PDA

View Full Version : fake sony memory card?

dave g
09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
i just bought a sony pro duo 8gb card for my psp.
comes in official looking plastic/card packet with a sony hologram on it

it works ok but the write speed from my laptop to the psp via usb is only 1.5mbs at best,on the old lexar 1gb card it writes same data at 4mbs.

read speeds are closer together tho.

also in the psp memory card menu it says 'magicgate unkown',the other one says 'magicgate'

im thinking its faker than jordans norks?

bought from here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320308918743&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011)

the seller has great ebay feedback tho,ive sent them an ebay message so see what happens,anyone have any ideas?

mac
09-10-2008, 01:09 PM
If you go back on ebay, there is quite a few good reviews about how to spot a fake card. some bits you wouldnt notice untill you are shown the difference.

YZ~10
09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
could be mate, I don't know much about them.

I know when I bought a 4GB it took ages of trawling ebay to find one I thought looked legit and it was :)

I hate these scammers on ebay

jim76
09-10-2008, 01:19 PM
probably fake. 90% of cards on ebay are. I purchased one several months back and it would only store around 750mb of data, anything above that crashed. Sent it back, guy claimed it was never received back, and it timed out for a paypal chargeback, so i lost the money.

Be careful. I only buy them from reputable places now, like play.com. The prices have come down so much now it's not worth the risk.

YZ~10
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
never thought of play.com i'll look now..

:thumbsup:

glypo
11-10-2008, 03:22 PM
I think one of SanDisks reviews of eBay cards confirmed that 75%+ of all solid state cards (CF, SD etc) sold under their brand name on eBay were in fact fakes. Sad thing is most people don't even realise. They can make the look exactly the same in the same packaging and it's really easy to change the name on the card so it appears on the computer as genuine when they aren't.

Something not to trust eBay for.

dave g
11-10-2008, 03:58 PM
whats worst,is that i cant file an item 'significantly not as described' until 10 days have passed after i purchased it..utterly stupid rule.

the seller has pulled all his auctions now but still wont reply to me,you can bet by the time i do get to file a dispute he will have pulled his funds and left ebay.

jim76
11-10-2008, 08:36 PM
you should still be able to make a paypal chargeback? think the time limit is 40 days or so on those. Doesn't matter if he has removed his balance as paypal will charge it to his bank/card.