PDA

View Full Version : Clubman :-)

siddus74
02-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Good clubman racing tonight, enjoyed the cramped final no end - thanks very much for the warm welcome for the most as usual ...

Whilst I love the F104 Pro the speed of the 21.5T F1's are a little quick for the clubman so the Tyrell with a Silver can is my future I think ...

However next week Stuart and I will be joining the Clubman Tamiya Tourers ... Ive re-radioed my standard kit FF03 and put a non sensored 13T hobbywing combo in to match the FF01 currently being ran, however im using standard rubber tyres not foams ... I think Stuart is going to be doing the same ... I seem to be out of brushed esc's :-( and 15 and 20 turn hpi saturns ...

Let me know if the above is not deemed appropriate for the class so I have time to rejig the power plants.

Thanks as always and looking forward to next week already

Scott. :)

cunawarit
02-11-2013, 02:18 AM
If you want a brushed ESC I can sell you one identical to the one I run in my TL01 for £9. Brand new too! I can't complain about mine, works a treat :)

Chris is running a sensorless 13T in his FF01 and it is about right compared to the F1s. :) Same for my brushed 15T HPI that I tried today. The transmissions in the tourers have massive losses compared to the F1s, I tried running a silvercan and it is pointless when most of the field are F1s. I was still slower down the straight that half the F1 field with my 15T motor! Mind you, it isn't brand spanking, it has had a fair bit of use.

FWIW, I look forward to having more tourers in Clubman! :)

siddus74
02-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Excellent ... Ill try the 13T and take it from there .... what compound rubber are you using on your TL01?

Scott

cunawarit
02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Sorex 24s, but towards the end of a heat they are a little too grippy. Maybe it would be better with 28s, next time I'll try them without juice. As you say Chris runs foams for his FF01, but I have no idea what they are.

PS: I can't wait to see the FF03 :D

Chris56
02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Bring it on:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Should be a really good heat next week.

My targets:
1) To keep my gearbox in 1 piece
2) to not get beaten by Gui's newly pimped TL01:p:p

cunawarit
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Excellent ... Ill try the 13T and take it from there .... what compound rubber are you using on your TL01?

Scott

I think with the FFs traction is the limit :) If someone ran one of those 13Ts in a TT01 or TL01 they might find that it goes like one of the TCs, but the FF probably just spins the wheels :D

I have a couple of sensorless setups at home, 12T and 9T. I don't intend to run them in the TL01 as I don't want it to break.

cunawarit
02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
My targets:
1) To keep my gearbox in 1 piece
2) to not get beaten by Gui's newly pimped TL01:p:p

You were killing me on the straight with your brushless motor! This could degenerate into a power war ;) I do have that silly motor in my Losi that I could transfer to the TL01... :p

Actually, the easiest way to beat you is to conveniently forget my superglue. :D

Chris56
02-11-2013, 08:26 PM
You were killing me on the straight with your brushless motor! This could degenerate into a power war ;) I do have that silly motor in my Losi that I could transfer to the TL01... :p

Actually, the easiest way to beat you is to conveniently forget my superglue. :D

I was only pulling away once I increased the timing though, the downside of which was that it was then getting grip-roll on the first corner!

Superglue?, gearbox is now welded shut with a zip tie. Only problem is that I forgot to clear all of the debris out before sealing it, hench the crunching in the final:lol:

cunawarit
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
lol, as I said. I really have no issue with you cranking up the timing all the way. As much as I did enjoy beating you (for once!) my other priority was for ANY tourer to get closer to the F1s... Doesn't look easy given that the top F1 ended up a lap ahead than the fastest TC (that's full 13.5T TC in the TC field!). Clubman the slow class?!?!?!

Zip tie? I like it, properly Shambles!

PS: TA01 on Ebay! (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-tamiya-TA01-tigerstripe-RS-cosworth-1-10-rc-rally-car-/281196408046)

Chris56
03-11-2013, 10:34 AM
already watching it - although I suspect its going to sell for quite a bit more than the current bid given the original bodyshell

Chris56
03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Update - just bought a Manta Ray for £20. Plan is to use the gearboxes and make the Shamcar a TA01/02. Also need a new shamshell for it though

reg
03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
lol, as I said. I really have no issue with you cranking up the timing all the way. As much as I did enjoy beating you (for once!) my other priority was for ANY tourer to get closer to the F1s... Doesn't look easy given that the top F1 ended up a lap ahead than the fastest TC (that's full 13.5T TC in the TC field!). Clubman the slow class?!?!?!

Zip tie? I like it, properly Shambles!

PS: TA01 on Ebay! (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-tamiya-TA01-tigerstripe-RS-cosworth-1-10-rc-rally-car-/281196408046)

Stick some rubber on the F1,then see if its still a lap up :)

leedolby77
03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Actually Mark you are correct there. When I was racing the ataxia F1's at national level rubber was so much slower than foams. I am tempted to race F1's in the clubman...........

leedolby77
03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Or Tamiya...........

cunawarit
03-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Cool :) The more the merrier!

