PDA

View Full Version : Mendip

Terry1965
30-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Is anyone racing TC at Mendip on the 15th?

Terry

Tedje van Es
30-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Is there an icerace on? There is nothing on the website though.

Terry1965
30-11-2013, 10:38 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=723540074340469&set=a.426254210735725.108392.405575112803635&type=1&theater

Terry

blue_pinky
11-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Just to confirm...

Mendip are now running onroad electric classes at all club races....what used to be offroad race days, is now anything electric on either onroad or offroad tracks!

So essentially it'll run just like Tivvy club days do through the summer...offroad heats then onroad heats.

Ice racing...maybe...if the winter weather they forecast us ever gets here :woot:

Our new Mendip RC Raceway website is currently being built, and is being updated all the time at the moment, so apologies if full details haven't made it there yet...we are working on it! In the meantime feel free to post in the WORM Racing section if you want to know anything. We will have Mendip RC Raceway oOple section at some point I hope...as soon as Jimmy can make time to set it up for for us!

Terry1965
19-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Only one TC turned up!

Terry

blue_pinky
19-12-2013, 10:53 PM
That's nearly true....

We actually had a few TC's show up through the day, just not in time for booking in, like yourselves, and mostly just to take a look!

Andy Travis showed up with his wet car...and ran it in the proper wet while our offroad finals were racing in the rain....despite the standing water, his car looked like it was running on velcro...the grip was immense! Why more TC's don't run in the wet I don't know...it looking great! All down to the tyres when we spoke to him.

As we explained when we saw you, we don't know how many TC's are up for racing outdoors in the winter, but we can leave the door open anyway as we're ready to run if anyone shows up!

We have a few of our offroad guys getting ready to take the plunge with TC's and give it a go, so we'll def get some running at some point during the winter months, so we'll see who else is feeling brave enough as the weeks go by.

Come the summer season we hope to pick up a good number, and get things really moving...but would be nice to get a few before then too. :thumbsup:

Terry1965
29-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Well it was wet at Mendip today and I struggled with next to no grip for the first 3 heats. It was more like watching drifting or ice racing than TC so if any of the TRCCC drivers want to have a go be warned the grip is very low compared to Heazle.

If you want to run at Mendip in the wet then get some proper wet tyres, at Heazle there is no need for them even with standing water but here is different!

As the track dried a bit things got much better but the other big difference became more obvious. You need much more power and top speed for the strait, with my Heazle set up the car ran out of puff about half way down the strait.

So if you cant wait until the Summer Series then have a go at Mendip, good fun but very different ;)

Terry

jimmyturnbuckle
01-01-2014, 09:07 PM
I dont know where the velcro thing comes from but it was slippery but not to bad with the right tyres and set up. A few laps into the first heat and I was feeling very comfortable in the wet, slippery and fun conditions that the track presented. Heazle is like running on sand paper compared to Mendip and wets aren't needed. But run the wets at Mendip and it's fab.

I fancy some more of that. :thumbsup:

Jimmy.

Terry1965
03-01-2014, 05:36 PM
I just found out they are going to be running 13.5T boosted at Mendip so dont go unless this is what you have! A good motor and ESC for me and the boy is going to be far too much to spend. They do say they will run anything as long as there are enough turn up but it seems a bit hit or miss, so as they say on Dragons Den, Im out..

Terry

DrPaul
03-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Hi Terry, What motor do you have in your TC currently?

Terry1965
03-01-2014, 10:20 PM
I have 2 cars and my boy has 1, they all have different motors. My boy has an HPI Sprint with whatever the standard motor is that they come with? My Sprint has a flux shot motor, they call it the same as a 9T but its a small rotor motor and a little less powerful than the standard 540 HPI motor. My Xray T4 has a 6.5T motor but like both the others is only running a cheap 60A sensorless controller so is not quite as quick as it could be.

Terry

DrPaul
03-01-2014, 10:52 PM
The 9T at 4300KV and unsensored may have been part of your problem with little grip considering it was cold & damp, the wheels are spinning up to fast.

Hobbyking do a 13t unsensored (which should be allowed) for as little as £14.00 I have one in my car with a 60A and its fine. Your boy will be fine running his standard motor.

We have to start somewhere with rules and the 13.5T rule is so its a level playing field for everyone. After speaking with all the TC clubs in the area the 13.5T motor is what most people are running as are the BTCC, BRCA and SICC so thats why we took that on as the "club" motor spec. If everyone is running the same spec motor we will have one class which will make it all more competative for everyone.

Hope this helps.

Terry1965
04-01-2014, 09:38 AM
No the 4300kv motor was not the problem at all the problem was my slick tyres lol.
When I found my wet tyres and put them on the Xray 6.5T unsensored all was well and I had similar pace to the others.

I dont want to go out buying cheap stuff just so we can take part. If we are all forced to use 13.5T boosted then we need to get decent stuff or we will be playing catch up which is no fun.

I agree that 13.5t boosted is a good choice for the track you have and I may change my mind at some point but for me now its a step too far. I sold my old transponders last year and got rc4 transponders for TRCC only to find they dont work at your track.

With my boy as well costs are doubled for me and to get sorted for Mendip I would need to spend too much, maybe next year!

Terry

blue_pinky
04-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Terry, sorry to see the negative post about our decision...but I wouldn't worry...we're not trying to put people off and will never "force" anyone to do anything!

The 13.5 'rule' is more about helping people who are getting into racing TC's at Mendip to know what to get if they are getting ready to buy stuff, to help attract those who run the typical BRCA classes already to come and join in, and to set a consistent standard for our racing in the future.

But...all other classes, and equipment will always still be welcome.

Never worry about turning up to race, just come along and join in and have some fun as you did last time out! We're not going to split the heats into separate classes until the numbers go up enough, and competition gets closer or more serious. Until then it's not worth anyone with kit already investing in new stuff, we want anyone and everyone to come along...we'll just be running the open heats and letting people run whatever they have, just like we did last time.

We're trying to do everything we can to grow the onroad side...and will do everything possible to make sure we never exclude anyone from racing :thumbsup:

Terry1965
04-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Yes a bit negative I suppose but I do agree you needed to choose a class. If as you say your happy to allow us all run what we have then there is no problem. We will not be able to get to enough meetings to compete in any series anyway so nothing lost :)

I misunderstood your standpoint and thought you were only going to allow 13.5 boosted or others if enough turned up for a separate heat!

So apart from my RC4 PT's there is no problem (but that was a bad decision by TRCCC IMO).

Terry

jimmyturnbuckle
06-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Maybe Tivvy should aim for a little more structure as well. Most clubs tend to run 17.5T, 13.5T and 10.5. It need not effect the open class.

Putting in some structure would open it up to newcomers and they would know exactly where they stand in terms of spending their hard earned wonga and not be scared away from the big bad open class.

Thats not to say a little discretion can't be used from time to time.