PDA

View Full Version : front motor. rear motor. ????

tonydevon
10-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Ok so please bear with me and humour my beginner ignorance :)

My basic understanding from reading stuff online is that 1 suits high grip. Tuther suits low grip.

But just how bad or how much difference does it make when you take the car onto a track that allegedly it doesnt suit.

The club im hoping to join is astroturf. I have fallen in love with the look of the cougar kf or kr.

I used to race a topcat that was then converted to a cougar. So it was funny that the car i like now is a cougar.

So i gather that a kf would be best of the 2 for astroturf track. But if i wanted to later try at other clubs or a dirt track just how much of a dissadvantage would it be. Are we talking just a bit off the pace as that isnt an issue due to me being a noobie.

Thanks for any advice.

boy_lard100
10-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Mid motor usually prefers high grip tracks
and rear motor for lower grip tracks,

It all depends where your planning on racing,
What part of Devon are you as most people are helpful and willing to give advice,

If your racing AstroTurf/carpet, people recommended me to go mid motor,
(For this I went for a bmax2)

Paul Field
10-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Hi Tony

I have sent you a pm

Cheers

Paul

tonydevon
10-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks. I have searched but no message.

Im north devon. Hoping to go back to mendip club and see the off road track. Also when tiverton starts again would like to see what thats like. Both tracks are fair distance but for good regular racing I am happy to travel.

andrewc
10-01-2014, 10:16 PM
I'd go for mid motor, as in just in front of transmission, not forward motor, as in middle of chassis.

Forward motor is for super high grip, indoor carpet, dry astro etc.

Rear motor (old school behind transmission) is for low traction.

Mid motor will I think give you a competitive car in most conditions/surfaces whilst you relearn the driving/setup.

I've just come back after 15years away...doing 4WD but everything so much faster than previously. No 'dumping,' no motor skimming, brushes etc is brilliant...but basically I'm now the weakest link!

lardy37
10-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Not saying that my answer is going to help but I'm in Torquay so main tracks I race off road are mendip and tiverton, been running an old xfactory x6 but just got myself the kf, not used it yet so can't tell how good it is but if it's as good as it looks should be good and as most of time when it rains it pours and meetings canceled it would class both tracks as medium to high grip

mattr
10-01-2014, 11:30 PM
As far as I can tell, mid motor is better on things it's not suited too than either rear or front.
Or at least, for us mere mortals, with one car, it's easier to make a mid motor perform well.

Rear motor on astro or carpet is a bugger (personal experience)

Welshy40
11-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Mid motor is the way to go, after all they win pretty much everything in the uk and is pretty easy to set up. I would advise doing your homework first as Schumacher are good but not as good as The rest as they keep changing their product instead of designing a top racer in the first place. Id invest in another make such as Associated B5M, Losi 22.2, Kyosho RB6 (current worlds winner).

Tilly
11-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I converted my rear motored associated B4.1 to the mid motor Centro C4.2 a couple if months ago and it is a lot easier to drive. The car is more planted and handles better through the corners so they can be taken with more speed. I currently race on a mix of slippy floors n carpet. I've not run this car on astro or dirt so can't comment on it. The associated B5M is pretty much this car out of the box, no need to spend money on the conversion. Also the yokamo is a good mid motored car