PDA

View Full Version : brushless

niallgc
15-11-2006, 06:07 PM
hi
after destroying qutie a few brushed motors i am thinking of switching to brushless, i need some advice.
are brushless set ups really mantainance free?
what is a good cheap set up to get, i need one thats quite cheap and that can also run brushed?

DCM
15-11-2006, 06:27 PM
They are not maintenance free, you still have to keep the bearings clean on the motor, and lubed, plus you more than likely introduce more heat into the car due to the nature of a Brushless ESC. But, saying that, in 4wd, I think it will be ace, not to sure in 2wd, as you don't get the same 'feel' as a brushed, plus the motors react differently.

paulc
15-11-2006, 06:36 PM
hi

i've got the lrp sphere comp personally i think it's great i've had it about 3 or 4 months now and have not cleaned the motor yet and it's just like it was when it was brand new i've ran brushed motor on it without any problems too i have had one problem with it it got abit hot and the top of the speedo and heatsink came of but i sent it back and they sent me a new one within a week it just depends on how much you want to spend

paul:D

ashleyb4
15-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi DCM

Just wondering im interested in going brushless 2wd what do you mean it doesnt feel the same because im having doubts about going brushless and i was wondering if i should stick to brushed.

A

They are not maintenance free, you still have to keep the bearings clean on the motor, and lubed, plus you more than likely introduce more heat into the car due to the nature of a Brushless ESC. But, saying that, in 4wd, I think it will be ace, not to sure in 2wd, as you don't get the same 'feel' as a brushed, plus the motors react differently.

DCM
15-11-2006, 09:02 PM
easiest way to describe it is...

Brushed is like a normal car, with a normal gearbox, you ease off the power, and the engine slows the car down

Brushless is more like an automatic, when you ease off the power, the gearbox allows the car to free-wheel. Because of this, brushless ESC's either have no motor-breaking or they use a small amount of drag brake to make the motor 'feel' like a brushed motor off power.

stefke
16-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I have an LRP system and I'm very happy with it. I used it all season and have opened it onely twice to clean it and lube the bearings, so it is almost maintenance free.

Using the dragbake setting LRP suggests makes the motor feel like it's a brushed motor. You can hardly feel the difference.

O : I used it in 2WD and 4wd. I DO NOT miss my brushed motors :)