PDA

View Full Version : Xb4 hinge pin bushings

leestokey
12-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Hi quite new to 1/10 off road can someone explain the lower bushings I understand kick up anti squat but what will it do by moving them up and out or down and out. Have looked at a few setup sheets on petit rc and some very different changes especially to diff oils I went Telford which is astro what would be good diff oils thanks in advance.

thorny97
12-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Morning Lee

The bushings can change a lot of things, from roll centres, track width, toe, anti squat, kickup etc.

The best way to understand these is to use the Hudy setup book which explains to great depths what each of them do.

Mark

leestokey
12-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks Mark had a look at the hudy book it's just when and which way round to use them to get the best results I know a lot is driver preference but just after a happy medium to start with, would you use the carpet setup to start with on astro or use then Nathan ralls astro setup, 2 very different ways to set the car up.

neallewis
12-03-2014, 11:08 AM
The hudy setup book is very lacking in this area. the descriptons are either not applicable to the change you are making, or don't really relate to anything useful regarding lower roll centres and track width. it was written for 1/8th cars and i was left with more questions as it did not cover most of the settings on the xb4, or just a contradiction. Best to try them out for yourself in testing to get a feel for how they change the car. Nathan ralls setup is good for starters.
After my year with the xb4, i struggled to make the rear end grip on low traction, the car was always wanting to rotate. what i now know is to try a heavier rear diff oil and go stiffer on rear springs. These have more effect than the lower roll centres.
Also, xray put out an advisory to stop people using the innermost settings as they helped to break diff outdrives.

woOdy
12-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Just be careful though guys as these problems might not be the rear. It might be that you have too much front end and it makes it feel like the rear.

leestokey
12-03-2014, 01:29 PM
So for a start haven't got a lot of practice time do I stick with the 10f 5r diff oils or try 3f 2r, also on the bushings go with the middle but a little bit of kick up to ride the bumps and a bit of anti squat as it's high grip astro also run the 4 x 1.4 holes in the rear shocks, only had the buggy couple of months so haven't got any extra springs and roll bars yet.