PDA

View Full Version : Lipo Fire in my Tm2

Maddy
21-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Raced my Tm2 yesterday at Southport indoor,Fantastic track and top set of people.
During a qually heat the carbon brace shorted across the terminals on the lipo causing a small but expensive fire.
thanks to the super quick marshal my buggy and electrics were saved.
i now know i should of took the dremmal and trimmed around the brace to avoid where the lead plugs fit in the battery.
lesson learnt :cry:

cigbunt
21-10-2013, 07:30 PM
glad all was ok..

it a bit of a design flaw, "they" should sort it out.. and i didnt know carbon fibre was conductive :wtf:

RobW
21-10-2013, 07:37 PM
You are a lucky guy ....brave marshall:o

Maddy
21-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Cheers yeah very lucky,
carbon is very conductive as they say DONT go fishing when its lightning lol,
think it must be a design flaw as the brace rests against the terminals and i overlooked this when building the buggy late friday night,out all day saturday and up early sunday to race so no testing just straight on the track.
wont be doing that again.

stumpiey
21-10-2013, 08:58 PM
i got a TM2 last week, soon as i fitted the lipo with the holder i saw the potential issue and broke out the dremel

jimbobr5turbo
21-10-2013, 09:35 PM
glad all was ok..

it a bit of a design flaw, "they" should sort it out.. and i didnt know carbon fibre was conductive :wtf:

Agree, a design flaw, like some other cars in the past like the predator, a car that cant just be screwed together. A great car, but a few key areas need tweaks during the build. Such a small thing, but no one wants to see their pride and joy in meltdown. Yes cf is very conductive!!

Saw a friends Durango go up in smoke earlier this year when centre drive shaft punctured the Lipo. Scary stuff

Also glad all ok

kartstuffer
21-10-2013, 10:16 PM
It`s well documented in the hints and tips on building the TM2 to give a little more clearance as i have just built 2 of them and did this before i ran them. That said it shouldn`t still be an issue.
Glad you saved the car as its awesome.

turretgunner99
21-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I got a tm2 and ive only been racing a couple of years and I wouldn't like to see my car in flmas, so what can I do to prevent this from happening. pics would be good so I have an idea of what you have done. also I have raced on an outdoor track twice and it seemed fine but this sunday im racing indoors at track acorn thanks

spennyy2k
21-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Turret just trim the corners of the battery strap so it can't touch the lipo connectors

brooksy
22-10-2013, 12:12 AM
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125649

All you need to know about building your TM2.:thumbsup:

Adam F
22-10-2013, 11:38 AM
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125649

All you need to know about building your TM2.:thumbsup:

Should make this a sticky... plus the setups...

pugboy
22-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Glad to hear that not too much damage was done mate and the marshall was ok too. We were pitting next to you on Sunday. Was a good track and a good days racing all round other than your blip.

Maddy
22-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks all,
ill be back on Sunday Chris for round 1 (turf wars)
2 new sets of battery's arrived this morning,checked buggy over including all the electrics,re-made new wires all round from esc to motor and battery,all i can see that is still damaged is the brace but ill sort that before Sunday.
and very slight marks on the body shell but will be good to go again.

Thanks again
Dave

gainsy
22-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Should make this a sticky... plus the setups...

Have made it a sticky :)