PDA

View Full Version : C4.1 gearbox case longevity? Should I be concerned?

southern racer
25-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi,

As I already have a b4.1/spares etc, I recently picked up a s/h Centro C4.1 roller with the to give a mid motor option for indoor / carpet use. However I've recently seen a couple of threads discussing issues with the delrin gearbox case on the originals failing, and both the potential difficulty/ cost of replacing them in future.

Before I kit the car out to run, as the roller has some of the nice hops on, thinking that I might be better to sell this one off as Centro parts, keep the b4 parts and use the cash to buy the C4.2 kit instead?

I'd quite like to keep the original C4.1 in some ways but really depends on...

1) Is the gearbox case problems widespread / inenvitable eventually?
2) Is the main issue where the shock mounts or internal wear or flexing?

Opinions gratefully received.

What are other C4.1 owners planning to do in the future?

many thanks

D20MCK
25-10-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't think it's a issue, I don't intend getting a C4.2 because I'm more than happy with my C4.1

Big G
25-10-2013, 05:17 PM
The only failures I've heard is because bearings have seized and therefore generated heat melting the gearbox. You can't exactly say the gearbox itself is to blame for that.

southern racer
25-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Cheers chaps. Any more related experiences out there?

Lee24h
25-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Just got a c4.1 and a machined part will always be better than a mouled part as it comes from a billet of delrin which will be purer than a moulded delrin part
So should be no problems unless you get monday morning part or friday afternoon part
Trust me im a engineer