PDA

View Full Version : $*&@#^ Driveshafts.....

HVAC25000
17-09-2008, 01:11 AM
So the slots in the ball end of all my driveshafts are 1: not in the center and 2: smaller than the pins that go through them. 17 years, dozens of cars, I've never seen this happen. Xtreme needs to have these things made by MIP like Aero did.

Cooper
17-09-2008, 04:47 AM
I have seen Aero ones, believe me Xtreme shouldn't do the same !

the only reason why the things you say happen is just the shiny coating, just assemble and run in the car at full droop, it will become free and very tight without any play. So alot less chance of wear caused by slamming of the pin<->drive shaft:)

HVAC25000
17-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Weird, because the Aero ones are MIP, and I have a LOT of MIP drives, and they're all tops. I think in about 5 of my other cars.

I couldn't run them. I couldn't even move them by hand, and if I'm not strong enough, then I really doubt the car's transmission and my motor/esc are strong enough. I spent 2 hours with the help of another person (4 hours work total there...) sanding, grinding, filing, measuring, and polishing my drives to make them even remotely loose. I've seen cast iron that was more precision than the shafts I got were... Whoever machined these was either asleep, or had no idea that the 3 pieces were supposed to go together. They'll probably fail after a few minutes of running because I had to take so much off one side of each of them that now they're undoubtedly incredibly weak... Oh well, what do you expect for 340 quid.

The rest of the car is great, though. Except that my big bores are missing some orings. :thumbsup:

Belsten
17-09-2008, 06:05 AM
This must be a one off, I had no issues with mine whatsoever, perfect. Neither have I heard of anyone else having any issues. Im sure they would have exchanged them for you

HVAC25000
17-09-2008, 06:16 AM
It took 15 days for for this order to get here, and I needed the car a week ago... I don't have a week to send them back, and another 15 days for the new ones to get here :(

Also, on the big bores, the distance between the clip slots on the shock shaft is .08", the piston is .09" thick. Now I have to sand down all the pistons. Even Tamiyas aren't this much work to build lol

phil c
17-09-2008, 07:02 AM
i built my big bore shocks and had no probs with getting the c clips on , but had the o rings missing :o

niggs98
17-09-2008, 07:08 AM
i have seen the odd tight piston which required a very small fettle but not the drive shaft issue you are complaining about, as cooper says the coating normally makes them initially stiff but they free up after a few seconds running at full droop as said in the manual. perhaps your issues would be better aimed at xtreme themselves via a pm rather than plastered all over the internet as per the norm

HVAC25000
17-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Maybe I should send them out to you to build :thumbsup:

I managed to build the rears, by gouging the clips into the pistons, but the fronts with the rebound valve are absolutely impossible...

AndyM
17-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Maybe I should send them out to you to build :thumbsup:

I managed to build the rears, by gouging the clips into the pistons, but the fronts with the rebound valve are absolutely impossible...

clicky! (http://www.the-pred.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=464.msg3150#new)

Hope This Helps.
:)

HVAC25000
17-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for confirming what I needed to do, Andy :thumbsup: I figured I should sand them, but wasn't 100% sure.

HVAC25000
17-09-2008, 08:10 AM
i have seen the odd tight piston which required a very small fettle but not the drive shaft issue you are complaining about, as cooper says the coating normally makes them initially stiff but they free up after a few seconds running at full droop as said in the manual. perhaps your issues would be better aimed at xtreme themselves via a pm rather than plastered all over the internet as per the norm

Fettle, there's a word I've never heard before :confused:

I get faster answers on here. Xtreme takes 1-3 days to answer my questions. Plus, 2 out of the last 3 emails Yanina says she has sent me, I never received. Who knows why.... but perhaps one of the most expensive cars in the world should come without these flaws instead, flaws that could be fixed by a little thing called quality control. That way, there is no need for me to seek help on the forums... :thumbsup:

I did find another fix for the driveshafts. I'm going to make my own, that way I won't worry about them failing.

Thanks for the help guys.

spenner
17-09-2008, 08:51 AM
I was building my car last night and as with all new cars there were some tight spots.... But this is something you expect when tha car is new... just build it and run it in and everything will become nice and free!!!

Cooper
17-09-2008, 10:01 AM
you must have had bad drive shafts, never heard of this problem so badly,

e-mail them and I'm sure you'll get some new ones for free.

