PDA

View Full Version : Coventry CMCC Dirt track from 2011

spyro
30-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi Folks

I'm really looking forward to Sunday And thought I would share this back from 2011 to remind everybody how good the trucks are on the dirt:

http://youtu.be/ttHJoOVtZ0c

Cheers

Chris

Frecklychimp
30-04-2014, 11:44 AM
yeah its a fun novelty but meeting should be on astro track like the rest of the series, things have moved on a lot since 2011

Buying dirt tyres for 1 meeting makes it ridiculously expensive for a days racing, especially if it rains Saturday night and meeting is moved onto astro at last minute.

Fine for the local Cov lads that run on it throughout the year so get use out of the tyres but for everyone else paying for travel too makes this round a big kick in the wallet.

Would love to run at round 1 but not with a £120 wheel & tyre bill before i leave the house and know if they work or not!

jimmy noke
30-04-2014, 12:02 PM
I agree mark

spyro
30-04-2014, 12:12 PM
yeah its a fun novelty but meeting should be on astro track like the rest of the series, things have moved on a lot since 2011

Buying dirt tyres for 1 meeting makes it ridiculously expensive for a days racing, especially if it rains Saturday night and meeting is moved onto astro at last minute.

Fine for the local Cov lads that run on it throughout the year so get use out of the tyres but for everyone else paying for travel too makes this round a big kick in the wallet.

Would love to run at round 1 but not with a £120 wheel & tyre bill before i leave the house and know if they work or not!

Fair enough...

Slider SCT
30-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Well I'm looking forward to it as its my 1st national,why not run a 2nd dirt track in the series?.
I know the guys at storm valley would be happy to host one and no worries on the weather
Btw this has nothing to do with it been my local track! :-)
Steve

Moss Models
30-04-2014, 09:22 PM
I have some Holeshots on AE/Losi fitment wheels used for one meeting at RHR for sale. They are like new and at least you can use them at Storm or RHR as well.

HarlowS
01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Where on earth are you getting your tyres from at £120 ?!?! :woot:

I have some wheel nuts at £5 each if you need those too :thumbsup:

Frecklychimp
01-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Where on earth are you getting your tyres from at £120 ?!?! :woot:

I have some wheel nuts at £5 each if you need those too :thumbsup:

3 trucks, 6 pairs at £20 a pair and that's without 6 packs of rims at £8 a pair :p

A.R.C Raceway
01-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Due to the non event of mmrx i have just acetoned tyres off and put on new rims. Perfect!
Admit that series could do with another dirt round. Rhr dirt is always an option and make other dirt venue run same tyres. Keeps it simple and cheap.
Coventry always host a great meet. So lets just get on with it, same for everyone.:thumbsup:

A.R.C Raceway
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Well I'm looking forward to it as its my 1st national,why not run a 2nd dirt track in the series?.
I know the guys at storm valley would be happy to host one and no worries on the weather
Btw this has nothing to do with it been my local track! :-)
Steve

And of course Storm Valley.....:thumbsup:

Frecklychimp
01-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Due to the non event of mmrx i have just acetoned tyres off and put on new rims. Perfect!
Admit that series could do with another dirt round. Rhr dirt is always an option and make other dirt venue run same tyres. Keeps it simple and cheap.
Coventry always host a great meet. So lets just get on with it, same for everyone.:thumbsup:

It is the same for everyone... doesn't mean that it's not a bad call and an expensive days racing, from chhatting to a fair few past championship drivers on Sunday it has put off a fair few drivers from going to this round including myself, which is why i brought it up.

If there were more dirt rounds and control tyres so its not a big gamble and local knowledge advantage for some drivers then i would buy the tyres and attend the meeting with my newbie Nephew in tow for his first season of SCT racing.

As it is there are a handful of completely different patterned tyres recommended, good chance with our weather it won't happen last minute as in many past seasons and anyone new or changed trucks over the seasons has to splash out on expensive tyres for one meeting in a championship, from past experience they just end up sat in pit box gathering dust.

HarlowS
01-05-2014, 01:22 PM
So a simple solution would be to make 1 nominated tyre for the event, making choice less a gamble and even it all out.

