PDA

View Full Version : longest jump competion - 2wd help

topher2009
14-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Evening

We are having an xmas offroad race on the 28th at stonehaven (scotland). This will be my first offroad race and I will be doing 4wd. However as its xmas there is a longest jump competition so I have got my old B4 out (well used by others but never raced by me!) . So far I have put the stiffest springs on it I have, put a 5mm spacer on the damper and put a 10.5 with silly amounts of boost!

What advice do you have for long jumping! I will have to learn stabilising the car with throttle/brakes in mid air quite quickly but didnt know if there were any other things that will help - i.e. putting lots of weight in the front?

ANy advice out there other than...... it will probably break!

Thanks

Chris

cutting42
14-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah, bigger motor:thumbsup:

mark christopher
14-12-2013, 09:14 PM
No point having a stiff car, you need Max grip to get Max speed for the run up id also be looking at a 6.5 boosted minimum. Keep the car as flat vin the air as you can.

Dandare
14-12-2013, 09:17 PM
You'll need a ramp :p

topher2009
14-12-2013, 10:12 PM
unfortunately the 6.5T is in the 4wd for racing so its 10.5 for the time being but the run up will be quite long so the boost will have time to wind up! I only stiffened everything up as the distance only counts if the car can drive away on landing, Chris is the reference to no point having it stiff relating to getting the car up to speed or does a stiff car affect the car entering the ramp?

and yes...... I believe the longest jump competition will have a ramp!! (that made me laugh dandare!)

HOTSHOT III
15-12-2013, 11:07 AM
TBH, don't mean to burst your bubble but i'd just use a 4WD if you have one, because they offer so much more in flight attitude correction that you'll be less likely to break it in any case.

Sounds like you'll be in the air for a long time which will give plenty of time for this.

Also you could request that the jump comp is staged after racing finishes so whatever happens you'll still get your day's racing.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Losi_110
15-12-2013, 05:10 PM
One tip would be take off the rear wing. It is there to push the car down but you want to keep it up.

Tobamory
16-12-2013, 09:19 AM
I had a 4.5 in my B4 it was silly daft fast. needed grass just to get traction LOL

levontraut
16-12-2013, 12:41 PM
at SCRCC i sometimes try and do stupid jumps but from what i have seen so far, is you really need to have a very stable and balanced car.

i have not tried to do the wing off thing yet but i reckon with enough speed you can do anything.

LOL

Karting
16-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Dont take the wing off, or the car will just nose dive.

bigt
16-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Leave the wing on and put a little dragbrake on to help keep the nose down a little makes it easier in the air

Losi_110
16-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Dont take the wing off, or the car will just nose dive.

So just keep some throttle on to keep the nose up. The inertia of the wheels rotating will also help to keep the car moving further forwards much in the way a long jumper does by cycling their legs in the air. If i'm right your not looking for a general good handling car just one that will cover the most distance.

damo77
16-12-2013, 11:35 PM
tape the sides of the shell to the chassis, this will stop the shell acting like a parachute and will help it travel further. defo wing on and us the throttle and brake as needed to control in the air. the less you can use throttle and brake the better, as either will start to bring the car down.
damian

discostu
16-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Give the car maximum droop at the rear it will launch better from the jump leave the wing on cut the gurney strip right back try and run the shocks with more pack than normal but keeping it reasonably soft.

Fat motor

:-)

Karting
17-12-2013, 08:35 AM
So just keep some throttle on to keep the nose up. The inertia of the wheels rotating will also help to keep the car moving further forwards much in the way a long jumper does by cycling their legs in the air. If i'm right your not looking for a general good handling car just one that will cover the most distance.

I'm assuming you have never broken a wing off a buggy racing. Handling on the floor dosn't alter too much without a wing, but becomes nearly impossible to fly even with throttle wide open.