PDA

View Full Version : Dedication.....

_sleigh_
02-09-2008, 02:31 PM
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81391

daz
02-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I wouldnt call it dedication, i would call it sad! Whats wrong with a bit of washing up liquid and turtle wax.

stegger
02-09-2008, 03:00 PM
I think that lad needs to get layed:eh?:

Mash Potato
02-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I think that lad needs to get layed:eh?:

You beat me to it, was just going to say that.

_sleigh_
02-09-2008, 03:08 PM
That's funny, all of us in the office said the same. :bored:

Chrislong
02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
But us saps play with toy cars, no? :o :blush:

_sleigh_
02-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Maybe.

but I don't clean the wheels 4-5 times a week.... Or dislike the colour of the LED's in my speedo and RX so much that I get changed so they match... Or even open a brand new kit and spot a finger print on the chassis, so consider sending back the kit... :o

Nevertheless... he could alway come round and clean my car :D

Chrislong
02-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Each to their own I say, if thats what he chooses to do, good for him, he's done good (and ive done detailing as part time work).

The people I do criticise are those who have no interests.

MattADH
02-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Chris Long and I know the dedication that these guys put in. One of Chris' friends Scott spent the Friday and Saturday of the last national at Bury Metro cleaning my A4 and the results are well worth the effort.

Yes I would not go to those lengths but you cannot ignore this guys attention
to detail. My brother is a good friend of Paul Dalton who is referred to in the article. Paul now has his own line of detailing wax made to his specification and makes the trip to Switzerland to discuss its development.

Like Chris says, I am sure that the detailing guys think we are sad but we all do it cos we enjoy the hobby.

Lee
02-09-2008, 04:04 PM
if i spent that much time washing and polishing etc i would never drive it.

It annoys me when i pay a fiver at the car wash and it rains on the way home :woot:

i4n
02-09-2008, 04:47 PM
And the first time he pops down to Tesco in it I bet someone will open their door into the side of his causing one of those really annoying dents...............:D

GRIFF55
02-09-2008, 04:57 PM
verrry clean, but for foooks sake its an astra at the end of the day!!

Lee
02-09-2008, 04:59 PM
i wanted to say that, but didnt want to offend astra fans:thumbsup:

Rich D
02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
verrry clean, but for foooks sake its an astra at the end of the day!!

Some skilled work and serious dedication there it has to be said. However, as above, its an Astra :bored: :wtf:

Astra or a nice low mileage Porsche for similar money ? :drool:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/603752.htm

Chrislong
02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
This thread is really pissing me off. I give max credit to the guy, id rather know people like him than people who don't give a toss.

So what if its an Astra, he's proud of it. When I eventually have a garage, my car will be getting similar attention regular, so what if its a Focus, the difference is its my Focus - just like that Astra is his Astra. Im actually quite jealous that he's able to do it in terms of time and effort.

Rich D
02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
This thread is really pissing me off. I give max credit to the guy, id rather know people like him than people who don't give a toss.

So what if its an Astra, he's proud of it. When I eventually have a garage, my car will be getting similar attention regular, so what if its a Focus, the difference is its my Focus - just like that Astra is his Astra. Im actually quite jealous that he's able to do it in terms of time and effort.

Fair play Chris - apologies if i have offended :(. Id never spend £30k plus on a £15k car but thats me - all credit to his dedication and effort though.

jimmy
02-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Whats to get pissed off about Chris? People who don't bother? that's about 99.999999999999% of the worlds population you're ruling out as friends then?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bungleaio
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
As far as I know he's a pro detailer so doing things like this are good for business. Even he admits that it didn't need 51 coats but this is what he enjoys doing so fair play to him. He's worked with Paul Dalton of Miracle detail, I've seen some of his other posts detailing veyron's etc and the difference the detailing makes from being clean is astounding.

cjm_2008
02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
good on him i say, even though 280 brake in a FWD is a bit of overkill....

GRIFF55
02-09-2008, 08:06 PM
His engine detailing and fabrication is awesome. no offence meant chris, Its just i used to work for bmw which even those come through with bits of shit in the paint from new. He mentioned returning the car to the dealer for a couple of mil bit of dirt in the paint. find me one new main dealer car thats not got this anywhere under close inspection. Each to thier own:thumbsup:

PaulRotheram
02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I thought I washed my car throughly, that guy takes it to a whole new level!

Love the car and colour too, always fancied an all white astra or focus with white spoked wheels! mmm :drool:

ben
02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
"A total of 2 microns is removed getting the scratch the best possible..."

