PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Mansfield leisure centre

SteveB123
10-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone,
I stumbled across this website by chance and it has taken me back 25..ish years to when I was 15 racing my Tamiya Boomerang around on a friday night at the old Leisure centre in Mansfield !!! I was pretty average racer but loved those days, only gave up because it was turning too expensive.

The Schumacher and Durango buggies look sweet! I've spent the evening reading the site and there's some great advice in the getting started thread too. Some stuff I remember and loads I don't.

I am tempted to get back into this hobby, so I will pop along on a Wednesday. If anyone has a decent 2nd hand gear for sale: chassis, radio, servos, ,motor, speed controller, batteries, the lot ... pm me please.

Steve

dicky14
11-02-2014, 07:34 AM
im one of the old gaurd from the leisure centre days, whats your full name? cos i used to crash a boomerang as well?

SteveB123
11-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi Dicky14
Im Steve Betts from Wudhous! I used to race there for 3 years until I totally wrecked the car. I was a quiet teenager so didn't speak too many though.

Are you racing this Wednesday?

dicky14
11-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Yes fella, im crashing this wednesday, look for the pink and white cars:p

bkelsall
12-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Ahhh... Friday night racing at Mansfield.

Whilst appreciating the aerobics that was running in the other half of the leisure centre.

*Happy Ben* :D

SteveB123
21-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Ok, So i have decided to get back into the sport after 25 year break.... but starting in a very small way!

I have bought an old TC02c with bits and bobs. The diff is a bit "crunchy" but I intend to strip back and rebuild anyway. If I get the bug back I will quickly upgrade.

The only thing is it comes with a wheel transmitter. I tried it today but just do not like it and want to stick with sticks! so the question is should I shell out £150 for a Sanwa Gemini X (far more than the car!!!) or is there another reasonable option or just go for a cheaper chinesse make?

Steve

mutoid
22-02-2014, 04:23 AM
In hindsight,i wish i had got a decent hand set first,i bought an etronix/core and thought it was great until i bit the bullet and got a gemini set. The difference is huge in speed of response.
Even if you dont stay racing for long you would get most of your cash back from it, so don't buy cheap,buy twice. Thats if you can afford the 150 and the blatant rip off of extra receivers :p
Steve.