PDA

View Full Version : General new racer info for York

mpg200
24-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi all,
I've been into RC cars for over 20 years and now finally feel like doing some racing. I did race when i was a teenager with a boomerang but havnt bothered since then. Can my son and I come along and watch for an evening to see what its all about and how it works please? I have an old CAT 2000 which i believe may still go OK. But I am limited with radio selection and cells. So anybody fancy giving me a guided tour soon?

Thanks

Matt

ben
24-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Hello Matt,

Welcome to the Forum. You are more than welcome to come and watch the racing on a saturday night. Im sure anybody would tell you all about how it all works. I guess things will of moved on a little bit from 20 years ago lol.

Ben Jemison :thumbsup:

GOLDGPR
26-09-2008, 03:34 PM
hi Ben & MPG,

Sorry to hitch hike on your post but i am the same was racing around 10 years ago with a losi junior two! currently have a nitro car which i want to swap or sell to get back into electrics again. Was looking to come down on saturday night and check it out.

Do you have an idea of what sort of set-up costs are for a full kit to race ; Car, Electics, Batteries ,Charger etc....

Ta Graham

Mike Hudson
26-09-2008, 07:49 PM
you'll be looking at spending around £350-450 for a brand new good 2wd full setup 4wd will cost a little more, second hand you could get a good full setup going for around £200 I guess.

Garry Driffill
26-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Graham - You have a PM mate.

mpg200
05-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Ok, so I came to watch on saturday evening, (with small boy) and I want to come and race next week. So this is the equipment I have,, Cat 2000 (balding tyres) 27Mhz sanwa radio (3 different crystals I think), 3 sets 4200 nimhs, 1 15T tired modified motor, Fwd ony and fwd and reverse speedos (which is allo wed?) Good charger, Big 12V battery (uncased) Tools table chair etc.. (trainee pit man). what else do I need? Also there was this computer race lap counting thingy?? what happend to the bloke watching and shouting out number as they passed the start? and whats this staggered start all about?? Last time I raced computers were in sci fi films and we all screamed towards the first corner together. I'm looking forward to next week.

Matt

Col
05-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Matt, I'll be running race control next sat, so if you need anything let me know. Sounds like you have most of what you need. The club likes 12v battery's in leak proof containers and tyres are available trackside. You can run either speedo, but the fwd only is more likely the better one to try.
You'll also need to put a hole in your body or wing to mount the transponder (that counts your laps) but I'd do this on sat (we have a reamer) when you can make one the right size.
Doors open 6:00 and I'll try to close booking in at 6:30 to get maximum racing time.
Anything else, just ask! We're a friendly bunch both at York and on this forum:thumbsup:

ben
05-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeh you sound pretty much kitted out fella :thumbsup: If it was me id go for the Forward/brake speedo... much easier to drive... you have brakes then instead of it slipping into reverse :woot::lol:

Ben