PDA

View Full Version : The 2nd LBMCC Tamiya M Chassis Grand Prix supported by Much-More UK

Straightspeed
03-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Tamiya Mini Drivers, put a date in your diary.

Leighton Buzzard Model Car Club
Presents the second
M Chassis Mini Grand Prix.
on
Sunday 30th November 2008
Supported by
Much-More UK
Sponsored by
Selections Racing
And in aid of
The National Gulf Veterans and Families Association

10* Car Heats. Minimum of 4 x 5 minute qualifying rounds and three leg finals

Class Structure

Class 1. Mini Se7en. LBMCC Race Series Cars

Tamiya M03 FWD Chassis, all variants (M03, M03M, M03L and M03R)

Any Commercially available, M Chassis specific, Lexan Body Shell

Any Tamiya D60 Radial (treaded) tyre with any insert. No additive permitted.

1700mah “Stick Pack” type, commercially manufactured cell.

20t Pinion with kit provided internal diff and gearing (no ball diffs)

Kit supplied Mabuchi or Johnson 540 “Silver Can” motors

Class 2. Mini Miglia. Tamiya Eurocup Series Cars

All cars must be built to the standard specifications and without modifications, other than hop up parts listed below. No other standard parts other than these may be used, Non Tamiya pinions of the same pitch, sizes 16t to 20t can be used. Any Tamiya shims, spacers and O rings can be used. This is mainly for the removal of play in moving parts. Parts that vary only by colour are also permitted. The use of solid differentials is not permitted. These must be built as per kit instructions. However any grease or oil maybe used. Blue-tac or other similar substances are also not permitted.

Tamiya M03 FWD Chassis, all variants (M03, M03M, M03L and M03R)

Any Commercially available, M Chassis specific, Lexan Body Shell

5.0mm Minimum Ride Height inc Shell

50746 – CVA Super Mini Dampers

53619 – CVA Mini Dampers

53569 – Clamp Type Aluminium Wheel Hub (6mm Thick)

53056 – Pin Type Wheel Adaptor

53344 – M03 Aluminium Heatsink

53345 – M03 Toe-in Uprights

53523 – M03/04 Aluminium Front Uprights

53597 – M03 Assembly Universal Shaft Set

Aluminium hardware parts including screws, ball joints and turnbuckles maybe used. No other Hop up parts may be used, unless notification of change is made during the season. Non Tamiya or other Tamiya hop-up bearings of the same size (e.g. 53008, 53029 & 53066) can be used in place of metal or plastic bushes. Bearing shields may not be removed. Any Tamiya Spring may be used as long as it is without modification. 5.0mm Ride Height rule will be enforced.
Limited Edition parts (49xxx)

49417 M-03R Chassis Kit

49421 M-03R Aluminium Front Uprights

49422 M-03R Aluminium Rear Uprights (Toe-in)

49423 M-03R Aluminium Servo Mount

49424 M-03R Aluminium Motor Heatsink

Speed Controllers

45029 ESC TEU-101BK

CPR UNIT (FROM OLDER XB PRO KITS)

Bodyshells

As listed in General Rules above.

Wheels

Any Tamiya 60D wheel can be used. This included hop up (53xxx,54xxx) and carbon reinforced wheels

Tyres

50683 - M-Chassis 60D radial tyre

50684 - M Chassis M Grip Radial Tyre

53254 - M Chassis S Grip Radial Tyre

Tyres must not be modified in anyway. This includes belting and rounding of the edges of the tread. Additive may be used. Maximum tyre diameter is 62mm.

Inserts

Only 1 insert per tyre. Inserts cannot be modified in anyway. Only 60D inserts are permitted.

50686 – 60D Inner Sponge Set

53204 – M-Chassis Inner Sponge

53255 – 60Dinner Sponge (Hard) Set

Motors

Motors are Tamiya RS540 Sport Tuned (53086) Not handed out!

Class 3. Mini Silhouette. Modified Class

Any 2WD or 4WD Chassis max wheelbase 225mm:

Any slick or treaded rubber tyre/insert/Wheel (excluding Mini pin and Rally block type tread patterns) Additive permitted. (must be via a safe applicator)

Any NiCad, NiMh or LiPo Cell.

Any Motor Up to 19tbrushed/10.5 Brushless.

Any Commercially available bodyshell

All other specs are open.