We had 2 heats of Clubman last Friday and a full final.

reg
03-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Actually Mark you are correct there. When I was racing the ataxia F1's at national level rubber was so much slower than foams. I am tempted to race F1's in the clubman...........

:)

Also it was a bit of a twisty one for the TC's and the GT12 guys struggle for grip in places,

Canawarit At the end of the day it's not what class is the quickest,it's what you enjoy running on a Friday night,

I think you should as they had about 6 in it last week,

Chris56
03-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I nearly bought a Beneton last night but was outbid. It ended at £46 but the reserve wasn't met. How much are F103s fetching 2nd hand these days?

cunawarit
03-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Didn't you just buy a Manta Ray to convert to a TA01?

Is that what you will be racing next Friday?

cunawarit
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Canawarit At the end of the day it's not what class is the quickest,it's what you enjoy running on a Friday night

That really isn't how I meant it at all, if I wanted speed I'd run my Losi 22. That thing is ballistic!!! Its just that the TL01 has been more fun lately.

reg
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
That really isn't how I meant it at all, if I wanted speed I'd run my Losi 22. That thing is ballistic!!! Its just that the TL01 has been more fun lately.

You mentioned about the speed difference in speed in clubman and how the F1 is so much quicker,
You mention wanting to speed up your TC,but might be hard as the F1 is quicker than my TC,
It's clearly not about speed but handling,skill,and the class of car,
Maybe you all run foams?

Chris56
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Maybe you all run foams?

I do!

I like the idea of a gentlemans agreement though, means cars have similar pace but without having loads of rules/ restrictions taking over and we can all have some fun.

The Doctor
03-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Hmm, Clubman looked good last Fri, especially the F1 / Group C cars. Tempting to bring out the Jag again. Hmm, decisions, decisions...

Chris56
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Didn't you just buy a Manta Ray to convert to a TA01?

Is that what you will be racing next Friday?

I have, was starting to give up on buying a ta01 yesterday as cheap ones are pretty rare so was looking at F1s instead. Then I had a brainwave that I could use a Manta Ray instead as a donor car. Brainwaves are quite a rarity for me, so much so that at 3am when this occurred to me I woke the mrs up to tell her:thumbsup:

Chris56
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Hmm, Clubman looked good last Fri, especially the F1 / Group C cars. Tempting to bring out the Jag again. Hmm, decisions, decisions...

What about your MR4 Rally? oh sorry, its not Tamiya:p

Chris56
03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Also, sorry about the millions of posts today but I only need another 31 for my status to change from "senior member" to "mad member"!

cunawarit
03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
It's clearly not about speed but handling,skill,and the class of car

Exactly :)

reg
03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
I do!

I like the idea of a gentlemans agreement though, means cars have similar pace but without having loads of rules/ restrictions taking over and we can all have some fun.

I know you do! Foam tires tend to hide a bad setup as its easier to loose grip than tying to find it to get quicker lap times,

My car gave no quicker lap times from upping the speedo settings because the grip was non existent on rubber 6 meetings old :)

I really enjoy watching the clubman,it's really good to see all the different chassis and how they handle,it's always a give though,what starts out fun,deep down you will all want to beat each other,so with open rules you will all just end up trying to get more than the car an give,started by upping the timing and foams ;)

cunawarit
03-11-2013, 03:53 PM
What about your MR4 Rally? oh sorry, its not Tamiya:p

I'd actually enjoy seeing that blasting past us slower drivers sideways :thumbsup:

cunawarit
03-11-2013, 04:02 PM
I really enjoy watching the clubman,it's really good to see all the different chassis and how they handle,it's always a give though,what starts out fun,deep down you will all want to beat each other,so with open rules you will all just end up trying to get more than the car an give,started by upping the timing and foams ;)

Mmmm.. you make a good point. I just hope it never gets really out of hand...

Chris56
03-11-2013, 04:05 PM
so with open rules you will all just end up trying to get more than the car an give,started by upping the timing and foams ;)

You do have a point there mark, although at least with vintage Tamiyas you have the risk of breaking the car/upsetting the already dodgy handling when you try and spec the car beyond its limits. The classic example was friday night: I upped the timing on my FF01 to give it a better chance of racing the F1s, but it was to no avail as it generated a lot of grip roll and nearly killed my already stressed gearbox

cunawarit
03-11-2013, 11:17 PM
If it turns out that Mark is right and it degenerates into a power war taking away the fun I certainly wouldn't object to everyone being on silvercans and simply putting up with the difference between cars... If the F1s are lots quicker so be it, as long as there are still other tourers in the field it'll be fun for both kinds of chassis.

I would prefer something like F1s being on silvercans and tourers on sports tuned motors (or whatever is cheaper yet slightly better than a silvercan, eg: Mardave G2?). But if the simplest thing is to settle on silver cans for everyone that's OK as long as it doesn't desensitize people from running anything other than an F1.