PDA

View Full Version : XB4 in 2wd

neallewis
16-09-2013, 01:11 PM
With the last of my big outdoor 4wd meetings done for the season I thought I'd try running my XB4 in 2wd mode, having seen how some of the converted 4wd cars are performing well.

I've head a few people pulling out front driveshafts, but I wanted to do a bit more to really improve the performance and rear grip.

Mid motor 2wd really requires the weight of the shocks at the rear of the car, and the XB4 can be built up with the shock tower mounted to the rear of the bulkhead, and wishbones swapped round to allow this. have people been doing this, or just running with the shocks in the regular 4wd position at the front of the wishbones?

What mods are being done to the front end? maximum camber? removal of front driveshafts, diff and propshaft. what else have people tried or seem to work?

I've not seen any detailed photos of the team xray 2wd converted cars. any floating round?

cheers.

AfroP
16-09-2013, 01:51 PM
think you'll struggle to find pics of the team cars in 2wd as they are prototype and have additional fabricated parts

Dudders
16-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Yes,

Chris Ellis and Glenn Westwood have done this to good effect. Us mere mortals have left as standard.

Try standard first and then change and see the different.

I'll be trying this mod soon.

Neil

neallewis
16-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Yes,

Chris Ellis and Glenn Westwood have done this to good effect. Us mere mortals have left as standard.

Try standard first and then change and see the different.

I'll be trying this mod soon.

Neil

I've already stripped down the rear end and swapped wishbones left and right, held the tower in place on rear of bulkhead and seen the it all fits and the geometry looks good. I'll assemble it properly later on this evening. Just need to take a file/dremmel to the ralls racing tower to shave a little off where it touches the diff casing. The kit towers fit fine however. its simple to do and nothing to buy to make it fit.

I now wonder how it will affect the performance in regular 4wd. Will the shocks over the rear help with a little more rear end grip?

Dudders
16-09-2013, 02:33 PM
No idea on 4wd front and whether it'll help in 2wd, again, not done this yet (due to laziness!!)