A.R.C Raceway
01-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Multiple choices means buy a set you can use elsewhere. Also means its not one tyre track like lots of other places.
Put your gear in car and turn up. You will love it once you are there.:thumbsup: anyway, as Mr Chimp says " probly rain and be on astro anyway" :thumbsup:
Everyone is a winner.:cry::D

Frecklychimp
01-05-2014, 01:36 PM
So a simple solution would be to make 1 nominated tyre for the event, making choice less a gamble and even it all out.

Would have been a sensible idea for fairness,

or since all other 5 rounds of championship are on Astro just use the astro track and put to bed the novelty dirt track idea and leave it for the 8th boys to play on.

At MMRX a gang of us were all cursing the track since SCT's being lighter than 1/8ths do not go well over the speedhump jumps, we were all using different random guess tyres and non of us were happy with them and some if us did a recce meeting there the week before where we tested every dirt tyre we could get hold of so was relieved it was pulled in the end.

I'm not anti-dirt racing... RHR Dirt for oOple Twelve was one of the best meetings and tracks i've ever raced on with SCT and all fair and square because we had same tyres... plus 3 days of racing makes the tyre cost acceptable, its bloomin expensive when you can get a 5 meeting seasons spikes for similar money!

Not exactly encouraging drivers into a championship with extra costs for just 1 meeting is it?

Justingt5
01-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I am looking forward to the dirt in honesty, but I agree for those running multiple trucks all setup for Astro its a big extra cost.

I see last year there were 2 rounds at coventry so why not just add another round in there again that way the tyres will get more than one round. I will use the tyres again anyway so its not an entire waste for me.

A control tyre for dirt would have saved me many many hours of trawling the web and made the buying process far simpler.

As for weather it looks fine and dry at Coventry airport all weekend, also only forecasting 4mph winds which seem very low and will help with the jumps a bit perhaps :)

def12007
01-05-2014, 03:20 PM
i only have one set dirt tyres M4 super soft and ran car once at Storm and car set up for dirt anyway :p:p so happy days lol

quincey
01-05-2014, 06:50 PM
I've ran at storm valley too but the cov dirt ain't nothing like what's at storm valley,cov had aggressive lumpy dusty muddy dirt so you need big blocky tires not the holeshot/sniper type as these will be worn out in 1 heat...plus cov is a lot faster and way larger...

bigtrev
01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
There is 3 off us camping there sat from leverton is anyone else camping :(.

Also is there any rules on what tyres you can use i see that it says what is best to use but nothing says that you can use any tyre you want.

I no we may not do very well with the wrong tyres but it is all fun and a different track to have a go on a first for dirt for us. :thumbsup:

thanks

Moss Models
01-05-2014, 09:18 PM
You can use whatever tyres you want as far as I know.

I'm sure you will love it!

bigtrev
01-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks bud yeah it's a bit of fun. See video looks big track. That's good about tyres. Doesn't look very warm for camping sat night hope there's other people camping :)

john wolfe
01-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks bud yeah it's a bit of fun. See video looks big track. That's good about tyres. Doesn't look very warm for camping sat night hope there's other people camping :)
You won't be alone in the wind and a busy airport lol there's a few camping mate there's a pub up the road
John

john wolfe
01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
There's a few camping mate and it does get windy next to that busy airport lol there's a pub just up the road
John

Slider SCT
01-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I'm camping...ish Trev,sleeping in van the because I'm too lazy to put up a tent and I can cuddle my truck! Lol
Steve

quincey
02-05-2014, 05:45 AM
as regard to rules on tyres...you can only run sc specific tyres..no rally x tyres are allowed...as for camping me and my mate are camping too and maybe the wife if we can find a cat sitter...

john wolfe
02-05-2014, 07:13 AM
See our dirt track at Coventry well worth ago its fun
Cmcc dirt track Coventry on you tube now
John

Justingt5
02-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Not camping for this one as only live 20 mins away, will be camping at most of the others in the series!

PaulD
02-05-2014, 11:59 AM
There is 3 off us camping there sat from leverton is anyone else camping :(.

There is a fair few camping Saturday night, plus I'll fire up the club bbq for people to cook there own food in the evening.

Paul