PDA

View Full Version : Swb tm2

adey
11-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Swb tm2
Hi all, I have a tm2 and use it mainly indoor on carpet. I was thinking of making a short wheel base chassis for it as I thought it might make it more nimble on the generally tight indoor track I race on. I was planning on losing about 10mm from the section between the servo and motor mount. Anyone think this will work ?. Also my chassis will have stiffeners made from carbon fibre down the sides, not the alloy ones.

Adam F
11-10-2013, 01:39 PM
You can machine your rear wishbones so you can shorten wheelbase. (mine is about -3mm from memory)

Then you can play around with spacer positioning without having to change the complete chassis..

The car is great already, a shortened version seems a little OTT..

Have you done the steering mods to get improved lock?

dicky14
11-10-2013, 02:04 PM
interested about the steering mods, what are they?

Adam F
11-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Basically, disconnect the servo linkage and see which parts contact the bulkhead/steering links to stop you getting full throw..

These can then be dremelled off and you get more steering, bear in mind though that you can have too much and end up turning your steering down...

adey
11-10-2013, 03:53 PM
The plan with the shorter chassis was to move all the weight closer to the front rather than taking material off the rear wishbones which would in effect move the weight further between the rear wheels.

mutoid
12-10-2013, 02:17 PM
From just watching the tm2's at mansfield in standardish form,they seem plenty agile enough on the twisty stuff.
Something so long it resembles a canal barge defies all logic in doing this though.

welshmerlin
12-10-2013, 09:36 PM
What did you do to the rear wishbones Adam to shorten the wheelbase?

You can machine your rear wishbones so you can shorten wheelbase. (mine is about -3mm from memory)

Then you can play around with spacer positioning without having to change the complete chassis..

The car is great already, a shortened version seems a little OTT..

Have you done the steering mods to get improved lock?

Adam F
20-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Sorry Mike, didn't spot your reply..

I basically took about 3mm off the front of the rear wishbones, then added spacers at the rear to push them forwards...

Have just given it a re-build and put it back to std, so might have to do it again on Tuesday...