PDA

View Full Version : vega gen 2 chassis repair

pugs
09-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Thought I would share this with everyone:) Mine is a very early gen 2 vega and the front kickup on the chassis started to split and had a hairline crack right along the bottom ( wasnt totally snapped off but would have eventually ) I found a way to fix the problem and is an easier option then tig welding, it also can be done at a very reasonable cost and the "weld" is a hell of a lot stronger than aluminium, about 3 times stronger than the chassis itself:)

I built it up on the inside purely for extra strength, but I could make it flatter and still would be stronger than the chassis itself...if anyone has suffered this and needs a reasonable fix feel free to pm me;)

adey
16-04-2014, 05:33 PM
I believe Lee Martin broke a vega chassis at a meeting and glued it using some crazy epoxy. I think the event and story is in the race reports here on Oople.

pugs
16-04-2014, 10:48 PM
yeah...he snapped his all the way....this one was cracked along the bottom about half way through the full thickness:)

Dyna
17-04-2014, 09:24 AM
I believe Lee Martin broke a vega chassis at a meeting and glued it using some crazy epoxy. I think the event and story is in the race reports here on Oople.

I think he snapped one chassis completely, borrowed another chassis that had some small cracks along the bend line ( tbh they all do after a while ) and used the glue to reinforce the front end kick-up to give him some piece of mind.

xfactor
17-04-2014, 12:16 PM
The Gen3s aren't welded either. I use a small amount of milliput along the fold just for extra support. But looks great what you have done pugs....;)

MHeadling
17-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Gen 2 cars were welded , the Gen 3 had this area beefed up so the weld wasn't required

But good to know if you have a big shunt pugs can weld them up