think that valencia was the most boring race this year? :bored: 3 laps in and the field had spread out so much that no one was close enough to overtake! That track needs looking at for next year.
Yeah they had slow corners at the end of fast straights, but after the slow corners they had more technical corners which stopped everyone running close together. Rubbish!

jono83
28-08-2008, 11:21 PM
aye,forgot big fat slicks,but i really dont think racing will change its to deep set in,but as long as lewis keeps win theres no complaint!

was about to say they have bought full slicks back

Garry Spice
29-08-2008, 04:38 PM
saturdays qualifying was so dull! did any one else notice thea the sky was grey,track barriers was grey and the track was boring! dont care how much the bigged it up the whole place looked like a car park! f1 and views of shipping containers is not a sexy image! bernie....your a t*wt!

xjr14
17-09-2008, 10:16 PM
NEWS: Williams tested the first 2009 spec rear-wing on track at Jerez this week!...itīs pure uglyness:thumbdown::

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/bilder/zoom.php?c=08testjerez09&d=2&b=1221637825
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/bilder/zoom.php?c=08testjerez09&d=2&b=1221637817
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/bilder/zoom.php?c=08testjerez09&d=2&b=1221637803

...let`s just hope it looks better on the full 2009 spec cars!

telboy
17-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Sorry, but how shite does that look?:eh?:

Why make them so narrow?
Why not have them the normal width but introduce a maximum depth?
it would have the same effect.

it makes it look as though you're watching it in 16:9 aspect ratio on a 4:3 screen tv and its squashed the picture up!:thumbdown:

DCM
17-09-2008, 10:48 PM
a wider rear wing is far more efficient at producing downforce, but on the flip side to that, produces a lot of dirty air, so at a guess, by reducing the wing surface area, they are trying to get the air coming off the back of the car, cleaner, so the less effective front wing can still cope with it.

I guess the principle is that it just makes the car rely more on the mechanical grip, to reduce the effect of aerodynamics, to allow slipstreaming on straights, so tracks like Jerez street circuit become more exciting, with long straights and large braking zones...

Lets just hope they can make the cars astheticaly pleasing.

Southwell
18-09-2008, 06:57 AM
It looks like there will be push to pass too :thumbsup:

DCM
18-09-2008, 09:11 AM
It looks like there will be push to pass too :thumbsup:

thats KERS - Kinetic Energy Recovery System..... the one type of system gives mechanics a nice surprise... expect earth bonding straps....

peetbee
18-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Lets just hope they can make the cars astheticaly pleasing.

They're not exactly pretty now with all the winglets, etc.
I preferred the look from the mid to late eighties.

(cue someone saying that the best looking cars were from the '60's!)

I'm looking forward to the emphasis going back to mechanical grip though. Funny how history repeats itself though. FOSA outlawed ground effects over 20 years ago, now the FIA are doing the same for the modern equivalent.

glypo
18-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Smaller rear wing should make no difference. It's a stupid idea I think.You just run a thicker chord over the aerofoil and at a higher alpha to achieve the same downforce. The only issue is, running at a smaller span, you reduce aspect ratio and you will make the wing less efficient. i.e. from a smaller wing you will get more lift induced drag and stronger wing vortices - disturbing the airflow more.

I know one concept looked at is this:

http://www.fia.com/resources/images/1782256506__CDG_graphic.jpg

I can't be bothered to state the FIA's massive oversight there though.

The fact is, F1 cars are not aerodynamically efficient. My SEAT Ibizia, my Dads Honda Accord, heck basically everyones car has a lower drag coefficient than a Formula 1 car.

Why? Because they are opened wheel. Circles create massive, horribly alternating vortices off the trailing edge. They are the source for most the drag and most the turbulent air. Nothing to do with rear wings. I hope FIA realise this and allow proper wings on the back for 2010.