Full online booking in can be found at: www.lbmcc.camelot-rcca.co.uk/

cjm_2008
03-09-2008, 07:12 AM
bitchin'!:thumbsup:

simon
03-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Great stuff!!!....see you there!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Straightspeed
05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Now open - Book early:thumbsup:

http://bookin.lbmcc.org/

cjm_2008
05-09-2008, 10:22 AM
quick question: i've whacked the TRF threaded alloy shocks onto my m03r... are these permitted in the miglia class, or do I have to use the fragile looking transparent blue CVA dampers?

entry form filled in and submitted :thumbsup:

Straightspeed
05-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Eurocup rules permit CVA Plastic dampers only. You can use them in the Mini Se7en Class though.

cjm_2008
05-09-2008, 10:40 AM
ok.

which class is likely to have the best turnout?

edit: the mini se7en class looks fun, and i'll want to be keeping wear and tear off my sport tuned motor as I'm using it in the chippenham thrashnal series. I'll have to change my booking (as I just booked into the miglia class!)

Straightspeed
05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I would expect 30+ entries for Mini Se7en as thats the "local" class, supported by both LBMCC and nearby Aylesbury.

rcluke
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
quick question: i've whacked the TRF threaded alloy shocks onto my m03r... are these permitted in the miglia class, or do I have to use the fragile looking transparent blue CVA dampers?

entry form filled in and submitted :thumbsup:

be careful with the blue ones mate, i snapped the top off 2 of mine by driving it in a straight line down my drive :thumbdown:

MHeadling
08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
im up for it, trying to get a few of the lads who race mo3's on 12th night at Maritime (chatham ) to come along.

Sods law i just sold a nice hopped up mo3!

So time to buy a 4wd on me thinks! which is best ABC genetic or Xpress?

which is best for spares back up?

With the xpress mini which version is best to go for?

sosidge
08-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Up here we've found the ABC to be streets ahead of the Xpress, better parts quality and better handling and efficiency out of the box, although that is reflected in the higher starting price. Outdoors at the Carlisle Cup where we have been having a Mini class I would estimate that the ABC is a solid 1 second a lap faster around a 19sec tarmac lap, same tyres and motors.

Equally, we've had reports from other clubs that the Xpress is quicker!

Don't forget that Much-More UK now have the Active Hobby Mini available, this is belt drive and although I haven't seen it yet myself it promises to be even better than the ABC - think TC3 vs any modern belt tourer. But again the Active car is also a shade pricier... pays your money, takes your choice!

Much-More UK keep full parts support for all the Minis they supply, so any shop should be able to get the parts very quickly.

MHeadling
09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
yes the active mini looks nice! will the mini (old shape) fit the xpress,active and abc? can you also put on other shells civic, yaris,swift, etc?

What rubber is good for carpet? the hpi x pattern? ride etc?

im thinking xpress pro, but could be swayed!

sosidge
09-09-2008, 07:05 PM
yes the active mini looks nice! will the mini (old shape) fit the xpress,active and abc? can you also put on other shells civic, yaris,swift, etc?

What rubber is good for carpet? the hpi x pattern? ride etc?

im thinking xpress pro, but could be swayed!

The Xpress, ABC and Active are all built for the 210mm wheelbase shells, so that includes classic Tamiya Mini and all the ABC and Active shells that Much-More UK have. There are loads of absolutely mint shells to choose from, personal favourite so far of those I have seen mounted is the ABC Mini Pickup.

Hopefully someone that knows the club will know a bit more about the tyres in use, the best ones I have seen in use up here are the Xpress T27s but I wouldn't be surprised if others go better when the grip comes up.

With a bit of luck I may be able to make the GP myself in the silhouette class, alongside Mr Much-More UK himself!

MHeadling
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes the mini pick up looks cool! not so sure about how it would handle. The MO-3 lads at Maritime run the BMW miniMO3 M, Suzuki Swift, Mclaren F1.

I was thinking the HPI civic would be good? any suggestions would be good?

I am going to order some RP 28,36s and some moulded inserts, will try the T27, are they like the treaded T27 you would use on a touring car?

Still having a think on the chassis options, like the active car at the moment!

sosidge
09-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Mini pickup is quite tail happy! McLaren is planted but ugly and personally speaking I feel it is slightly outside the spirit of Mini racing, although anything goes at this event.

The HPI Civic is 225mm so tricky to fit on the 4wd cars. HPI Civic is also discontinued and very hard to find - I used to have one and it took a bit of lck to find it!

Yes, the T27's are identical to the touring ones but obviously a smaller diameter, come with the same soft foam inserts too!

Straightspeed
11-09-2008, 09:17 PM
The Xpress, ABC and Active are all built for the 210mm wheelbase shells, so that includes classic Tamiya Mini and all the ABC and Active shells that Much-More UK have. There are loads of absolutely mint shells to choose from, personal favourite so far of those I have seen mounted is the ABC Mini Pickup.