:lol:

ashleyb4
02-09-2008, 09:52 PM
My cr needs a clean i wonder if he will come and clean it.

If thats what he is into let him do it.

A

DCM
02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
I used to be a polishing monster with my cars... now they are lucky to see a car was, let alone a hoover!!

Lee Martin
03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I WANNA KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK TO UPLOAD THE BLOODY PICS!

ben
03-09-2008, 12:38 PM

It said it took 30 hours to do the car and upload the pics :o

Chris Doughty

you know what, I thought the same thing, some time went into that forum post for sure!!

millzy
almost as long as it is to upload pics on facebook

Agent Smith
03-09-2008, 01:12 PM
What does he use to wash the semen off when he's finished?

millzy
03-09-2008, 01:15 PM
DAZ.

Colinevan
03-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Just like Chris and a few others on here i have dabbled with detailing my car. Iv had a few Bmw's inc the below Schnitzer and a std M3 evo.

With the schnitzer, i learned that these products actually made the car look younger, appeared much more glossy and made the car more apeasing.

The biggest surprise for me was how much a clay bar made to the initial clean up and preperation of the new cleaner wax's and or polishes that i would use to make the car mint. I literally removed all the old layers of polishes and waxes that i thought was helping in the early days and started a fresh.

A quick sneak pic of my old car at Trax..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/col.evan.mil/P9050044.jpg

Before anyone pips up that its only an astra... So what.. The car you see above started life as a std 318is sport, which was only a 1.9 16v with around 150 bhp (once it had a throttle body mod, new exhust , bmc filter and a remap custom chip. ) It also had receipts of over 9K from Bmw to bring it up to the Schnitzer spec that you see. The owner before me actually also had 6 pot brake coversion fitted alongside a 340 bhp highly tuned 3.2. Sadly not acquired by me.

I used to frequent many bmw shows and loved nothing better than prepping the car for a show. Mine was always clean but alas was not concours due to having a few incidents with many bodyshops touching things up here and there and the fact that my car was always flying up and down the motorways acquiring many stone chips etc.

How circumstances change, I now drive a £400 306 which thinks that her birthday is here when i get the bucket and sponge out to clean her. Im soon to be buying a nice Audi a4 quattro but sadly dont have the time or effort to make as new lol..

ryan_93
03-09-2008, 08:59 PM
my dad detailed my mums car last week and put it on detailing world it looks great now :woot:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83842

Chrislong
04-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Love the Beemer Col, shame you haven't kept it.

If it wasn't for this crappy weather, id be giving my Focus a good do over weekly. But right now its such a mess, probably could do with a few panels resprayed now. :(

GRIFF55
04-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Won't they farecla back to life Chris? G10 should do the trick:thumbsup:

Chrislong
04-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Won't they farecla back to life Chris? G10 should do the trick:thumbsup:

Well, it'd make a difference. But the Front offside wing had been buffed to within an inch (micron) of its life, so now it has a rash of stonechips. Similarly the bonnet too. Then there is a dent on the nearside rear arch id like to be sorted, and both doors have rust starting where the mirrors rubs (common Focus problem - will modify the mirror with Dremel when off). Also the passenger door has some ripples as it had previously has seen filler and over time its lifted.

What I could do is use touchup pen on the rash, and then flat, buff and polish - but the remaining paint is so thin it really needs completely doing. Bonnet has plenty of paint on - so could do that there. Thing is I don't have any free time and im driving it a lot now, so it'll just collect more.

For now i'll just keep it clean, and if the day comes I have a garage to keep it in over night every night, it'll be made perfect again.... but that day may never come, not with this car anyway. :( I hate not having an immaculately clean car and right now it is hanging.

Northy
04-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Chris, if you feel so sad you can come and sort out my Vectra :thumbsup:

Chrislong
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Chris, if you feel so sad you can come and sort out my Vectra :thumbsup:

Cool, its a big car - id feel far better after doing that. :thumbsup: :blush:

bigred5765
04-09-2008, 01:55 PM
how much do u charge chris the zafira needs some love

Chrislong
04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
how much do u charge chris the zafira needs some love

How much do I charge to come and hump your car? :eh?: You'd have to clean it first. :thumbsup:

I don't do it anymore, I can't even find the time to do my own. But I can recommend - www.obsessivecardetailing.co.uk :)

Nick Goodall
04-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I remember a similar thread got posted on the MLR (Mitsubishi Lancer Register) a few months back but it was a standard Astra VXR - The poor guy got rippppped much for the same things people here have said, as in why bother etc etc.....

Personally it doesn't bother me what someone does with their own time, it's borderline OCD really but great if you're making a business out of it!