PDA

View Full Version : looking for a TRF416

Lowie
02-09-2008, 06:51 PM
no off-road-car but I am looking for a (new) TRF-416 ... and it seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Anyone know a good shop, where it is still in stock (at a reasonable price?)
thx

gargadud
03-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Try here :

http://www.planet-rc.ch/product_info.php/info/p1448_42106-TRF416-Chassis-Kit.html

Good luck :)

simoncook
03-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Have you tried these guys?

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Tamiya-TRF416-p/ta42106.htm

I would email them first too see if they have got it, or they can get it in. In my experiance, these guys are very good for Tamiya.

qatmix
03-09-2008, 12:41 PM
They are sold out pretty much everywhere. There is another batch being delivered at the moment to some suppliers. I know RC champ have some coming in.

You using it for indoors or outdoors racing?

Lowie
06-09-2008, 06:33 PM
mainly indoor, why?

qatmix
06-09-2008, 11:07 PM
The chassis has a bit of flex in it (2.25 mm) carbon is used to allow it to work well with outdoor circuits.

I race indoors on a technical circuit so opted for a ta05ms (less flex) as its designed for tight indoor technical circuits. I use a 19t in mine and its sweet. Although as the motor placement is more in the middle it may not be good for Mod class racing.

Just thought it might be useful for you to consider the range of TRF cars.

Lowie
06-09-2008, 11:31 PM
The chassis has a bit of flex in it (2.25 mm) carbon is used to allow it to work well with outdoor circuits.

I race indoors on a technical circuit so opted for a ta05ms (less flex) as its designed for tight indoor technical circuits. I use a 19t in mine and its sweet. Although as the motor placement is more in the middle it may not be good for Mod class racing.

Just thought it might be useful for you to consider the range of TRF cars.

That is a very good argument THX!
Also, a very close friend of mine, has a TA05MS and a TRF416.
He also drove his TA05MS when he had parts broken on his TRF, using it as the backup-car, .. and he was astonish how well the MS performed, even going better then his TRF (it was on a tiny indoor-carpet-circuit).

If I choose for the MS, I guess I would even still be able to use all my TA05-parts as the spool, one-way, diffs, ...

I guess, those Tamiya top-pilots, only drive the 416 because off publicity-reasons? Or do they also run with the Ta05MS or the TB05MS?

I was just thinking that I couldn't go wrong when buying a TRF 416.
But I also must admit that I might be possible that I compete in Belgian Championship and that is driven out-as well as indoor.
How does the TA05MS perform outside then?

DaveG28
07-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Hi Lowie

Thought I'd add my 2 pence worth:

I've used both the MS and the 416 before, on smallish indoor circuits, and although the MS felt better (sharper turn in, the 416 you could see flexing much more (inside rear wheel would lift sometimes!) and was a bit "lazier") I was always, and I mean always, faster with the 416 anyway!! With both that was running a 10.5 brushless! The thing to bear in mind is that the 416 was not just less stiff, it's designed all round for as much symmetry as possible, belts either side of the spur, pulleys equal offset, steering mounted through the centre point of the topdeck etc.

Not dissing Qatmix though, I too have heard most people find the MS better for 19t or stock (I heard somewhere a lot of team drivers use it for that too?), and like I said mine always "felt" quicker, I was never too good at coping with a twitchy tourer so maybe the best choice would be whichever suits your style best? They are both really well engineered kits!

Lowie
07-09-2008, 10:37 AM
OMG, you are not making it any easier for me to decide :D
Because, since I'm still a beginner, I would compeed more in the stock-classes and not the very powerfull Modified. So hence, A TA05MS would be OK then.
All I know is that I drive best when using a fluid style. I discovered I drove best when driving with a One-way. The Spool made it possible for me to "attack" more but I would then make more mistakes.

On the other hand, since the 416 is OK too, or the diff is small anyway, in case of indoor-performance ... maybe it would be smarter for me to go with the 416 ... but at a much greater cost. I would not be able to use my TA05-parts (spool, diff, one-way) and have to buy new ones + the 416 chassis is more expensive.
Also, Is the TA05MS a keeper? I mean will the parts stay around, easy to find?
The 416 has a Tamiya-number beginning with 49... , so it is only a temporary thing also ??!

Deciding is difficult.

qatmix
07-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Heh! No diss taken.

I just wanted to mention it, i have a friend who lives in japan and he told me the ta05ms is the car of choice. It won the 2007 reedy indoor something or another as well

There is a team driver who race them (its a tight indoor circuit) im not saying that its better than the 416 just that the ms might be a better fit (you can also convert the fdr and the steering to the same as the 416 appar)

Cheers

DaveG28
07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
The MS seems to be a keeper, its been around a year now I think and is still the most easily available. I would have thought the 416 will just keep getting updated and new variants come out!? Always har dot tell with Tamiya though!

Could be worth you going on tamiyausa and looking at the 2 cars manuals, it will tell you which has the most compatibility (although vitually everything on the 416 was new so it won't be compatible with much else!). It sounds like overall the 05MS could be a better bet for you, I've heard the team drivers use it for stock classes too!