PDA

View Full Version : Foams1

i4n
28-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi All,

First day of racing today at my club and we are now using foams as control tyres instead of rubber.

Well it was pants! I could not get any kind of decent setup at all. I know with foam you have to stiffen to get grip but I have not idea of how much etc. The fron was gripping good but the back was just sooooooo loose it was more like driving a drift car.

I'm running a Cyclone and have had a look through the pages and can't find anything remotely like a setup. Does anyone have a foam tyre Cyclone setup they could send me, it would be highly appreciated!

My current setup up is (best I could get it):

Gecko 32 shore all round (control) trued to 58mm

Front:

50 Wt oil.
HPI Purple Spring
Second hole in from the inside on the tower and outside on the wishbone
Differential
2.5mm anti-roll bar

Rear:

40 Wt oil
HPI Purple spring
Second hole from the outside on the tower and outside on the wishbone
No anti-roll bar

I'm thinking about going back to basics (one of Andy Moore's winning setup's for rubber and adjusting everything slowly but I'm not sure of this is the correct way to go or not).

I think I might just stick to my buggy - it's more fun!:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Ian

big air
29-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi All,

First day of racing today at my club and we are now using foams as control tyres instead of rubber.

Well it was pants! I could not get any kind of decent setup at all. I know with foam you have to stiffen to get grip but I have not idea of how much etc. The fron was gripping good but the back was just sooooooo loose it was more like driving a drift car.

I'm running a Cyclone and have had a look through the pages and can't find anything remotely like a setup. Does anyone have a foam tyre Cyclone setup they could send me, it would be highly appreciated!

My current setup up is (best I could get it):

Gecko 32 shore all round (control) trued to 58mm

Front:

50 Wt oil.
HPI Purple Spring
Second hole in from the inside on the tower and outside on the wishbone
Differential
2.5mm anti-roll bar

Rear:

40 Wt oil
HPI Purple spring
Second hole from the outside on the tower and outside on the wishbone
No anti-roll bar

I'm thinking about going back to basics (one of Andy Moore's winning setup's for rubber and adjusting everything slowly but I'm not sure of this is the correct way to go or not).

I think I might just stick to my buggy - it's more fun!:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Ian

Try this

40 wt oil front
35 wt oil rear

40 shore front
35/36 rear

no roll bar

softer springs on the rear, this set up pretty much works everwhere

HTH steve

DCM
29-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Ian, I ran

front
50wt, 2hole piston, middle on tower, outer on wishbone, as long a link as possible on the camber link, and just less than parallel to the wishbone, no roll-bar, hard(ish) springs

Rear
35wt, 2hole piston, in one on the tower, outer on wishbone, long link again, camber link setup as front, no roll-bar, soft(ish) springs

front 5mm, rear 5.5mm very little droop, 2' camber all round, 0' inboard toe on front, 3' toe on the rear.

Got to drive the first lap hard and sliding the car around a little to warm the tyres up, then drive it like you stole it!!

i4n
29-09-2008, 05:28 PM
@ Big Air

Cheers mate - I'll give that a try to start with next meeting.

@ DCM

I did drive it like I stole it but unfortunately for me I was the one on Road Wars that always crashes :woot: Thanks for the info though Steve, I'll bear that in mind next meeting if Big Air's set-up doesn't work for me.

I'll update the thread with how I get on..........

Ian

DCM
29-09-2008, 06:06 PM
rubber and foam settings are quite different

peetbee
29-09-2008, 08:21 PM
stick with the buggy Ian!:p

i4n
29-09-2008, 09:03 PM
rubber and foam settings are quite different

Nah, they are SHED loads different! I know that I'm no Andy Moore but I wasn't having any resemblance of fun on Sunday :cry: until I gave my buggy a blast around the track :thumbsup:.

Seriously though, thanks both for the advice. I'll print both setups out and give them a try next meeting and let you know what works best for me.

i4n
29-09-2008, 09:06 PM
stick with the buggy Ian!:p

I know Pete, I know :(.

I know I shouldn't admit it in a predominantly saloon club, but BUGGIES ROCK!!!!!!

DCM
29-09-2008, 09:22 PM
buggies do rock..... but tyre wear is a killer on an ALL carpet track