PDA

View Full Version : Help for the local track

DeadCow
15-09-2008, 07:43 AM
We need to buy a timing system for our local track, but I'm not sure what to get and where to get it.
Any help would be nice.

We don't need the best of the best, as we all need to get transponders as well.

Stian

sosidge
15-09-2008, 08:45 AM
The obvious choice for lap counting is the AMBrc system.

There are several software packages out there, here in the UK bbkRC is the most common, and it is one I have used. It does the job, although it needs quite a lot of experience to make the most of all its features!

I hope you realise how expensive transponder timing is though! £2-3000+ investment for a typical UK club starting from nothing. If that is a bit too much there are a few manual-count software programs out there still, where you tap keys on a keyboard.

DeadCow
15-09-2008, 11:37 AM
I know it's expensive... I've also looked at a lapcounter from Robitronic, very cheap in comparison, but uses IR... I don't know if anyone here has any experience with it?

Hairy Spider
15-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi,

Just wondering what your circumstances are here? Are you a new club starting out or one that's already up and running and looking move on from whatever system you currently have in place ? Do you have a budget in mind ?

Regards,
Jon.

DeadCow
15-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey, we are new, small and 2-3000£ is waaaay out of reach...

At the moment I'm looking at what is available, and at what cost.
Also if someone can tell me where I can find more info (read: how sells it?)

BTW: I'm in Norway, so it will be a shipping cost... If I get it from UK, HK, USA, would not matter.

Thanks

Stian

sosidge
15-09-2008, 03:19 PM
AMB's website is www.amb-it.com (http://www.amb.it)

BBK is www.bbksoftware.com (http://www.bbkrc.com)

Buying the Robitronic system may be a false economy - if AMB is already widely used in Norway, people will have personal transponders which won't be compatible with the Robi system.

You may find a few AMB20 systems for sale occasionally, this is the old transponder system, it counts fine but does not support the AMB personal transponders. The bigger problem is that the handout transponders will probably have knackered batteries, they are not user replaceable so service cost is high, although MRT (www.team-mrt.com (http://www.team-mrt.com)) do make some AMB20 compatible personal transponders.

Hairy Spider
15-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Personally, based on what you've told us, I wouldn't worry about getting a transponder system. All you need is a laptop, a box full of car numbers and a copy of one of the free timing programs. There is a free 'eco' version of the bbk software. It does the job but does take some getting used to. Other free software is available but I don't know the links off hand.

The club I'm involved with ran manual lap counting for the best part of 15 years before we moved to a second hand AMB20 system and it wasn't until last year that we moved to AMBrc.

AMBrc is probably the holy grail for clubs these days but as already stated they cost a packet. The AMB20 system is fine but bare in mind that AMB20 transponders have not been produced for several years now and working reliable transponders are few and far between on the second hand market. You can replace the batteries yourself but again as stated they are not designed to be user replaced and it can be a time consuming job at first. I've probably replaced 50+ batteries now on both AMB20 and RC systems so it can be done but be warned though that dead batteries are not the only reason a handout transponder doesn't work...

Anyway, good luck with your new club (and with whatever system you decide to go with)

Regards,
Jon.