PDA

View Full Version : Poll....heat style on club nights!

blue_pinky
03-05-2014, 01:34 PM
So, we appear to have hit a moment of indecision amongst the committee...over the years the club has mostly run the traditional style of heat sorting, with heats ordered by class first and then ability within the class.

With numbers being so high, and driver skill levels being so mixed, over recent weeks we trialled the mixed 1/10th class, sorted just by ability. The theory behind it being....to help minimise the number of heats on the night (maximising track time!), and your only racing people that are close to you in pace/ability (minimising lapping and racing against people of dramatically different pace/ability).

So...our question now is...which do you prefer?

Traditional style, classes separated
"New" style, mixed classes, sorted by ability/results

Your feedback will help us decide the fate of the racing in future weeks!

Please reply to register your opinion :)

blue_pinky
03-05-2014, 02:02 PM
To add a bit of background, we have had really positive feedback from some people about the new style, but we've also had some negative feedback from a few.

We're not sure what the balance of opinion is amongst the racers at the club, hence the poll.

My own personal feeling....I love the new style! It straight away felt like the racing was closer and way more competitive and therefore much more fun :thumbsup:

Mainly because you get more drivers to race against at the same pace as you...which is way more fun, and you spend far less time worrying about the slower/faster cars in your heats and reduce the amount of lapping and resulting incidents this mismatch in pace causes.

This pace difference is particularly true for the fastest guys and slowest guys when they end up on track together with low numbers in one class. The racing then becomes much less competitive and much less fun sadly.

I don't want to bring 2 cars every week to find out which class is going to be best attended, so knowing it doesn't matter makes my life much simpler.

And the main reason we tried it in the first place...for the club nights it means you reduce the number of heats with low numbers racing in them. More heats = less track time, and heats with small numbers in them = crap marshalling! So it was a measure to help on those 2 things.

If we had even more racers and enough time to separate them all out, splitting the heats into classes would be absolutely fine, and I'd prefer that too, but Friday nights are a challenge on both counts!

Interested to hear how you all think it went though.

Ashleygibb
03-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Personally myself I've only been twice and enjoyed both styles of racing but the new style does have an advantage of not worrying about much faster cars(4wd) flying past, it's easy for myself to crash and damage my car without worrying about moving over for faster and better drivers

FARLEY
03-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Loving the mixed heats much closer racing 2wd just as fast or faster in the right hands my vote us keep it mixed on ability .

Body Paint
03-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Much prefer Mixed class, it's so hard trying to find away around multiple cars that are 8 or more laps slower. It is a nightmare for the fast guy and the slow guy.

Friday just gone almost was a good split, though I did notice the fastest 4wd in heat one was quite a few laps faster than the other cars in the heat and got pushed into the wall in round 3 then gave up and went home.

I feel that some of those who complain about mixed heats are the ones who always complain about getting punted off regardless of what class they are racing and can now direct their complaint at a target ie. Mixed classes.

dwp102
03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
I think since running mixed classes the driving standard has gone up mmassively. There is an incentive to try as hard as possible because there is an incentive to get into a higher final. It would be a shame to go back to the separate class system I think.

shaungooner
04-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Mixed heats all the way for me

I feel it produces closer racing with fewer incidents and has contributed massively to an improvement in driving standards

I've been having much more fun too!