PDA

View Full Version : Foreign exchange?

jimmy
08-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Whats the best way to exchange money for my hols? We're going to Aus for 3 weeks on holiday and the rate is pretty good right now (amazing, actually) so I want to jump on it whilst I can. But I don't think you get rates as good as this from yer local post office etc so anyone know a better way?

_sleigh_
08-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Whats the best rate you have seen?? as the Post Office is currenly at 2.4022 ASD/PD

jimmy
08-10-2008, 10:07 AM
to buy? 2.56 on onlinefx.com but obviously the rate is hovering around 2.67 - 2.70 at the moment.

Answer-RC-Pete
MandS are meant to be pretty good these days - worth a look

Lee
Jim, who have you booked your flights etc with, usually they will give you a better rate than most just because you have booked with them. thats what i did last year for the US and gout a few more pennies ;)

jimmy
08-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Etihad - wish we hadn't now but it was the cheapest at the time. Should have gone for Singapore.

Wraggy
08-10-2008, 10:10 AM
MandS are meant to be pretty good these days - worth a look
M&S exchange rate
1 GBP = 2.4163 Australian Dollar

Ian Wall
09-10-2008, 03:04 AM
I have always found the best deals by using the moneysavingexpert website. One of the tools it has is called the Travel Money Maximiser, which can be found at this link http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
The rates for this are updated daily and provide you with a wide range of suppliers. You will also find that the rate can vary according to how much you wish to change. This takes this into account as well.
It is also worth reading other tips from this website about overseas travel, particularly about which are the best credit/debit cards to use overseas etc. I find it a very informative site. Hope you do as well.
For example, best rate shown on there today is £1 provides 2.572 Australian Dollars.
Have a good trip Jimmy.

SHY
09-10-2008, 05:10 AM
I prefer to take out cash on the spot from ATMs. If you have a good Mastercard you can do so worldwide with no fees added as well. And the rate is normally good.

JCJC
09-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Marks & Sparks are handy, good rates, but anywhere with ATM cash machines we use a Nationwide account/card get good rates with no charges - very Austrailian.

Southwell
09-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Etihad - wish we hadn't now but it was the cheapest at the time. Should have gone for Singapore.

My mrs much preferes Etihad to any other airline shes used, including BA.
I get mine at the post office, but that mainly because im too lazy to look around.

SlowOne
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Put your money in a Nationwide account, and use the debit card anywhere in the World. Their rate is always up there, and they charge no commission. You don't have to take out more than you need, so there's less worry about carrying cash about. I've tried them all, and the Nationwide method is easy, convenient and peaceful on the mind! HTH :)