Garry Driffill
17-09-2008, 12:28 PM
When i built mine they were tight but after a run they freed up nice and worked brilliant and they didnt snap/fail..

Mrs.TeamXtreme
17-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Fettle, there's a word I've never heard before :confused:

I get faster answers on here. Xtreme takes 1-3 days to answer my questions. Plus, 2 out of the last 3 emails Yanina says she has sent me, I never received. Who knows why.... but perhaps one of the most expensive cars in the world should come without these flaws instead, flaws that could be fixed by a little thing called quality control. That way, there is no need for me to seek help on the forums... :thumbsup:

I did find another fix for the driveshafts. I'm going to make my own, that way I won't worry about them failing.

Thanks for the help guys.

To clear things up, you emailed on the build of your car at 8.30pm yesterday. We don't work that late. You have also emailed me today. I have to answer emails in the order they come not just pick and choose who I respond to. I have 100's a day to get through. You can't expect special treatment. As you did email me late last night how is that 2-3 days to get an answer?

Mrs.TeamXtreme
17-09-2008, 01:14 PM
The batch your driveshafts came from were fine and we have had no other complaints about them.

footey
17-09-2008, 02:41 PM
ive bent a drive shaft but its my fault as it was a massive inpact :(

Cooper
17-09-2008, 03:17 PM
ive bent a drive shaft but its my fault as it was a massive inpact :(

²

just bend it back and use it as a spare :)

bigred5765
17-09-2008, 03:31 PM
just a idea but is there any chance you could have used the wrong pins, ie drive pins instead of drive shaft pins etc,

AndyM
17-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Don't have drive pins carl :thumbsup:

but like i said; just run a pack through the car and everything will free up nicely.

bigred5765
17-09-2008, 04:21 PM
twas just a idea Andy, i got hold of a car a couple of weeks ago(xx4),to rebuild for someone and they had drive shaft pins in the wheel hubs and wheel hub pins in the drive shafts and couldn't figure out why they kept breaking,lol

Kopite
17-09-2008, 06:08 PM
²

I put my X11 into a hedge at Stotfold, bent the driveshaft, but have bent it back and it works a treat :thumbsup:

matdodd
17-09-2008, 08:04 PM
You legend :thumbsup:

footey
18-09-2008, 07:17 AM
²

I HAVE DONE THIS MY POINT WAS THE CAR IS VERY STRONG JUST MY DRIVING ISNT:lol:

Cooper
18-09-2008, 11:25 AM
OK THANK YOU !

Tom3012
18-09-2008, 11:50 AM
When i got my car, the driveshafts were a bit tight as said, but soon sorted themselves out after a run or two...

You have to remember Lewis and Yanina are extremely busy at the moment, what with sorting out the xtreme rc shop aswell.

As Yanina said, its only fair she deals with emails in the order they come in, they will get back to you, just give them a chance :thumbsup:

Stu
19-09-2008, 06:24 PM
It is very important that anyone reading this thread is not put off purchasing a pred by it.

The X-11 is not a cheap mass produced kit, like a B44 or such (I'm obviously not suggesting they are poor quality - this is just reference to the price & production quantities). This makes the X-11 very different animal.

Extreme are a VERY small operation, producing an exclusive product. It's the equivalent of a Lotus vs a Mazda MX5.

If you think there is someone at Extreme waiting at the PC to answer e-mail 24-7 you have delusions. If you are patient with & polite to Yanina you will get a top level of personal service.

It's a shame you decided to air this on a public forum in the way you have done - it's not the best way.

mattym0310
19-09-2008, 08:12 PM
ignore

franki
20-09-2008, 11:20 AM
It is very important that anyone reading this thread is not put off purchasing a pred by it.

The X-11 is not a cheap mass produced kit, like a B44 or such (I'm obviously not suggesting they are poor quality - this is just reference to the price & production quantities). This makes the X-11 very different animal.

Extreme are a VERY small operation, producing an exclusive product. It's the equivalent of a Lotus vs a Mazda MX5.

If you think there is someone at Extreme waiting at the PC to answer e-mail 24-7 you have delusions. If you are patient with & polite to Yanina you will get a top level of personal service.

It's a shame you decided to air this on a public forum in the way you have done - it's not the best way.

Spot on!!