Hopefully someone that knows the club will know a bit more about the tyres in use, the best ones I have seen in use up here are the Xpress T27s but I wouldn't be surprised if others go better when the grip comes up.

With a bit of luck I may be able to make the GP myself in the silhouette class, alongside Mr Much-More UK himself!

Hi, sorry, busy time of the year at work, so I cant get in here often.

We've very little experience with 4wd 225mm Chassis's at the club. I've run an old HPI and a Corally, and we've had an Xray run, all of which used LRP 24s Touring Cars Wheel/Tyre combos. No one has ever run Mini size rims! With that in mind, just about anything, from 24 to 30 seems to work. The carpet is Primafelt GT and has had about 6 months use. Grip is very good, and very consitant, and as you would expect, increases significantly throughout meetings.

FWD chassis's work best with M or Super Grip D60 Radials, hard inserts up front, soft or Med at the rear.

Hope that helps.

MHeadling
12-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Any idea where to get an M03 R? most shops seem sold out :thumbdown:

rcluke
12-09-2008, 09:24 PM
try

www.rcmart.com

or ebay

cjm_2008
13-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Any idea where to get an M03 R? most shops seem sold out :thumbdown:

I bought mine from an ebay seller called 'modelstation' based in california. but there are plenty on ebay from HK :thumbsup:

MHeadling
15-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Well I have got myself an MO3 coming, im going to do the Mini 7 class.

Just one problem, where to get 1700mah batteries? I have had a look at Nosram/LRP but they only do 1800 mah ones.

Also is this class free on shocks, option parts etc?

cjm_2008
15-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Well I have got myself an MO3 coming, im going to do the Mini 7 class.

Just one problem, where to get 1700mah batteries? I have had a look at Nosram/LRP but they only do 1800 mah ones.

Also is this class free on shocks, option parts etc?

time tunnel models / goldstar stockists are doing ansmann 1500mah packs for about £6 a pop :lol:

I bought 6.

I finished building my other m-03 last night. it's the standard kit. bizarrely, the gearbox is way better (more free-rolling) than the m03-r - looks like i'm going to have to do a bit of investigation.

MHeadling
15-09-2008, 03:21 PM
The Ansmann cells sound ok, who knows what they will be like!

As for options, is it open in the Mini 7 Class???

Tony Gray
30-09-2008, 08:57 AM
And....due to constant pleading from poor old Keith at Muchmore UK...

Also making a special appearance at the Mini GP for the very first time...

The legendary, stylish and just oh so comfy - rc-mini.net TQ jersey!

Watch people deliberately throw a run just so they don't have to wear it!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/anthonygray/orangejersey.jpg

Note: Fat Australian not included.

p.s. We're sending something else over as well but I'll let Keith tell you what that is.

Cheers!

Tony Gray

KeithA
16-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Huge thank you to Tony at rc-mini.net for the TQ jersey - I think some of us may struggle to get into it but a XXXXXL should fit tha majority of us!

Tony's far too modest to mention the superb mini shell he has painted up for a prize at the LBMCC Mini Grand Prix......

Thanks again Tony and remember you're welcome to come over!

http://muchmoreracing.com/images/stories/news/2008Sep/DSCF1173.JPG
http://muchmoreracing.com/images/stories/news/2008Sep/DSCF1174.JPG

Tony Gray
17-10-2008, 01:40 AM
That's Jay wearing the jersey, not me..I hasten to add!

Straightspeed
16-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Due to an amendment of our club car regulations, we must make a change to Class 1 Mini Se7en.

Diffs are now open - Ball or Geared, although gearing remains as is - 20t Kit Pinion.

It would assist us greatly if those attending use the online booking in facility, just to speed things up, especially those new to the club as building the race data on the day will restrict track time.

http://bookin.lbmcc.org/

You will help by entering without paying as we can take payment and confirm the entry on the day.

MHeadling
16-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Straightspeed can you take me off the booking in list as I can't make it as going karting

Straightspeed
23-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Straightspeed can you take me off the booking in list as I can't make it as going karting

Done! Pity though.

If you have a Caravan or Trailor of some sort you may want to bring it along :woot:

Straightspeed
27-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Raffle prizes now include:

A Much-More UK donated Mini 4WD Kit (not sure if its a Genetic, Active or Express)

The body shell posted by Keith earlier in the thread.

Thanks to Keith and Much-More Racing.

We also have a Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin from The Hobby Company and Much More :wub