PDA

View Full Version : New engine tight

burton
05-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Hello,

Should a new engine be so tight that it turns to certain point (top of cylinder) and then seems to be stuck and takes alot of effort to move it again, starter box can not move it.

Only way to move it is for the engine to be out and move it with a tool on the end of the crank.

Yes I am new to this.

Thanks

Stu
05-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah - normal.

Warm the engine with a hair drier or heat gun, that will free it up.

Drop a bit of 2-in-1 oil (just a tiny bit - like a couple of drops) down the plug-hole.

Make sure the starter box has spooled up speed before pressing the car fully down onto the flywheel.

Make sure you follow the running in advice that will be with your engine - it's critical.

Here now will probably follow a lot of posts giving conflicting advice about running engines in........

DCM
05-10-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree Stu, warm the engine first, lube the piston and liner, and just back the glow plug out 1/4 of a turn to reduce compression..... follow guidelines for running in the engine.

jimmy
05-10-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm about to do the same - I was setting up the starterbox yesterday and it had no chance at all of moving it. I warmed it up (quite a bit) with a heat gun and it turned over a lot easier.

franki
05-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Back the glow plug off a bit! as already said hmmmmmm nitro that was fun :woot:

bkelsall
05-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah, if you find it's a real SOB to start with the plug tight you can fire it with the plug loose - just remember to keep the throttle open whilst you tighten it as it wont idle with the loose plug.

burton
05-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Many thanks to all who replied, followed what has been said and it worked. This I have a connection prob now with the batts in the starter box, will be nipping to Maplin tomorrow at lunch to get some more connectors to wire it up to my 12v. I used it to start the engine earlier so works better than the batts as I think one is not right due to the connector..

Just a pain that its free then tight etc.. But it is getting better slowly.. Least I know that the engine will be running in from new, car etc is 2nd hand.

jimmy
05-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I gave up :woot: I got it going for a minute. stalled it, then couldn't get it moving again! I'll give it a go this week when I get chance, I din't realise it was quite so hard.

burton
05-10-2008, 09:11 PM
I gave up :woot: I got it going for a minute. stalled it, then couldn't get it moving again! I'll give it a go this week when I get chance, I din't realise it was quite so hard.

Yep same here, but I kept on going at it. My finder tips hurt now from turning the engine when stuck and also due to heating up the engine. Be nice to run it on a Dyno..

andy110m
06-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Burton, When the engine goes top dead centre (TDC) you can use a screw driver to lever it free instead of removing the engine. lt'll scratch your flywheel but it'll get scratched in use so don't worry about that.

You want to lever it off the chassis in the direction the starter wheel turns. This is so the piston starts near the top and comes down then back up. Hopefully it will have built up enough momentum that it doesn't tdc again.

Hope this helps.

burton
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Many thanks for that andy110m, I only removed it when I couldn't free it the way you suggested.

A Dyno would be a good idea I think.

bondy
06-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Wimps ! :D

jimmy
06-10-2008, 02:34 PM
haha, going to see mr.grunill tomorrow - the cowards way out! :thumbsup:

dave g
06-10-2008, 02:38 PM
cheater :)

burton
07-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I need a new glow plug now also. Had spares but they are not the correct size. Damn.. Nearly got it started, was turning over but just didn't catch. I am so temped to buy a 2nd hand engine at the moment.

Rick
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
We have all been there mate, just persist with it as it gets easier. There is nothing better than hands on experience.

burton
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Cheers Rick, yeah I know. I can't let it beat me..

mark christopher
07-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Wimps ! :D

plug and play boys eh bondy lol

butch
08-10-2008, 07:38 PM
sounds like you guys need to buy a smd starter box, its turned over all of my new engines no problem,:thumbsup:

dave g
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
only because the sirios dont have any compression si :)

as simon said,if you can get hold of an smd box then you wont have any problems.

you will probably find the engine is set too rich to idle properly from new,try leaning the lsn a 1/4 turn and see if that helps,you can always nip the fuel line between finger and thumb too if it sounds really croaky trying to start it,to temporarily lean the engine a little.

burton
08-10-2008, 08:41 PM
With help off the person I got the car from its started and have run about 2 tanks through her tonight.. Yayyyyyyyyyy

Rick
08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I bet you now feel that it was well worth the effort. Good luck next time you start it :D

burton
08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah i do now.. Will see tomorrow..

butch
08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Dave you know just like i do, that sirio are the holy grail of engines, :thumbsup: lean the engine? try turning the tickover up on it

burton
10-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Put another couple of tanks through and doing ever so minor adjustments on the Top end needle