PDA

View Full Version : Tires for carpet

Tral
05-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Hello
What are the best tires and inserts for racing on carpet in 1/10 electric off-road 4wd?
I heard that quite good are Schumacher mini-pin yellow with hard insert from the same company
What do you use?

Thank you in advance.

Mike Hudson
05-09-2008, 10:32 PM
the majority use the schumacher yellow minipin, with snee blue inserts or schumacher equivalent i think its the medium schumacher insert

Tral
12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
What is snee inserts and where to buy them?

rcluke
12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
cleveland models sells them, give him a ring.

his number is on his website

http://www.clevelandmodels.co.uk/

his website doesnt show most of the things he sells

mole2k
12-09-2008, 11:36 PM
What sort of a effect does running the minipins on carpet have as one of the localish clubs to me don't allow any form of spike or pin and I've been trying to arrange a group from my club to go there but nobody wants to have to buy specific tyres for it.

Welshy40
24-09-2008, 07:04 AM
What sort of a effect does running the minipins on carpet have as one of the localish clubs to me don't allow any form of spike or pin and I've been trying to arrange a group from my club to go there but nobody wants to have to buy specific tyres for it.

Well the car has major grip with mini pins on carpet, I prefer these to foams and mini spikes (which we used to run before the mini pins came out). My pins last for quite a while before I have to buy new ones for club. Try it and you will see.

V-Rossi
24-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Schumacher Mini Pin Yellow + SCHU6669 insert (blue, hard) works very good.

glypo
24-09-2008, 10:07 AM
MiniSpikes seem to work okay, but not as nice as MiniPins.

I am surprised how much life you can get out of a set of yellow compound MiniPins, best grip too.

ianjoyner
24-09-2008, 11:30 AM

We used to run mini pins, even on touring cars, I quite liked them, the carpet was a bit fluffy as a result, but the tyres lasted ages and no need for traction additive. Although a new set of mini pins always offered a lot more grip than old ones, unlike the rubber slicks used by other clubs which give consistent grip for a long time.

Last year we moved to some new carpet and decided to stop using spikes or pins, this was better for the touring cars, as we can now use rubber slicks in line with other clubs and the tyres still last ages, but with more consistent grip, although we have to use traction additive :thumbdown:.

Not so good with buggies though, we started using Proline Dirt Hawgs so not to fluff the carpet, they're large, heavy and not well balanced, so not exactly ideal from a handling point of view. With traction additive they give a lot of grip, but it is very variable, the tyres basically last a long time, but I miss the handling and run to run consistency with pins.

That's not really answered your question on what using pins would do to the carpet now, but our old carpet was fluffy and I'm guessing the same would happen if we went back to them.

Anyone out there running pins on buggies and slicks on tourers on the same track?

Schjimmy
27-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Front tyres then? How are Schumacher Stagger Ribs on carpet?

Belsten
27-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Front tyres then? How are Schumacher Stagger Ribs on carpet?

schumey mini pins again, front and rear :thumbsup:

V-Rossi
27-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Not always, I tried both and found Staggers to be easier to drive, more consistent and having less grip rolls.

ianjoyner
27-09-2008, 09:30 PM
We just ran mini pins on the rear, we ran mini spikes on the front, which worked pretty well.

Mike Hudson
28-09-2008, 12:35 AM
front stagger ribs will give less steering/oversteer, minispikes are a little slower and maybe alittle safer than minpins BUT minipins all round are are quicker

Schjimmy
28-09-2008, 05:45 PM
I ran Minipins in the rear today, with GRP Conespikes in the front.. I guess they're pretty much that same as Minispikes (right?)

Worked pretty well, but the Conespikes felt a bit "sluggish" though. Had some old used Losi 4wd front inserts in them. My brother ran Minipins in front, but they seemed to be a tad twitchy.. So I need someting that's not as twitchy as the Minipins, but stabler than Conespikes/Minispikes.. Is Stagger Ribs what I'm looking for?

Belsten
28-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I would go for minipins on the front and run a stronger spring on the front

Welshy40
29-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Same as what Belsten said, less grip required on the front harder springs required